Austrian Audio HI-X55
Feb 4, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #31 of 238
I e-mailed Austrian Audio directly about the connector on the headphone side
here is their response:

"on the headphones side there is a 2.5mm connector modified with a locking mechanism.
Hope this helps!"

So basically its like the ATH-M50x headphones

Figured I share it in here if anyone else was interested :smile_phones:

Feb 8, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #32 of 238
Lol lol lol

Those who know me also know that I am not a friend of the cheap stuff ... also the cheap models from AKG Vienna in the past weren't exactly convincing ... but I was really surprised with the HI-X55 from Austrian Audio ... why?
It is not as sharp as the K812 in the treble and not as bass heavy like a K872 / Denon AH 7200 / Campfire Cascade or many other models at higher prices. We're talking about a retail price of only USD 299!! A bargain!

In my opinion, only an Elegia with the Brainwavz Pads is a class better ... but it has also a different Price.

How would I describe the sound signature of the HI-X55? Bright ... but not too bright ... not sharp ... what surprised me most was that the bass is rather subtle / reserved and at no time bloated, like many other closed models at far higher prices. The construction and material appearance as a whole as well as the comfort is on top. 300 USD? … Other manufacturers are not even able create top quality ear pads for 250 USD! lol.

My English is not the best ... Head Fi is therefore not my typical playground, which is not to say that I do not keep an eye on it

Give the little HI-X55 a try, because for its price, I don't know anything comparable.

NOMAX

PS.I forget to give Austrian Audio an Oscar for this Ear Pad Construction...it's like a Blower Bar/Baloon when you Press with your palm on it...great Idea
How its compare to Akg K812?

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #34 of 238
They look nice and look very promising.

But more headphones? Hmmm. Won't go well with my rehab.

Feb 15, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #37 of 238
People having both were telling that the 812 is a class better.

I don't understand why people feel the need to compare, as not only is the price range different on the K812 compared to the X55 but also one is an open back and the other is closed back, so soundstage is completely different... and also the use case for each of them.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #38 of 238
I don't understand why people feel the need to compare, as not only is the price range different on the K812 compared to the X55 but also one is an open back and the other is closed back, so soundstage is completely different... and also the use case for each of them.
Because every new product needs to be hyped beyond reason. And people will not shy away from illogical comparisons to achieve this.

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #39 of 238
There's a german review here:

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/austrian-audio-hi-x55-test.html

While technicalities are very good (Soundstage, Imaging, Details) it mentions that the mids are not tuned flat and say this headphone is better as a monitoring headphone for vocal recordings and not for mixing/mastering work because you can't rely on the mids. Too bad.

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #40 of 238
I've just today spent some time with the Hi-X55, fortunately with my own source (my old AK380SS) and music. Comfort is very good indeed and reminds me of the K812, sharing the idea of the pad form. Clamping seems perfectly balanced, weight is less than expected from pictures. Build quality seems excellent, but I'm not too fond of the design. Ok, at least it's not butt ugly like that one closed French model...

First thing to notice after putting it on and Postkartengrößen some music was how spacious it sounds. Second thing was that the upper mids seem a bit pronounced and not completely natural, sometimes a bit shouty (I can understand what the review linked to above criticizes). Treble seems fine, voices rather light, missing some volume. Which leads to the area that's most problematic to me: bass. It's there, and it's very clear, reaches quite deep even. But it's stripped of all fun for my taste. I listened much louder than I prefer to get some life out of it, dialing the volume back left me wanting.

I can imagine the Hi-X55 being suited to working with music, but I think I would not gab it to enjoyable music while reading... I don't do critical listening, I don't want to dissect music but enjoy it. While I was really waiting for a headphone built in Vienna (where I live), I think I'll let me reservation expire and pass on this one. Still I applaud Austrian Audio to not follow the crazy pricing that now seems so en vogue (and which brought me to largely ignore most new models anyway)
6971B2C8-BB6B-4E5C-887B-C23DBA5D5A25.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #41 of 238
Here's a new review, in german though:

He mentions the not perfect tonality but still gives a very favourable review. From his description the tuning reminds me of the ATH-W5000 which was technically very good but had a not ideal tonality, light on bass, heavy but not harsh on treble and extremly revealing. Still it was one of my favourite headphones back then when it came out. The Hi-X55 is probably alot more neutral than the AT with only small peaks and dips. This review definately made me more interested in the cans again. Not sure yet when i will give them a try.

Mar 15, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #42 of 238
I still have my pre-order in, but they keep delaying it ever 2 weeks...

but after watching the review I think maybe I should cancel my order, cause i do like a good bass in my headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #43 of 238
I still have my pre-order in, but they keep delaying it ever 2 weeks...

but after watching the review I think maybe I should cancel my order, cause i do like a good bass in my headphones.

for me as a fan of electronica in general and EDM/Deep House bass was just too light to be fun. It was very detailed and did go deep, but overall just too polite. it's not sharp or annoyingly treble-heavy, treble is done very well actually. but for someone who likes bass I'd definitely recommend to try before you buy.

Mar 17, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #44 of 238
for me as a fan of electronica in general and EDM/Deep House bass was just too light to be fun. It was very detailed and did go deep, but overall just too polite. it's not sharp or annoyingly treble-heavy, treble is done very well actually. but for someone who likes bass I'd definitely recommend to try before you buy.
thanks will keep it in mind
problem is getting to try it first is harder these days than ever before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back