Australians: Group Buy on Flat Pads for Grado/Alessandro Headphones
Jan 1, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #32 of 55
I'll take a pair of these too
wink.gif

Just got some SR-80's about 2 days ago...

Jan 10, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #35 of 55
Just got mine yesterday, thanks becomethemould for organising this. We Aussies always miss out on the goodies!
The flat pads are amazing!! There is a world of difference between the bowl pads on my sr225! It became slightly muddy and compressed at the top, however the "grado" harshness was gone and bass dramatically improved. The bass is amazing, and even comes close to the bass in my k240s which I consider as a bassy phone! So much impact and in-your-face sound, perfect rock cans!!
I'm a definitely a convert now!

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #38 of 55
Got mine as well and have been trying them out on my usual suspects for demoing new gear. Generally I do prefer these to the bowls for the same reasons others have mentioned. Sometimes they make the sound a bit on the dark side and closed-in, which is when I switch to bowls or go back to the Senns. To me the flats sound better than reversed bowls, too.

Thanks mouldy!
rs1smile.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #39 of 55
Thanks becomethemold! great job bringing everything here.

Now I have a total of three different Pads
smily_headphones1.gif
: Flats, HD414 (both modded and unmodded) and modded comfies. On my MS-1 the vocals lose some clarity and now don't sound quite as natural or convincing to me compared to my modded HD414, but the bass is much fuller it's almost unbelievable that a change of pads can have this much effect, even to me. Has anyone noticed that the HD414 pads molds to the contour of your ear overtime, that's awesome
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #40 of 55
got mine this morning!!! thanks a bundle peter!

i could never stand the bowls, now the flatpads as well as the sennpads were a different beast altogether. Thanks to the new pads, my sr80s have been given a turbocharged boost. I'm actually using the grados as my main rig over the hd580!! Could it be that 'magikal' bass??

p.s. Is it just me, or am I the only one here who prefers the sennpads to the flats?? anyone??? I find the flats to have incredible bass, but comfortability is an issue, and I must say the highs have been attenuated, but it still grates my eardrums. The sennpads are just ......right... ah well...

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by eitook
p.s. Is it just me, or am I the only one here who prefers the sennpads to the flats?? anyone??? I find the flats to have incredible bass, but comfortability is an issue, and I must say the highs have been attenuated, but it still grates my eardrums. The sennpads are just ......right... ah well...

Wow, if you're still hearing shrill highs with flats then perhaps your source or amp is still making it sound harsh? Either that or you might have mild hearing loss in the upper freqs...

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #42 of 55
eitook, you're not alone. I still prefer the sennpads for some music, where loss of clarity in the mids and highs is more important than extra bass impact. I find the flats smooths over vocals too much and sometimes the bass spills over the top of it. And before the flats I thought the bass was too thin! Maybe I just got used to the HD414 pads.

Jan 12, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosch
Wow, if you're still hearing shrill highs with flats then perhaps your source or amp is still making it sound harsh? Either that or you might have mild hearing loss in the upper freqs...

i suspect its my equipment, the rega: ear amp specifically. apparently it is not well suited for low impedance cans and adds aggresiveness to the already aggresive grado sound. OR you're right... i might just not be a grado man....alessandro ms-2s here i come!!!!!!!!! :
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back