Australian Customs (at airport)
Feb 1, 2007 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tachikoma

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyway, I'm going to study in Australia and I'll be leaving in a few days - carrying goods whose value far exceeds the AUD1800 limit for duty free concession (coming with someone else), like a laptop worth AUD2000, a Stax Gamma Pro, SR-5, SRD-X amp, HD650, MF X-can V3, 320gb hard drive with various accessories... >________>

so how likely is it that I'm going to have a huge customs bill to pay before I leave the airport? Should I try to sneak them past customs undeclared? Sending some of the gear via post seems plausible, but the way Australian Customs value goods sent by post seems to be awfully vague - would a x-can v3 and HD650 exceed the AUD1000 limit? Thanks

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 23
As long as they are not new items in box, you'll be okay.

Australia customs are the worst people to deal with. They are always on a power trip and they think Australia is a world player.

Sometimes I just wanna yell in their face:

"NO ONE IS GOING TO WASTE THEIR TIME BOMBING ANYTHING IN OUR TINY INSIGNIFICANT COUNTRY!!!!"

KrooL rant over!

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 23
Monash/Trinity?

Anyway, how in the world are you bringing all of that without exceeding the luggage weight limits? I assume you have other things to bring too like clothes and well, other personal items?

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 23
^ I would like to bring the HD650 box though :x helps the resale value.

Australian customs might not be the best people to deal with but at least the rules and regulations are - they're 10 times better (taxation rates, import regulations, etc) than Malaysia's, anyway.

@jmmtn4aj: someone else is coming with me, so I can effectively carry 50 kilos of luggage. ANU, btw.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@jmmtn4aj: someone else is coming with me, so I can effectively carry 50 kilos of luggage. ANU, btw.

Ah, Monash and Melbourne University are the most popular destinations for Singaporeans IIRC
wink.gif

Looking forward to it? My parents wanted to send me to Australia to complete year 10-12 and then university, but after visiting a couple of schools (Guildford Grammar and one other) I decided that the cultural shock would be too much for me
blink.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Looking forward to it? My parents wanted to send me to Australia to complete year 10-12 and then university, but after visiting a couple of schools (Guildford Grammar and one other) I decided that the cultural shock would be too much for me

Looking forward to it? Nah, I'm kinda ambivalent about the whole thing - I left far too many things for the last minute and having my departure delayed for a couple days would have helped tremendously...

The cultural shock probably wouldn't bother me much, I think.

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 23
Nah they won't..
Unlike some countries though, they xray every single bag even when you have nothing to declare

In fact.. when you declare something they only check the bags with declare-able stuff in it
Kinda weird

And to the krool dude, i think they're more concerned about viruses and possible new pests rather than bombs.. especially after they've landed

Feb 1, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 23
jdimitri has it right. Australian Customs at airports is more interested in the enforcement of quarrantine regulations and stopping illicit drug smuggling etc. I have generally found them fairly easy going about other things like personal import limits. I must have been through customs at australian airports 60+ times and I have had no issue with them.

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 23
I just came back from Sydney last night. Australian customs are a pain in the ass coz they dont a allow a lot of things and x-ray even if you dont declare anything. I wouldnt worry about declaring any of the stuff you listed. They have no clue how much any of it costs anyway and I dont think they would care. Just keep your cool and you'll be fine. We had some foods so we had to declare it... they didnt even open our bags after they x-rayed it. They didnt even ask me to open my camera bad (most airports look through it).

What city are you flying to?

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 23
Funny, I've always had good experience dealing with customs at Sydney airport.
I don't know why you guys had such hard times.

It's true, they won't know the value of little headphone amps and all that, don't worry about it. At least not until I work there.
icon10.gif

As long as you don't bring fruit, seeds, wet food, you will be fine.

Customs in Asian countries are usually worse to deal with IMO.

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you don't bring fruit, seeds, wet food, you will be fine.

QFT, once my friend's parent got to eat a box of mooncake in front of the custom officer because he give them a choice, either they eat them or throw it to the trash can.

Australian custom is a pain compare to other country IMHO, they will open and check your luggage even if you declare nothing. US customs is a lot better. The worst is Indonesian custom, corrupt individual who will find ways to get money from you.

Feb 1, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as they are not new items in box, you'll be okay.

Australia customs are the worst people to deal with. They are always on a power trip and they think Australia is a world player.

Sometimes I just wanna yell in their face:

"NO ONE IS GOING TO WASTE THEIR TIME BOMBING ANYTHING IN OUR TINY INSIGNIFICANT COUNTRY!!!!"

KrooL rant over!

à la Helen Lovejoy: "Won't someone PLEASE! think of the kangaroos!"

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just came back from Sydney last night. Australian customs are a pain in the ass coz they dont a allow a lot of things and x-ray even if you dont declare anything. I wouldnt worry about declaring any of the stuff you listed. They have no clue how much any of it costs anyway and I dont think they would care. Just keep your cool and you'll be fine. We had some foods so we had to declare it... they didnt even open our bags after they x-rayed it. They didnt even ask me to open my camera bad (most airports look through it).

What city are you flying to?

Sydney
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah they won't..
Unlike some countries though, they xray every single bag even when you have nothing to declare

In fact.. when you declare something they only check the bags with declare-able stuff in it
Kinda weird

They've changed that now i think, unless we got special treatment. Just on the 29th of Jan when i came back from Manilla, we had one bag to declare but they still x-rayed ALL our bags, then had a look through the bag that we declared (just some snacks)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back