Austin Meet 2/29/20
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #17 of 41
Location (will add address number day before): https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wilderness+Dr,+Austin,+TX+78746/

Time: 1-6pm, though there's not really a hard start/stop

I'm going to host it at my house so we have more time. It has plenty of room.

Have:
KGSS+SR-009
RME ADI-2 DAC
Aune X1S
Asgard 2
Bifrost 2 4490
Audio-GD NFB-15
Mad Dogs
Bose QC25
Tacstar Pro-80
Bunch of cheaper headphones for comparison

Wierd USB dacs:
Stoner UD120
HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC ES9023
Fiio E10 (if I can find it)
Creative X-Fi HD

Do you happen to have an Oppo-pm set?

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #18 of 41
I tried to get a PM-1 or 2 (Can't remember which), but wasn't impressed enough to buy them at full price. And I really didn't like the PM-3(those are the closed ones?)

The mad dogs just destroy all the closed headphones I tried. The Fostex TH-900 were better, but very different type of headphone. (and 3-4x the price)

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #19 of 41
There is enough time to plan ahead, I should be able to attend.

My collection is:

Headphones:
Atticus
Aeon Closed
HFM Xv2
Elear
6xx
58x
Nightowl
Mobius
Andromeda
Atlas
Ex800

Dacs /Amps:
Thx789
MCTH
Ifi black label
Es100
E1da Powerdac v2
Khadas toneboard

I can bring any and all if desired. Will be driving up from San Antonio.

Oh geez I didn't see the last line of that post. The Atticus and Aeon C are two I'd absolutely love to have a good long listen to. I wasn't able to figure out how to get the Mobius fully passive last time, so I'd love to hear those again. It seems like you've got a bunch of really solid benchmark headphones, so I'm left scratching my head because I don't want you to have to haul everything over. Maybe just the Hifiman Xs as well as the THX for power?

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #20 of 41
I am in San Antonio, and can come up for a short time. Actually in the market for a new pair of main listening headphones. I have been wanting to try out a pair of Audeze EL8 Closed as well as some Focal Elex, or similar open cans. I can only bring a pair of Oppo PM3 and an Audeze Mobius Headphones as this is pretty much the extent of what I have currently. But anxious to meet some people from the site and do some listening.

James

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #21 of 41
I am in San Antonio, and can come up for a short time. Actually in the market for a new pair of main listening headphones. I have been wanting to try out a pair of Audeze EL8 Closed as well as some Focal Elex, or similar open cans. I can only bring a pair of Oppo PM3 and an Audeze Mobius Headphones as this is pretty much the extent of what I have currently. But anxious to meet some people from the site and do some listening.

James

Oh hell yea! Look forward to seeing you there.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #22 of 41
Okay...I will be attending. Partially because I've made a decision to start selling off most all my headphones soon, so if any one is interested in anything I'm bringing (save as noted N.F.S.) just get with me at the meet. After the meet I will start listing what I'm selling in the classifieds section. So if you are interested in something you have an opportunity to check it out at the meet.

What I plan on bringing:

Estat Rig: Laptop-> RME ADI-2 DAC [N.F.S.] -> NAD C275BEE stereo amp [N.F.S.] -> Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 estat transformer

Estat headphones:
* Kaldas Research RR1 (with new replacement cups and 3mm spacer that just recently got in a few weeks ago)
* STAX SR-L300 Limited (L700 modded and blu-tacked earpads)

Tube amp rig [all N.F.S.]: Laptop -> Schiit EITR -> Gustard X20U DAC -> Schiit Loki -> Garage 1217 Project Embers (x2)

Solid Stage rig [all N.F.S]: Yamaha DVD S-1800 SACD/multimedia player -> Garage 1217 Project Polaris

Non-Estat Headphones:
* modded Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts [N.F.S.] (Lawton driver damping, Jmoney V3 lambskin pads, custom attenuators)
* modded Koss Porta Pros [N.F.S.] (Yaxi pads, Parts Express headband, custom strap/pad)
* modded Sennheiser HD58X (zebrawood cups, Yaxi Alcantara pads, and Blu-Tack sealed)
* modded SHP9500 (Shure 1840 pads, custom leather strap, Vmoda Boom Pro cable/mic, and blacked out grilles)

I also have the Beyerdynamic DT-177X GO [N.F.S.] I could bring if anyone really needs to hear it.

Really interested in hearing the SR-009 on my rig before listing the Mjolnir SRD-7 in the classifieds, it's the only modern STAX I've not yet heard on my rig. Almost heard it at last months Austin meet, but by the time I realized an SR-009 was at the meet it was too late and we had to start shutting down and packing up.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #24 of 41
Just curious if anyone attending would have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 to listen to, I like a lot of acoustic, vocals music and I have heard the 600 is extremely good at vocals and would love to hear a set before I invest in them. Also would like to hear a pair of Audeze LCD2.

Thank you,
James

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #29 of 41
Thinking of bringing an assortment of headphones, including an HD-600, which was requested. Mine has an upgrade third party cable and the stock HD-650 cable, which is said to be a bit better than the cable that came stock with the HD-600. One of the headphones I am bringing (probably the Focal Elex) will have a 4 pin balanced XLR cable.

For fun I plan to bring a Nakamichi 2 head cassette deck, Technics belt driven p-mount turntable (with upgraded cartridge and a stand alone phono pre-amp) & a disc player. Headphone amps will probably be the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the Beyer A-1.

It will be fun (at least for me) to compare my "decent" entry level (or so) phono kit to Barry's real deal phono set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back