Austin 2012 meet impressions
Mar 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #62 of 84

Quote:
I can see why you like them Steve and I have to say that it took me a while to mentally adjust to the presentation. They sound so polite relative to the Audeze and seriously bass "less" but when you give them their dues, they really shine. Bass remains a little on the lesser side but there is no doubt that they can present any type of music with alarming clarity. I also agree with you about the mids, they remind me an awful lot of the vintage ortho mids ; just really well balanced with a dollop of life. As for your rig, well it is seriously lacking in tooobz but gorgeous as hell. 

..dB

Thanks Don. I sometimes route my two active subs into the mix (they sit right under my desk). That gives the K1000 bass, and visceral bass at that. Get too far away though, and things start to sound strange.

Quote:
Do Austin meets come fully equipped with Rudy's x-tra moist brisket?  

X-tra moist was the general theme of this meet, as we unloaded gear in typical Texas downpour.
tongue_smile.gif
 Garbage bag amp raincoats FTW!

Quote:
You guys sure know how to do it up right.

We read "Do it up Right for Dummies".

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #63 of 84
Gotta say my Friday night experience at Salt Lick was sub-par, but maybe it was a lack of tequila. And kudos to Chris for that video - the still shot makes me look like the Sith, charming a young and impressionable luvdunhill...  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh, and shout out on the pics - while i have shown them to my wife (proving I was at least *somewhere* listening to headphones), she still just can't accept we would drive hundreds of miles to listen to headphones. Funny, she was ok taking a ship thousands of miles to the Caymans to listen to McManus's headphone gear... guess that was different.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #64 of 84

Quote:
Gotta say my Friday night experience at Salt Lick was sub-par, but maybe it was a lack of tequila. And kudos to Chris for that video - the still shot makes me look like the Sith, charming a young and impressionable luvdunhill...  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh, and shout out on the pics - while i have shown them to my wife (proving I was at least *somewhere* listening to headphones), she still just can't accept we would drive hundreds of miles to listen to headphones. Funny, she was ok taking a ship thousands of miles to the Caymans to listen to McManus's headphone gear... guess that was different.

Sorry about the lack luster night at the Salt Lick.  Was it in Driftwood?  I haven't had any bad experiences, but every restaurant can smoke a bad steer every once and a while.

I knew the Caymans are good for scuba and those special number accounts, but was unaware of any headphone connection.  Jamaica seems to be known more for that--ya man!

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #65 of 84
Santa lives in the Caymans.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #66 of 84
Salt Lick in Round Rock... probably just what I ordered... and yes, I got to see Santa and Satan in Cayman... in the same day, just a few miles apart.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #68 of 84
I just wanted to send another huge thanks to Chris and everyone else who helped with the pad swap on my Thunderpants.  After some minor additional tweaking at home, they are looking, sounding and feeling better than ever.  

I thought, since they're such bass monsters when EQ'd appropriately, I'd take a photo of them resting (dreaming?) on my most favorite of monsters...

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #70 of 84
Max and MT:  Sounds like a great meet went down.  Truly appreciated the sense of camaraderie and vibe that came through in your meet comments and rig evaluations.

Having seen you both lurking over in the vintage rig forum from time to time, was surprised somewhat to note that nobody seemed to have brought forth  a silver-faced, knob and switch bedecked, blue light flaming behemoth to drive the pleathora of Audezes there...well, what with the wicked weather (with 1" an hour, seems like the meet was here in the Pacific NW!), why would a fool want to risk a hernia running between the car and the front door with a larger than life Pioneer SX-1250, no?

One thing I do agree: the LF-LCD-2 combo is a dream team....but the Stax reviews of late have me hankering for a serious shootout of my own at an upcomng meet here in Seattle next month....Sachu loves his Staxes now and he has ears I respect....

Congrats on making the Home page!  Austin rocks!

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #71 of 84
Thanks for the comments. I didn't bring my big honkin receiver because I ended up having to use a different Stax amp instead of the energizer from my Pioneer. Worked out for the best though as I had my car nearly packed to the hilt without it.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #72 of 84
Max and MT:  Sounds like a great meet went down.  Truly appreciated the sense of camaraderie and vibe that came through in your meet comments and rig evaluations.

Having seen you both lurking over in the vintage rig forum from time to time, was surprised somewhat to note that nobody seemed to have brought forth  a silver-faced, knob and switch bedecked, blue light flaming behemoth to drive the pleathora of Audezes there...well, what with the wicked weather (with 1" an hour, seems like the meet was here in the Pacific NW!), why would a fool want to risk a hernia running between the car and the front door with a larger than life Pioneer SX-1250, no?

One thing I do agree: the LF-LCD-2 combo is a dream team....but the Stax reviews of late have me hankering for a serious shootout of my own at an upcomng meet here in Seattle next month....Sachu loves his Staxes now and he has ears I respect....

Congrats on making the Home page!  Austin rocks!

Well my Marantz 2238 was there...It was just in pieces in the back room. :D

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #73 of 84
Aww man!  I missed this!

I would have loved to get together and check out some gear.  I would have shared my setup as well.   I guess I'll have to wait until next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back