Austin 2012 meet impressions
Mar 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, just wanted to say I had a great time. I'll post my impressions/notes when I get home and type them up tomorrow. Great meeting so many new people and seeing those I've met before.

The weather put a damper on things a bit, but it went well despite the rain. Next time we'll look for a little bit bigger place so it can be quieter. Speaking of which, we never did the quiet hour, but space was really too tight for it to matter with so many open headphones so close together.

Travis wants to try to keep this going annually so look for an Austin meet somewhere around this time next year, but we'll avoid SXSW next time.

Thanks for coming.

Chris

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 84

ThunderPants: First time hearing one and loved it. Sounded to me like a Denon 2k with a little less up top and more down bottom. Bleeding mids, but nothing bad. A very unique sound that I really enjoyed. Matched great with a little dubstep.

k1000's: Loved them. Clear as a bell and smooth. I could see myself playing with them for hours. Any small adjustments in the placement saw a drastic change in preceived sound. I'm sure it takes quite a while to understand their true sound. Steely Dan sounded fantastic.

HF-1's: Owning the HF-2's it was nice to get to try out the origonal. Much more of the classic Grado sound to my ears. Loved them.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 84
Agreed.  I had a great time.  Thanks to everyone else for braving the downpours to bring your gear in so we could all geek out.  Especially thanks to Maxvla and MorbidToaster for putting in the effort to make it happen.

In other news, I'm a Stax convert.  

Damnit.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 84
Took quite a while to get home, but the good news is that the drought is for sure over. Rain was well over 1" per hour all the way from Austin to Dallas.

As always, great to see old friends and new faces. You guys were really great on the munchies. Kudos.

I am glad everyone likes the OII better than the he60, but ... hoping the ¥ keeps moving in the right direction.

Loved two things (that I can comment on) - the Dsativsk Torpedo - that is a sweet DIY amp. Oh, and not so surprisingly, the LCD-2 and Liquid Fire is just a great system - superb synergy.

Finally, always great to see Senior Cavalli out and about.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 84
I have a non-audio review, Milano Trattorio in Georgetown. FANTASTIC dear god if I had this place at home I'd go every week. Had the risotto con pollo and it was just amazing. The dressing on the salad even seemed better than normal. The most impressive thing though was the bread served with the risotto, it was chewy and moist, so damn good. Trying to decide if I want to stay down here long enough for lunch there before leaving tomorrow.

You guys near Austin really need to try it out. Prices are reasonable and service is fast.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 84
Great times, I'm especially glad I got to try out the Denon D5k and the LCD2 plus meeting some folks from here was a blast.  I'm sure I'll make it to TX Meet 2013.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 84
Oh, oh, oh - special shout out for the Fidelio L1s - for some semi/pseudo closed phones for work, these phones rock.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 84
Thanks to Travis, Maxvai and all those who organized the event and/or brought more than a few headphones and CD's like I did.

I learned a great deal; heard some great cans powered and fed by some outstanding equipment; and enjoy visiting with some great people.

Didn't buy anything new/new to me.  However, the seeds have been planted for some significant hammering of the wallet in the not too distant future.

I look forward to doing this at least once a year.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 84
Glad someone made an impressions thread. I was going to when I got home but I thought someone would be all over it.

I was very happy to see new and old friends. Glad you guys had a good time but we will need a bigger place next time.

Overall I still liked my system the most...which blows my mind. I can't believe I'm in that place with my headphones. That being said...I do officially want a pair of 007s. They sounded fantastic and destroyed my LCD 2 for some of my music.

It was a great time and I was introduced to some good new music. The BHSE was an impressive sight. It was like being in the same room with the president. Once in a lifetime.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 84
I for one really liked the venue. I liked having the different rooms and the vast, spaces. Great gear, great people! Al, great to see you again, it's been too long and I always enjoy our conversations, even when we disagree. Your rig really looks sweet buddy!

Special thanks to MorbidToaster for hosting this! Thanks Travis! I had fun talking Maggies with you. Hope to hear the Maggie/Emotiva setup at some point. Also thanks for the office room, I think it really helped people hear the K1000 in a better than average meet setting. I definitely want to get some of the cables I talked to you about. Those are very soft and flexible.

I'm terrible with names, but the guy with the Thunderpants was a fun guy too, and hope you got the new pads on. The Wenge rocks!

I walked away knowing that Tyll hit the nail on the head yet again. The Philips Fidelio L1 really impressed me, and at such a reasonable price! I will be buying one as a second, somewhat more portable headphone.

Can't wait for the next meet!

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 84
Anyone in Austin is welcome to come listen to my headphones or my up and coming 2ch system whenever you'd like. Just drop me a PM.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 84
I for one really liked the venue. I liked having the different rooms and the vast, spaces. Great gear, great people! Al, great to see you again, it's been too long and I always enjoy our conversations, even when we disagree. Your rig really looks sweet buddy!

Special thanks to MorbidToaster for hosting this! Thanks Travis! I had fun talking Maggies with you. Hope to hear the Maggie/Emotiva setup at some point. Also thanks for the office room, I think it really helped people hear the K1000 in a better than average meet setting. I definitely want to get some of the cables I talked to you about. Those are very soft and flexible.

I'm terrible with names, but the guy with the Thunderpants was a fun guy too, and hope you got the new pads on. The Wenge rocks!

I walked away knowing that Tyll hit the nail on the head yet again. The Philips Fidelio L1 really impressed me, and at such a reasonable price! I will be buying one as a second, somewhat more portable headphone.

Can't wait for the next meet!

Get in contact with Steve. He'll do you good on those cables. Can't recommend them enough.

You're welcome any time once I get it together. Always looking for an excuse to geek out.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 84

I might want to spend some more time with the LF sometime.  About half way through the meet I was convinced I might order one.  Then at the end I was convinced I wanted a electrostat. system.

Quote:
Anyone in Austin is welcome to come listen to my headphones or my up and coming 2ch system whenever you'd like. Just drop me a PM.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 84
The LF won't be leaving anytime soon whether I get stats or not. It's just...fantastic. The amount of 'meat' that you get with an LCD 2 and LF is so nice. 

A bit more on topic...The did get to try the HE 6 with the LF today. I'm a big fan of the HE500 having owned one before, and while the HE 6 was good I came to the same conclusion I did with the HE500 in that I like the LCD 2 more.

The HE 6 got me more detail and soundstage...but there was just something 'funny' about the bass. 

Quote:
I might want to spend some more time with the LF sometime.  About half way through the meet I was convinced I might order one.  Then at the end I was convinced I wanted a electrostat. system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back