Aussies: How are u powering your headamps?
Mar 11, 2006 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rincewind

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey any Aussies out there, is anyone using the RSA Hornet or AE-1 or SM3? Cos I'm looking at the Hornet, but comes with an adapter which works between 90-240V but it has a 2 prong plug. I'm guessing just whacking a US>AU plug adapter in there would do, but I'm interested in other solutions, cos I hate adapters, esp if I can just get a configurable power supply and just use that instead (eg one of those ones where u can set polarity and voltage etc). The thing is, I'm guessing the average Dick Smith variable power supply won't exactly be ideal, I don't imagine they're anywhere near as hardcore as the stuff Headroom sells and assume they wouldn't be regulated. I know a mate of mine has this hardcore built-like-a-tank configurable power source but he's away atm so can't ask him about it. Hopefully there is a better solution than needing adapters or lugging around a mini-tank like said friend does.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 16
Hey rincewind, I'm an Aussie!

I just purchased some Beyer DT770s. I'm waiting on my PA2V2 to arrive. I know this is only a cheapo amp, but I thought I'd give it a go (it's my first amp). The PA2V2 runs on rechargable AAs, so all you need is the amp and a battery charger (the PA2V2 has a built in charger, but the US adaptor won't work on the amp of course). Gary (he makes the PA2V2) emailed to me the exact details for an adaptor (for the PA2V2).....I'll look into buying this adaptor, but it needs to have......

Output Voltage: 3 Volts DC
Output Current: 200 Milliamps or greater
Plug Size: A 2.5mm plug with a Negative Tip polarity

I guess if I take all these details into a Dick Smiths or something I might get the adaptor? or a some kind of current converter? I'm no expert on this.
confused.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 16
Heya, sounds good, bet u can't wait! I expect most chargers will work fine for charging the batteries, and I've seen converters that have the specs your after.

The main use of a power adapter in my case will actually be powering it during use at my desk at work (so very little intentional charging of the batteries in it). So I'm wondering more about the quality of the power supplied by a run of the mill cheapy power adapter and how it may affect a headamp. Headroom have a section where they go on about the quality of a power supply and it's ability to provide masses of power when it's suddenly required, and that's got me wondering what the difference is, that's all. I also need to check what "regulated" power supply.

I'm sure A US>AU plug adapter will suffice, but man I hate adapters :p Never had one which worked any well and it's just another thing to have to bring back from work to use at home and I'm sure I'll forget it. Anyway, a good quality variable power supply won't be a bad purchase if it's gonna give me great power for a headamp and can be used for anything else!

I wonder who in AU makes/sells good, portable and configurable power supplies, suitable for use with headamps and other high quality appliances...

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 16
Hey Rincewind, I'm not sure what specs you are needing exactly, but Dick Smith definitely DO stock regulated power supplies, cos I bought one the other day. They are about 40 bucks which isn't exactly cheap, but I'm not sure what else you could use...

EDIT: Heavybassman... I bought the above adaptor for running a PA2V2 as it happens. There are unregulated ones available as well which are cheaper but I bought regulated just incase my mains supply is *****...

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 16
have you tried bending the pins
tongue.gif

thats what Shadowflay did for his Hornet, adjusted the pins so that they fit into AU power plugs, I dont know all the electric mumbo jumbo, but he assured me it was perfectly safe to do.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 16
^^ hey thanks Geoff
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll probably go for that regulated power supply you've mentioned. Does it have a "brand name" or "model name/number?" If so, could you please post some more details?....I'd hate to short or mess up my PA2V2 after waiting so long to get it
eek.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
have you tried bending the pins
tongue.gif

thats what Shadowflay did for his Hornet, adjusted the pins so that they fit into AU power plugs, I dont know all the electric mumbo jumbo, but he assured me it was perfectly safe to do.

Yea it could be safe to do, you'll just be out a $300 amp, possibly some body parts, and maybe even your house!
rolleyes.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyBassMan
^^ hey thanks Geoff
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll probably go for that regulated power supply you've mentioned. Does it have a "brand name" or "model name/number?" If so, could you please post some more details?....I'd hate to short or mess up my PA2V2 after waiting so long to get it
eek.gif

Sure, it's a Digitor, model 12V09. DSE catalogue number M9927. It's a nice small unit, there is a cheaper regulated one by DSE as well, but it's a bit larger and heavier.

Mar 12, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 16
I bought a regulated power adaptor from Jaycar Electronics and it works fine with my Portahile V2^2

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 16
No probs dude!

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 16
Don't think anyone has pointed out, the reason you can't use the power supplies from many US amps is in Oz we have 220v power outlets as opposed to 110v in the US. So you need more than an adapter to make the plug fit, you need voltage regulation as well.

I used that Digitor from Dick Smith with my pa2v2, it only cost $25.

Whichever amp you end up buying, ask the builder to give you specs for the PSU and then go to Dick Smith and get the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back