Aurora Borealis
Nov 8, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 15
no... all you gotta do is visit Principal Skinner's house when Superintendent Chalmers is visiting.
biggrin.gif

seriously, i've never seen one either. but i guess that's quite difficult when living in New York City.

Nov 8, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 15
When I lived in the Pacific Northwest we would see some beautiful displays every so often. I think it helped that there were no city lights at all to diffuse the view.

Nov 8, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 15
Get far away from the city and watch the sky. It always amazes me. The night sky from the Australian outback always amazes me. I should buy a telescope one of these days.

Nov 8, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 15
I have seen it from here in north eastern Oregon. Sometimes we will get a well colored show, mostly it's kind of muted.
Heck of a show ain't it.
I spent a summer in Anchorage. At the end of the summer the lights were very active. I remember going to the drive in movie with my girlfriend. We got in the backseat of the car to do things besides watch the movie. I happened to look out the back window and saw the biggest most colorful display I had ever seen. My girlfriend got a little upset because all I wanted to do was watch the lights. She was from Alaska and they were no big deal to her. They were sure a big deal to me. I've been in love with the northern lights ever since that night. I can barely remember that girls name though.
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 15
There's this really hot chick I know named Aurora.
cool.gif

As for the aurora in the sky, I've only seen it a few times, in a small village in Quebec and at my friend's cottage about 1.5 hours north of Toronto. Never seen it in Toronto, the sky is retardedly bright in my area.

Nov 8, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I'm living in Urbana which is pretty far away from the city.. if I went out tonight, would I see it? Where should I look?

If it's as active as last night, just look up, the whole sky was flaring, there were a few times, where a white band went from horizon to horizon. By 3, though it was only in the north.

Nov 8, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 15
I spent a couple of weeks up in Barrow Alaska, the most northern point of North America, and the night sky was unbelievable. It looked like a shimmering curtain with deep shinny colors. It was something I will never forget. The only downside was that to see it you needed to stand outside, and it was 60+ degrees below zero.

Nov 8, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 15
Just think of the poor guys that go up there for DSO watching with their 30" dobs, they're probably outside all night.
Sorry, obscure astronomy references.
DSO- deep sky objects
dob- dobsonian reflector, street telescopes, google John Dobson, interesting guy

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave1
I spent a couple of weeks up in Barrow Alaska, the most northern point of North America, and the night sky was unbelievable. It looked like a shimmering curtain with deep shinny colors. It was something I will never forget. The only downside was that to see it you needed to stand outside, and it was 60+ degrees below zero.

I'm jealous! I saw a decent display in the Michigan UP a couple of times (very dark), but never in Chicago or farther south. I'd love to see a really strong display.

Has anyone here ever seen the green flash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back