Auralic Aries Mini Hi-Res Audio Streamer
Dec 17, 2015 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vinjeman

100+ Head-Fier
When I found out that Sonos had no real public commitment to updating their excellent "connect" unit,  I started to examine what was available to play Hi-Res music files (I have read that Sonos can only stream in CD-quality 16-bit/44.1khz) on my non-portable system.  I received the new Auralic aries mini soon after it came out.

When I plugged the unit directly into my integrated old Japanese amp I was amazed at how musical the sound was using its on-board ESS Sabre DAC.  I recalled my suprise at how the ESS Sabre DAC was so effective at making the Oppo HA-2 one of the nicest sounding upgrades for my Ipad and pc.  It turns out the model is identical in both units.

Set-up was a bit awkward as they had not included complete instructions tailored to the smaller "aries mini" in the installation routine.  Resist the urge to work in "wired" mode until everything is set up (it just seemed easier).  The unit is really made to use wireless internet very efficiently.   Once everything got put into place the DNLA feature worked great and streaming was smooth (they included a free year of Tidal Hi-Fi Streaming Service).  From a dark, wide soundstage comes a presence of the artist(s) that is very enjoyable.

The proprietary Lightning software (IOS for now I believe) was a bit sensitive but overall I was able to find what I wanted to play quickly and easily.  They need play-list editing features that I am sure will come along in good time but I am very happy with the sound and functionality of this unobtrusive little box.

cheers 
beerchug.gif

jhv

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 11
The main question I have is whether you need an iPad to set it up. I am interested in it, but do not have any Apple product and is not going to buy one just to use the Aries.

With no manual or anything online it is very hard to work that out.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 11
I picked up a chinese 12vdc 30 w linear power supply built for "headphone/dac" on ebay.  They configured to 15v and a plug like the one the Mini uses.  It has significantly improved the sound of the streamer.  Auralic suggests a power supply upgrade particularly for the users of the  "on-board" DAC.   Theirs costs $300 dollars where this was only $55.  It is kind of a crap-shoot if you will get one of good quality so watch your return policy.  The build looked very good and included a digital display showing less then 0.1volts of fluctuation, averaging 15.3vdc.

cheers,

jhv

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 11
I am using the Auralic LPS with mine.  I have an el cheapo LPS that I use with my Regen, but I didn't have one at the right voltage for the mini.  I have heard that the LPS is not (as) necessary if you are not using the onboard DAC.  I run mine into a Yggy and do not use the onboard DAC.  The most cost effective path if using an outboard DAC would probably be to try it with the provided power supply and upgrade to an LPS if necessary.  I didn't do that.  I have my music files on a Synology server and use an AC wireless link dedicated to only the mini and the iPad to connect it.  I doubt that was necessary given the bandwidth of AC wifi, but I had an extra access point and put it to dedicated use.  Never had a drop-out except when my DSL couldn't keep Tidal happily serviced.  I have an ethernet jack available, but Aries recommends wireless, so I did not try hard-wired and see no need to.

It is a nice unit with excellent SQ.  I was determined to get the computers out of my HP listening area and this worked nicely.  I do have an iPad Air2 as a control head for the Lightning app, but that is not so bad.  I thought the Lightning app was truly horrible when I first started with it, but Auralic seems to be working diligently to improve its shortcomings. It updates automatically and I find that the bugs in it are gradually disappearing without me having to do anything.  Quite a relief from always working - tweaking - updating the software on a computer.  Maybe when the iPhone style app is available for the iPad it will take a quantum leap forward.

Overall, and especially for the price, it is quite a nice product.  Even if you had to buy a used iPad to pair with it, you still haven't spent that much.

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 11
Can the Aries mini be controlled via a Pc using jriver? Don't have an apple device

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 11
I seem to have a problem connecting to my Aries Mini from time to time. It’s frstrating even though I’ve set a static ip. Tried the last hour trying to get in including rebooting all network related peripherals. Not sure if anyone has experienced similar problems and if there’s a quick fix. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back