Auralic Aries g2.1 + Vega g2.1 - thoughts?
Feb 2, 2022 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DaddyWhale

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to pull the trigger on this? Do any of you have experience with these products, either as a package or separately? They'll replace my ancient Wadia 860 and the Auralics have modern features i need..

It'll feed my 2-channel system and, possibly, my headphones. My sig contains my setup. Thanks in advance.

ps i will be able to demo the setup in my home. (Just adding that since it's always better to try things out with your own system).

Mar 13, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 5
I have an Aries G2.1 and happy with it. Works great as Roon end point or using the Lightning app. I am using the wireless connection and think it is probably the best wireless streamer solution out there. I did compare the wired vs. wireless and found them slightly different but the wireless ahead. On the wired side, I did use some audiophile switch and cable. I'm sure further improvements probably could have been made if I optimized the solution there. But I decided to avoid that rabbit hole and just go with wireless.

I have A/B Aries against a couple of other streamer solutions. There might be something better out there, but the combination of it being "good enough" and features just didn't seem to make it worth the time to work it out. At this point, I would likely only replace the Aries with a server and go direct to DAC from that.

As for the Vega, I didn't try that out. I do appreciate they now have a full digital stack with master clock and upscaler. But I can't really give any guidance there.

Mar 13, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 5
I have an Aries G2.1 and happy with it. Works great as Roon end point or using the Lightning app. I am using the wireless connection and think it is probably the best wireless streamer solution out there. I did compare the wired vs. wireless and found them slightly different but the wireless ahead. On the wired side, I did use some audiophile switch and cable. I'm sure further improvements probably could have been made if I optimized the solution there. But I decided to avoid that rabbit hole and just go with wireless.

I have A/B Aries against a couple of other streamer solutions. There might be something better out there, but the combination of it being "good enough" and features just didn't seem to make it worth the time to work it out. At this point, I would likely only replace the Aries with a server and go direct to DAC from that.

As for the Vega, I didn't try that out. I do appreciate they now have a full digital stack with master clock and upscaler. But I can't really give any guidance there.
Thank you for your impressions. I did end up buying the g2.1 Aries and Vega. I too will be using it wirelessly. I'm glad you've had success with that.

I've been busy moving houses and haven't gotten the Auralics out of there boxes. When i do, I'll post comparisons.

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 5
If you are going wireless, I don’t know a better streamer solution. The Vega should be competitive but curious how you compare it against your chord dacs through the Aries.

One thing I find interesting is how the audiophile bug has hit the networking side. And given how the network creates a whole other physical connection to a whole other physical network, a lot of potential issues can arise. Hence the amount of effort and products on the wired side today.

I kind of feel the “wireless“ connection would be easier to “solve.” A wireless solution doesn’t really cause anymore RF unless you are installing a new wireless network just for audio. An wireless antenna can definitely pickup and introduce more interference into the system but it would be significantly less than a physical connection and easier to solve. I kind of feel the industry gave up on wireless early.

May 1, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 5
If you are going wireless, I don’t know a better streamer solution. The Vega should be competitive but curious how you compare it against your chord dacs through the Aries.

One thing I find interesting is how the audiophile bug has hit the networking side. And given how the network creates a whole other physical connection to a whole other physical network, a lot of potential issues can arise. Hence the amount of effort and products on the wired side today.

I kind of feel the “wireless“ connection would be easier to “solve.” A wireless solution doesn’t really cause anymore RF unless you are installing a new wireless network just for audio. An wireless antenna can definitely pickup and introduce more interference into the system but it would be significantly less than a physical connection and easier to solve. I kind of feel the industry gave up on wireless early.
Stumbled on this thread. And read some of the most sensible comments on Head-fi. :smiley:

After having put alot of effort into optimizing Ethernet I decided to compare it to wireless with the Aries G2.1. In my setup I ended up prefering wireless and felt it pointless to put any more effort (and money!) into wired networking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back