aune X7S Class-A balance output headphone amplifier (New product )
May 28, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #46 of 62
I see some confusion here, and would like to help you understanding some amplification concepts.
SE, just as the acronym says, is Single Ended. The cable would most often be RCA for two poles - signal and ground.
Balanced means that the signal is transferred by cable via 3 poles: signal in phase, signal in opposite phase, and ground.
I guess everyone by now knows what a SE amplifier is - single output device (tube, usually, but not necessarily): a balanced connection to this type of amp would be redundant or superfluous, either only one of the signal phases would be used, or a differential amplifier would be needed to sum the two signals.
Now if you know what an SE amplifier is, you probably know what a Push-Pull amplifier is: two devices working together to drive a load. A balanced connection would be beneficial for a PP amplifier, because it could do without a phase splitter. But, as a matter of fact, PP amps (particularly tube amps) with balanced inputs are quite rare.
Obviously, a Push-Pull amplifier is balanced by design, yet it usually does not have a balanced input: the signal passes through a phase splitter and the missing component - inverted phase (opposite phase) is created.

In the same fashion, most headphones amplifiers with balanced outputs do not have balanced inputs. The point of having a balanced output is having 4x the output power compared to the SE output stage, while actually having just 2 SE output stages working in opposite phase, with ground connections separated between channels (the ground connections to the headphones are omitted and the two connectors of each channel are directly connected to the amplified signal and the amplified opposite phase signal.

I would like to add that balanced cable connections between HiFi equipment components are more a marketing hype than a real advantage. Balanced connections have much improved Common Mode Rejection Ratio, but if the signal is large enough (line level), and the cables are shorter than 2 meters, the resulting improvement in CMRR is negligible in practice.

https://www.stereophile.com/features/335/index.html

May 28, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #48 of 62

Besides the fact that too much to read is not particularly suitable for younger generations who have coined the TLDNR “Too Long Do Not Read” and expect instant information as if it were always possible to get information in but a few words, and the fact that while Martin Colloms is a respectable older generation reviewer - Stereophile and the specialized press are definitely only marketing in the form of both advertisements and “positively” biased text (just check if a positively reviewed piece of kit does not have a direct advertisement in the magazine, or an indirect advertisement of the brand). Reviewers always rave about the sound quality of expensive gear, and in comparison usually said gear is bested by even more expensive gear and that seems to be the logic of things.

The other link is missing an important point, as the balanced connection of headphones usually allows for much higher drive current. Obviously active balanced drive should be differentiated from “balanced” connections of headphones to output transformers where the output is left floating (not connected to ground) and separate between channels.

May 28, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #49 of 62
Besides the fact that too much to read is not particularly suitable for younger generations who have coined the TLDNR “Too Long Do Not Read” and expect instant information as if it were always possible to get information in but a few words, and the fact that while Martin Colloms is a respectable older generation reviewer - Stereophile and the specialized press are definitely only marketing in the form of both advertisements and “positively” biased text (just check if a positively reviewed piece of kit does not have a direct advertisement in the magazine, or an indirect advertisement of the brand). Reviewers always rave about the sound quality of expensive gear, and in comparison usually said gear is bested by even more expensive gear and that seems to be the logic of things.

The other link is missing an important point, as the balanced connection of headphones usually allows for much higher drive current. Obviously active balanced drive should be differentiated from “balanced” connections of headphones to output transformers where the output is left floating (not connected to ground) and separate between channels.

Sadly, I have to agree.

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #52 of 62
I'm listing to the 1266 TC on Aune X7s. If anything I'd say it's the big transformer doing its job. Bass is not at full scale but rest of frequencies are not affected by less bass. I was at a point of missing my Abyss so why not. So till my main amps get back the Aune will have to do. Music I listen to is edm so a lot of bass. Bass doesn't have as much girth but the amp handles Abyss just fine. Test will be how long can the X7s go before going into protect.

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #53 of 62
I just received the 2021 edition of this amp. I have this issue where the headphones pop loudly when the unit turns off due to a power cut or the switch is turned off.. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm afraid my headphones (HD6xx and HD800) are gonna break if this happens a few times.

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #54 of 62
On its website, it is mentioned that the Aune X7s outputs around 200mw as class A via single ended. But specifications don't mention class A in XLR mode. Does it mean that the X7s performs in class A only when it's in single-ended mode?

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #57 of 62
I used Hifiman Edition XS, Diana TC 1266 TC plus T60rp I modded and no issues. I have a 2018 model so not sure if they give same big power supply.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #59 of 62
Does anyone here use the X7s + Sennheiser hd 650? I use both in balanced on high gain. I feel that middle gain on balanced is just a tiny bit lacking in juice and high gain balanced is a little too much for 650. Anyone here who knows the best configuration for hd 650 with the X7s

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #60 of 62
so do u have enough room for the extra volume?
Yes and I am running the ifi zen sign DAC on variable volume so it’s less than 2 volts. My knob for T60rp is 1/2 on high gain. My set I modded for bass head application and holographic presentation. If your headphones is neutral then there will be no boost in bass. I added an eq for cheap off Amazon and it makes a difference for those that need it. Great amp mine I would not call it boring unless you a/b against my Woo WA5 LE and Flux FA-12. Even both those amps require me to use a Schiit Lokius eq. I love bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back