Aune X6 or a unit like it.
Jul 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kozic

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried the Aune X6 if so what do you think of it? Or is there anything else like it out there looking for a small DAC with a SD card reader that has rca and coaxal outs for headphone amp and AVR.(around 300 to 400 $)
Thanks

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 7
What about a iBasso DX50, FiiO X3, or FiiO X5? They all have coaxial out and line out, in addition to their headphone output. They have micro SD instead of regular SD. Then you would have a portable media player, too. X5 has two micro SD card slots. I think the DX50 may also handle USB sticks using its USB OTG capabilities (not sure).

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 7
In case you might end up looking for a real desktop player (proper ergonomics and cable management, with all ports in the back) with more storage options (SD cards, USB drives, HDDs, NAS via LAN plus remote app for iOS and Android devices), Aune has the S1 music server for $600. Has an AKM4396-based DAC circuit, plus SPDIF output.

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 7
In case you might end up looking for a real desktop player (proper ergonomics and cable management, with all ports in the back) with more storage options (SD cards, USB drives, HDDs, NAS via LAN plus remote app for iOS and Android devices), Aune has the S1 music server for $600. Has an AKM4396-based DAC circuit, plus SPDIF output.

So you are not a fan of the ess9023 chip set on the X6 Or just like the AKM better? I have fond the X6 for $340 that's some what a factor too. I would spend more if the difference is worth it. Edit most all my files are 16/44.1 CD rips so that may also play into how good of a DAC I need.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 7
So you are not a fan of the ess9023 chip set on the X6 Or just like the AKM better? 

I would go either way - products built around the Sabre and AKM chips generally don't sound too dissimilar from each other.

I have fond the X6 for $340 that's some what a factor too. I would spend more if the difference is worth it. Edit most all my files are 16/44.1 CD rips so that may also play into how good of a DAC I need.

I. SQ differences, power supply. If it's the general comparison between AKM- and Sabre-based products, the sound sgnature will generally be similar. However, while I would not choose ne product over another based on whether it uses AKM or Sabre, barring portable players (which would all use a battery anyway) I would be more confident in one that uses a huge brick of a power supply rather than one that uses a generic wall wart. Buying an Elpac for it for example would take you close to the price of the more expensive product (unless you have one lying around), but you won't get all the added features, as in my previous post and below.

II. Connectivity Options. The S1 goes for a bit more, but on top of the sleeker chassis and the huge power supply section housed in its own aluminum chassis, you also get:

a. Three USB ports, one or two of them capable of using 2.5in portable HDDs - that's two more over the front panel USB of the X6, which is best used with a thumb drive
b. LAN connection that allows for access to an NAS as well as remote control via iOS and Android devices with the Aune app, which is extremely useful when you're browsing several GB's of music. The X6's interface will be like using an old DAP (the ones that were wiped out by the iPod because they didn't have an intuitive wheel) with a 128gb/256gb memory; the S1 will effectively be a real music server with several TB's of music (which is useful for those who store multiple live performances and therefore don't find having the same song in several versions redundant) with an interface using a touchscreen that can much more easily navigate folders (just don't expect the same smoothness as an iTunes AirPlay system with a MacMini server and an iPad remote). 

...so at the very least it has to be considered as an option considering all those other possibilities of using it. In a way, it's like getting the Musical Fidelity M1 Clic, but for $400 less and no WiFi, even as I guess that the SQ difference would be minimal if any (already saving up for it but other stuff keep getting in the way, like my car's brake booster dying on me while on a 60kph highway).

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Good points the S1 is nice....Man I was just looking for something to plug into a Asgard 2 and a AVR  besides my Fiio X3. I'll give it some more thought before I buy.
Thanks for your time
(Who needs a booster when you got ADRENALIN)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back