Aune X5S Digital Transport
Aug 7, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #33 of 39
A brief update - the Aune X5S has been rock solid with the latest update, both into my old(er) Accuphase DAC as well as the new Venus II. I have sold the XC1 without having tested it with the new firmware, as I've found a mint condition used Soundaware D100pro, the version without the clock input, which I think will make for a fun comparison with the Aune. The D100pro includes a streamer as well, but its the SD card on the side that makes it stand out.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #34 of 39
Anyone know what the DAC chip is in the 8th anniversary edition?

I could swear it was some lesser Saber chip, but I can't find any info now.

Aug 26, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #35 of 39
Anyone know what the DAC chip is in the 8th anniversary edition?

I could swear it was some lesser Saber chip, but I can't find any info now.
There are websites that claim it's an 9038q2m, but I've not opened mine to check. The analogue out is clean but dry sounding, missing out on a lot of low level detail, which is easily heard when the player is connected to a good DAC.

Aug 26, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #36 of 39
There are websites that claim it's an 9038q2m, but I've not opened mine to check. The analogue out is clean but dry sounding, missing out on a lot of low level detail, which is easily heard when the player is connected to a good DAC.
Mmm. It's a strange, simplified sound. They clearly intend you to use an external DAC.

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #37 of 39
Mmm. It's a strange, simplified sound. They clearly intend you to use an external DAC.
Yes and it is excellent that way, just make sure to install the firmware from June 2023. When compared with the Soundaware D100pro, the latter wins out with a more sophisticated presentation but it causes occasional glitches with the Denafrips DAC, while the Aune seems fine so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back