Aune T1se question about turntables.
Nov 12, 2016 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Strat-Mangler

100+ Head-Fier
I learned that the tube is not active when connecting a source through a T1 Aune's line-in and am wondering if the same occurs with the T1se?

What I'd like to do is plug my turntable into the line-in to take advantage of the tube's beautiful imagery but that's not possible through my T1. If the T1se uses the tube under all circumstances, I'll simply upgrade. 

Otherwise, please post a tube DAC which sounds even better than the T1 which would allow me to use the tube for line-in/turntable use.

Thanks so much in advance!

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 6
  Are you already using a phono preamp? 

NK

The turntable I'm using has an onboard preamp. After doing extensive research, it appears the T1 can't be used with the tube for anything but through USB sources and not even with headphones either. So it's a very specific limited usage for this device and it can't be used as a tube buffer.

Too bad but thanks for trying to help.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat-Mangler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I'd like to do is plug my turntable into the line-in to take advantage of the tube's beautiful imagery but that's not possible through my T1. If the T1se uses the tube under all circumstances, I'll simply upgrade. 

Otherwise, please post a tube DAC which sounds even better than the T1 which would allow me to use the tube for line-in/turntable use.

Well, first off, you can't really use a Digital to Analogue Converter on a source that is already Analogue, like a TT, or the line output of a CDP or another DAC. In this case if the tube in the T1 is only used via USB then that means the tube is on the DAC side of its circuit, ie as the analogue stage output to its amplifier section, or as a tube buffer between its DAC section's analogue output stage and the amplifier section.

If you just want a tube buffer then get a tube buffer. If what you want is a headphone amp with or without USB that uses the tube via headphone output, then get a tube headphone amp, or a hybrid headphone amplifeir that uses the tube as its preamp stage, which puts it on the amp side. If you want it as a preamplifier, then what you need is a tube or hybrid amplifier that has a preamp output.

If you just want to drive a headphone with the same hybrid DAC-HPamp, look into the Pangea HP101 - it has a USB input for digital sources  and goes all the way up to 24/192 (the drivers are finicky with Win7 though, but works perfectly with my Android up to 24/96 which is what I have, just keep the phone far enough away as well as quality cables as the case isn't insulated from noise, and put the phone on Airplane Mode with WiFi off) and analogue RCA inputs (for your TT's phono pre). It uses a 12AX7 tube in its preamp stage, and has a class A SS output stage (you can cook an egg on it if the ambient temp is also high enough, like high noon and no A/C where I live). All that for under $100.

Note though that if you're expecting the sound to sound like a luscious cream pudding then look elsewhere - it's not that far off the sound of the O2 and my Meier Cantate amp. It's closer to the Meier than the O2 in terms of how the rough edges in the treble are rounded out a bit by the tube, but it's not going to totally EQ any recording to make a bad one sound good or make Norah Jones sound like she needs to drink a vat of chicken soup. You could roll the tubes but this one isn't conducive for anything more than replacing a faulty tube as it's mounted inside the chassis rather than an easy, gentle pull and push replacement job. If your preferred sound is to make Norah Jones sound like she needs to decongest her sinus with cocaine, look into Dark Voice and Little Dot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back