Audnst HUD-MX1 + Krk Rokit's - Good Combo or Not?
Mar 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EndersShadow

100+ Head-Fier
So here is my scenario.  I am making a move from a dedicated stereo receiver (Harman Kardon 3490) and passive speakers (Infinity Primus 162's) to a external USB DAC and powered monitors.  Mostly because I need the desk space and also I think that the powered speakers will preform at the same if not better level than my passives do.

The speakers I am looking at (KRK Rokit 5's or 6's) DO NOT have volume control or headphone jacks.  So I needed a DAC that was decent quality, did asynchronous USB and had a headphone and volume knob.  Enter the Uudnst.  I am curious as to folks thoughts on this as a dedicated DAC for powered studio monitors.  I have read a bunch of reviews that have liked this DAC when using headphones, but that wont be me a majority of the time.  So I would love your thoughts and suggestions on if this is the right choice or not.

To give you an idea of what I have looked at both DAC and speaker wise here is my list :)

DAC's:

Audnst HUD-MX1
Pros: Powered Headphone jack & Volume control, Asynchronous USB
Cons: DAC not as good as the HRT Media Streamer II

Quote:
Moving to the MusicStreamer II, the first impression that strikes me is how soundstage has been improved. Most notably is the soundstage depth, where the MS2 is much more three dimensional than the Audinst. The width
and the open-ness of the sound is also improved on the MS2. I am liking the improvements a lot, as soundstage performance is very important to me. The instruments are more alive and independent, where the HUD-MX1 still
maintains everything fairly close together.

Quote:
I’m very happy to see that the bar on the $100+ USB DAC has been raised by the HRT Music Streamer II. When you move to a bigger and more expensive high end DAC, one of the thing you notice is the improved soundstage
performance, and in that area the MS2 is quite superior than the Audinst HUD-MX1, which is my previous favorite $100+ DAC
Quote:
If you already own a good quality headphone amp, then you probably want the MS2, which is the better quality DAC. If you want a simple entry level system, then the Audinst is the better choice.

Quote:
Like the MS2, the Audinst also does 24/96 over USB. But that’s as far as the similarity goes. The MS2 is equipped with a PCM1793 D/A chip, which is the lesser version of the PCM1794 chip used in the MS2+. The Audinst on the
other hand is equipped with the WM8740 D/A chip. Although D/A chips do matter, ultimately you can’t predict a DAC’s sound quality just by knowing the chip it uses, as there’s a lot of variables in the design of the circuitry.

The Audinst mx1 is still going strong as the most neutral DAC of the bunch. In comparison the U100 has slightly more authority in the lower regions and a bit of extra fullness and snap in the mids, followed by more gently defined
highs. The U100 ends up being simultaneously more laid back and engaging, concerned more with the pacing of the performance rather than the minute details. The Audinst is more focused and has a more intimate presentation,
with a nice balance across the whole spectrum. Overall I think the DAC sections are somewhat different but equally good. The amp sections couldn’t really be more different though, and it would be a matter of taste which you would
prefer. For many headphones the U100 is better in my opinion.

Musiland Monitor 02
Pros: Good DAC, externally powered, Asynchronous USB, 24/192 playback
Cons: No volume control

HRT Media Streamer II
Pros: Great DAC, Asynchronous USB
Cons: RCA only. No headphone or volume control, no external powersupply, comment
Quote:
Regarding volume control, depending on the program and drivers you use, you can control volume with the software. However, I believe it's best to keep a bit perfect stream going to the DAC and control volume in the analog domain.

Quote:
Moving to the MusicStreamer II, the first impression that strikes me is how soundstage has been improved. Most notably is the soundstage depth, where the MS2 is much more three dimensional than the Audinst. The width
and the open-ness of the sound is also improved on the MS2. I am liking the improvements a lot, as soundstage performance is very important to me. The instruments are more alive and independent, where the HUD-MX1 still
maintains everything fairly close together.

Furthermore, the two DACs are also different in terms of sound signature, the Audinst HUD-MX1 has a more relaxed and slightly warmer sound signature. The MS2 is more neutral, and doesn’t quite have the coloration of the
Audinst. The MS2 is also more lively and energetic. Treble is more decisive on the MS2, and bass is tighter and punchier. I’m not saying that the Audinst is highly colored, because it’s still mostly a neutral sounding DAC, but
it’s warmer and more relaxed in comparison to the MS2. Depending on system synergy, some people may prefer the Audinst’s more relaxed and warmer sound. The MS2 is more forward, although with a Beta22 and the HE5LE, I
don’t feel the HUD-MX1 to be overly laid back.

Again, little differences between the two DAC. The HUD-MX1 has slightly more low end presence, but bass punch is less tight and less punchy, where on the MS2, even guitar plucks sound more decisive and snappy than the HUD-
MX1. Vocal is slightly more forward on the MS2, with richer texture, where the HUD-MX1 is smoother and slightly more laid back.

M-Audio Firewire Solo
Pros: RCA, TRS, Coaxial out, Volume and headphone connections, 2 independent gain controls
Cons: Firewire not Asynchronous USB (still has 24-bit/96kHz sample rate)

Yulong U100
Pros: Liked better than the Audnst, can do multiple inputs (3.5mm jack & usb), Asynchronous USB
Cons: Price & comments
Quote:
One thing that I have to mention is that the USB connectivity doesn’t seem to be as robust as the one on the Audinst, or all the other Mac-compatible DACs. Sometimes, plugging in the Yulong to my MacPro will immediately give a “bleep bleep bleep” sound on the headphones, the sound that you get when you’re hitting the volume level button on your Mac. Unplugging and plugging the USB cable back would solve the problem, so it’s not a big deal, but I am obliged to tell you about it.

Musiland Monitor 02
Pros: Good DAC, externally powered, Asynchronous USB, 24/192 playback
Cons: No volume control & comment
Quote:
I would roughly rank the DAC section on similar levels to the uDAC2 and the Fiio E7, while being a bit below the Audinst HUD MX-1′s or HRT Music Streamer II’s DAC section

Speakers:

KRK Rokit 5’s
Pros: HF: 15 Watts/LF: 30 Watts Front Ported (45 RMS per channel), each speaker has an independent amp, TRS and XLR connections
Cons: No volume control, No headphone connection

AudioEngine A5’s
Pros: Headphone connection, powered USB port, Volume control
Cons: 45-watts RMS per channel, rear ported, 3.5mm input, not as many input options as the KRK’s

KRK Rokit 6’s
Pros: HF: 18 Watts/LF: 50 Watts (68 RMS per channel) Front Ported, each speaker has an
independent amp, TRS and XLR connections
Cons: No volume control, No headphone connection

Swan M200MKIII
Pros: Bass, Treble & Volume knobs, active crossovers
Cons: Price, Rear ported, 60 wpc (120 for both)

Swan M200MKII
Cons: Rear ported, 35 wpc (70 for both)

Swan D1080MKII 08
Cons: Rear ported

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 9
I can't really help you but I can surely say what you've compiled here would help out a lot of people who wanted some simple comparisons in some cheap DACs and speakers!

May 6, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 9
this is a good one, im looking for the same thing tho, im thinking about maverick audio d1, NFB12 & Fiio E15"not out yet" for a DAC and not sure about speakers yet... 

I have heard the Quad Active speakers, i believe its L2 something, they sound really warm, thick, smooth and in your face... theres many kinds tho and i havent read about them yet

May 6, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 9
I am aware, but do you really want to be messing with that each time you want to adjust the volume. Also how do you ensure your uniformily adjusting them both to the same level.

I also technically believe they are not volume, but gain knobs and I think there is a bit of a difference between those two but I could be wrong.

To followup on this thread, I ended up upgrading my downstairs HT and moved my Polk Audio Monitor 60's into the office to replace the Infinity Primus 162's.  I am going to stick with passives for now, however I am still looking to get a good USB to RCA DAC to go between the computer and Harman Kardon 3490.

I am going to eventually just get a dedicated 2 channel amp for the office and possibly some Magneplanar speakers at a much much later date.

May 6, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I am aware, but do you really want to be messing with that each time you want to adjust the volume. Also how do you ensure your uniformily adjusting them both to the same level.

I also technically believe they are not volume, but gain knobs and I think there is a bit of a difference between those two but I could be wrong.

Aye, I agree that is a bit tricky. My workaround is that I have the KRKs connected to a FireWire Solo, so I just max the volume on the KRKs and then handle volume on the Solo.
On that note, it is volume:

(Good point on gain vs volume tho'. I've never worked out the difference, if any, but I remember being told they aren't technically the same...)

I own the FireWire Solo and A5, and would like to point out a few things about them:

FireWire Solo:
gain controls are for inputs 1 and 2 (XLR and 1/4" respectively). It's important to remember the Solo is an Audio Interface meant for recording; as such, all input signals get sent to the computer it is connected to. This means that you cannot plug a source into input 1 or 2 and output it--those signals are only sent via FireWire to the computer.

AudioEngine A5:
There is no headphone port. The 2x 3.5mm ports are input only.

May 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 9
The "Volume" knob behind the Rockits is NOT an actual volume control... It's a gain control and it's meant to be adjusted ONCE, if at all...

From the manual:

Quote:
Gain Structure – Our gain structure is engineered for the studio and not the
showroom. We don’t add excessive gain to make the monitors appear to play
louder – which by the way, also adds significant hiss to the monitor system.
The Generation 2 RoKit comes with an Input Volume Control that provides an adjustable gain
range from +6dB to -30dB. What that means to you is No Pain With Gain.

also...

Quote:
System Volume
The input sensitivity is adjusted with the rear panel mounted System
Gain control (counterclockwise reduces sensitivity). Adjustment
range is from -30dB to +6dB. Factory preset gain is +6dB, which
should suffice for most conditions. Normally, adjustments would only
be made if you were using your monitor in a surround system and
needed to balance levels or if your monitor send is too hot and not
adjustable.

Hope that helps.

May 7, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 9
I simply use a potentiometer in-line between my DAC and my KRK VXT4s.  This way, I still have independent volume control between my headphones and my speakers. 

Why do you insist on asynchronous DACs?  This really lowers the pool to choose from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back