Auditioning Headphones in Germany
Dec 16, 2008 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nowickia

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I am studying in Germany right now and at the moment depend on my headphones for music. Since they are starting to break I am in the market for something new. I've been reading Head-Fi quite a bit for the last three weeks and I think it boils down to one thing. I need to try the headphones before I can really make any decision. Currently, I'm living in Darmstadt (just south of Frankfurt am Main) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of stores to go to where I can audition some headphones. From what I've read, I think I have narrowed my decision to either the beyerdynamic dt880 or dt990. Any recommendations of places near the area? Unfortunately my German is horrible so that doesn't help searching things online.

Thanks.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 25
Peter, did you even read his question? None of your Ultrasone hyping contains information about where to demo headphones in Darmstadt.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 25
Hello!

Depending on how far you want to go you might consider the Music Store in Cologne. It's a pretty big store that sells all kinds of instruments and I think they have a wall where several headphones can be auditioned. I listened to AKG K701 once but don't know which headphones they have. I'm sure you could mail them before if you want to go there.

You could also look in the big electronic stores (similar to Radio Shack) like "Saturn", "MediaMarkt" and "ProMarkt".
Don't know if they have these Beyers but you could just try it.

HTH
Jonas

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 25
The first adress is of course Hifi Profis in Darmstadt, they've got the midrange there (K701,HD650,HD595,DT990,DT880,...).
It's in the Grafenstr. 29, just off Luisenplatz.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo-Vo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!

Depending on how far you want to go you might consider the Music Store in Cologne. It's a pretty big store that sells all kinds of instruments and I think they have a wall where several headphones can be auditioned. I listened to AKG K701 once but don't know which headphones they have. I'm sure you could mail them before if you want to go there.

You could also look in the big electronic stores (similar to Radio Shack) like "Saturn", "MediaMarkt" and "ProMarkt".
Don't know if they have these Beyers but you could just try it.

HTH
Jonas

Thanks for the input. Cologne (Köln
biggrin.gif
) isn't too far. I was told I should go there anyways to see cathedral. I have been to the local Saturn and their best offering was the Sennheiser HD595. We have a MediaMarkt just outside of town, which I have been to once, but I don't remember seeing a headphone display. Fortunately, being a student I have a train pass for all of Hessen, so travel is fairly cheap and easy. I haven't heard of ProMarkt so I will look into that. Thanks for the help.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ynis Avalach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first adress is of course Hifi Profis in Darmstadt, they've got the midrange there (K701,HD650,HD595,DT990,DT880,...).
It's in the Grafenstr. 29, just off Luisenplatz.

Ah perfect. That shall be my first stop. Thanks!

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 25
Unfortunately I don't know any store where you can audition any Ultrasones

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter, did you even read his question? None of your Ultrasone hyping contains information about where to demo headphones in Darmstadt.

Ultrasone is based in Germany which the OP would have found out by looking at my sig area. My understanding is that Ultrasone and Beyers are very popular in Germany.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ynis Avalach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I don't know any store where you can audition any Ultrasones

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone is based in Germany which the OP would have found out by looking at my sig area. My understanding is that Ultrasone and Beyers are very popular in Germany.

Your understanding is apparently incorrect, which you would have known had you researched the question he was asking.

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your understanding is apparently incorrect, which you would have known had you researched the question he was asking.

Who says I didn't research it? Ultrasones and Beyerdynamics are indeed very popular in Germany. Apparently, the OP is not looking in the right places. I suggest going to the Ultrasone and Beyerdynamic websites for addresses of distributors in that country.
Sherwood, I suggest, before you go criticizing someone about something you obviously no little or nothing about, that you do some research yourself before your comments end up making you look foolish once again.

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Who says I didn't research it? Ultrasones and Beyerdynamics are indeed very popular in Germany.

Beyerdynamics are mostly popular with the studio crowd not the hifi world, ultrasone isnt really popular at all in germany (yet).

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamics are mostly popular with the studio crowd not the hifi world, ultrasone isnt really popular at all in germany (yet).

yes they are in studios, not as popular as Beyerdynamics but think of how much longer the Beyers have been in business compared to Ultrasones.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

yes they are in studios, not as popular as Beyerdynamics but think of how much longer the Beyers have been in business compared to Ultrasones.

I've probably seen more studios in germany than you and i never saw a single ultrasone. For most engineers they're too colored and too bassy. Pretty much useless besides for tracking, but studios already have dozens of closed headphones for tracking. But i'm also pretty sure their popularity will rise in the future.

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 25
Why does a topic about where to demo phones in Germany turn into a discussion about the Ultrasone's popularity? Peter Pinna, I suggest that if you do not know the answer to the TC's question you should leave it to those who do. A list of distributors is not going to be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back