Auditioned the SR60, man what a diff!
Oct 26, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 21
If I were you I really should bring the PortaPros with you next time like you were already planning on doing.
You listened to the Grado through an amp and from what I hear most Diana Krall recording are very good. And a good recording can do miracles. I have an *excellent* recording that makes every crappy system sound good. (Bettye LaVette- A woman like me if anyone is wondering. ) So the comparison might not have been very fair. And if you hook up the SR60s to your mp3 player you could be dissapointed.

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 21
So I went and did myself a favour! I ordered a PA2V2 to go with me little portable setup. A very good intro to the world of amped heaphones.

Everyone says how an amp "tightens up the bass" and "cleans up the highs". Well, I'll see for myself how much this is true!

It's a true bargain for $70 that comes with the amp, an AC adapter for home use, and a 6" connection cable.... wow! I'll be up and running no sweat! Thanks to head-fi, I've done enough research to go "cheap-fi" for now!

Oct 29, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
I feel it's about $200 of sound quality for about $70.

Hmmm..I have to disagree with this statement. SR60 sounds as if it is a $200 cans for the price of $70 cans? Are you telling me that SR60 is in the same league as HD580 ($145)? Same league as DT880 ($225)? Personally, (remember, this is just MY opinion), SR60 is way below in terms of sound quality when compared to HD580 and DT880.

I'm not saying that the SR60 doesn't have a place in the headphones world, but I would say that $70 is just about the right price point. I would not even pay $100 for a SR60's sound quality...

However, this is just my opinion. To each his own I suppose... Please, don't let me spoil your enjoyment of the Grado sound..

Oct 29, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #20 of 21
That's fine. I have the HD580s too. Got them for $100 new at newegg a few years ago. I use both the SR60s and the HD580s a lot. They are both GREAT phones, IMHO. I'd say the HD580s are a great bargain also, but I won't quantify it, so as not to offend all the HD600 and HD650 lovers and all of the other sensitive souls out there.
wink.gif

For rock or pop music with no EQ, I prefer the SR60s of the two. For your average Joe on the street, the SR60 is probably the more useful phone, IMHO. As a matter of build quality, careful design, comfort, audio engineering, etc., obviously the HD580s have a serious edge.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Hmmm..I have to disagree with this statement. SR60 sounds as if it is a $200 cans for the price of $70 cans? Are you telling me that SR60 is in the same league as HD580 ($145)? Same league as DT880 ($225)? Personally, (remember, this is just MY opinion), SR60 is way below in terms of sound quality when compared to HD580 and DT880.

I'm not saying that the SR60 doesn't have a place in the headphones world, but I would say that $70 is just about the right price point. I would not even pay $100 for a SR60's sound quality...

However, this is just my opinion. To each his own I suppose... Please, don't let me spoil your enjoyment of the Grado sound..

Oct 29, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
For your average Joe on the street, the SR60 is probably the more useful phone, IMHO. As a matter of build quality, careful design, comfort, audio engineering, etc., obviously the HD580s have a serious edge.
cool.gif

The average Joe on the street listens to stock earbuds.
tongue.gif
Though yeah okay seriously just for being drivable the sr-60 would be more useful to the average Joe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back