Auditioned SR 325i today
Jun 12, 2007 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

The Pieman

500+ Head-Fier
I went to the Grado dealer in Melbourne today to 1) see if Grado/Alessandro's would fit my big noggin and 2) Actually have a listen!

So I listened to a variety of music with the SR 325i via a Counterpoint (I believe it was) headamp, from a Cary CD306 (mind boggling quality).

Then he persuaded me to have a listen to some GS 1000's! My only intention was maybe to listen to some SR 225's or SR 325i's.

Arrrrrrrrghhh!!!. I bought the GS 1000's!
gs1000.gif

They are amazing straight out of the box. I listening Beethoven's 9th as I write this and it brings absolute bliss they are that good. I wonder how good they will be with a few hundred hours on them?

Downside, I think I need a new source.
frown.gif
The Cary CD306 is amazing.

This is a another warm thank-you to head-fi.
blink.gif
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 21
Haha, that's the spirit of Head-Fi!

I don't know whether to congratulate you, or feel sorry for you.
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 21
YEAH BABY!!! THATS HOW ITS DONE!!

lol... Enjoy the cans. QUITE a jump from IEMs and closed cans huh?
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, that's the spirit of Head-Fi!

I don't know whether to congratulate you, or feel sorry for you.
tongue.gif

Nothing to feel sorry about the Grado flagship... the e3g however, that might deserve some wallet sympathy
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 21
Hahaha, that's awesome. That beats me going from wanting to buy 200 dollar speakers to wanting 500 dollar speakers in one day after auditioning.

BTW, did you try the RS2 or RS1? I'd like to know your impressions of the GS1000 and other Grados you tried.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 21
Congrats on the best impulse buy you prolly ever made
tongue.gif
Trust me they only improve with burn in, and quite significantly
biggrin.gif
Welcome to team Broke Grado
gs1000.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 21
First of all CONGRATS!

My story was a bit different. I arranged the GS1 listening session and didn't like them at all.
But after getting them at home I was and still in love with them since.
cool.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 21
My first thought was: "What? Where at in Melbourne"?
blink.gif
....Oh, yeah; the "other" Melbourne.

(our mailing address is Melbourne, Florida.
biggrin.gif
)

Then: Congrats on a great find! We never know where the wallet-emptying demons from Head-Fi will lead us!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Congratulations!!

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 21
Certainly a bump there in price from the 325i to GS-1000. Congrats!
tongue.gif

How do the 325's compare to the GS-1000 by the way?

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YEAH BABY!!! THATS HOW ITS DONE!!

lol... Enjoy the cans. QUITE a jump from IEMs and closed cans huh?
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

One hell of a jump, but very glad I did it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha, that's awesome. That beats me going from wanting to buy 200 dollar speakers to wanting 500 dollar speakers in one day after auditioning.

BTW, did you try the RS2 or RS1? I'd like to know your impressions of the GS1000 and other Grados you tried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahobaka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly a bump there in price from the 325i to GS-1000. Congrats!
tongue.gif

How do the 325's compare to the GS-1000 by the way?

I will put this in brief words as best I can. I tried the 325i and I found it very coarse and muddy in comparison to the GS 1000. The 325i is still a good can mind you. The RS1 was really good, lots of detail, smooth, great soundstage and all of those effusive words and if he didn't have the GS 1000 I would most likely have been swayed to purchase them.

The GS 1000 just leapt out and grabbed me. The level of detail, warmth and so on was just better to my ears. But like all things audio, it is what the individual really hears and likes. A few other things about the GS1000, comfortable, comfortable, and comfortable and very light. Oh, and did I say comfortable? I really like the big bowls.

Happy listening
gs1000.gif

Simon

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 21
Congratulations Pieman...I'm seriously jealous!

Note to Self: Leave credit cards at home when auditioning high-end Grados!
icon10.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One hell of a jump, but very glad I did it.

I will put this in brief words as best I can. I tried the 325i and I found it very coarse and muddy in comparison to the GS 1000. The 325i is still a good can mind you. The RS1 was really good, lots of detail, smooth, great soundstage and all of those effusive words and if he didn't have the GS 1000 I would most likely have been swayed to purchase them.

The GS 1000 just leapt out and grabbed me. The level of detail, warmth and so on was just better to my ears. But like all things audio, it is what the individual really hears and likes. A few other things about the GS1000, comfortable, comfortable, and comfortable and very light. Oh, and did I say comfortable? I really like the big bowls.

Happy listening
gs1000.gif

Simon

Sounds great! My brother is getting the GS-1000 in about a month or so, and I'm probably getting the 325i's at the same time. I guess I'll find out in time, but would the big bowls from the GS-1000 fit on the 325i's and where would you be able to buy extras?

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by toanaldino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask where in Melbourne are the Grado dealers are?

I always wanted to try the RS-1/RS-2.

The link is the website. All the details are enclosed. They are actually the Australian distributor.

http://www.audiophile.com.au/index.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahobaka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds great! My brother is getting the GS-1000 in about a month or so, and I'm probably getting the 325i's at the same time. I guess I'll find out in time, but would the big bowls from the GS-1000 fit on the 325i's and where would you be able to buy extras?

Sorry can't help you with the bowl question.

cheers
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back