Audiphile 2496 or Revolution 5/7.1?
Jan 20, 2008 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ZarakiSan

100+ Head-Fier
So, erm, I haven't found all that much about these cards yet, but I want to know which of these is more recommendable. I do have a Surround setup, but it's not something I use often, it's only for movies and maybe some games, and I don't care about the quality all that much. So, really, I could jsut use Onboard for anything that goes to my reciever.

I just ordered a high-end CMOY amp, with a line-level input, so it's to go with that. I'm thinking the Audiophile should sound better since it's a 2-channel card, and not a six/eight-channel one like the Revolution. But I'm completely unsure.

I plan on using the card with Vista, XP, and Linux.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 11
Running the 2496 on my XP pro machine. Coax out to the digital input on my audio receiver. Sounds good to me.

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 11
Any words on the Vista drivers? Since I plan on using it, it's raher important to me, whether or not they are okay.

Also, is a true mini-jack line out available on the card somehow? With or without convertors. (RCA2x->Minijack)

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any words on the Vista drivers? Since I plan on using it, it's raher important to me, whether or not they are okay.

Also, is a true mini-jack line out available on the card somehow? With or without convertors. (RCA2x->Minijack)

last i checked M-Audio doesn't have very good Vista support in general. can't give you a more specific answer though.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 11
having attempted to use a revolution 5.1 in vista, i thought i better try and save you the headaches and the stress by highly recommending that you steer clear, i just could not get it to play ball! I have, however had an m-audio delta DiO working just fine...

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2496 seems to have a production driver for Vista. Revolution 5.1 has a beta.

I had to make the same decision and chose 2496 due to major driver problems with Revolution 5.1. It's a good card. I recommend it.

So, can you tell me how the Vista drivers are for the 2496? Are they exceptionaly good, or just mediocre? Does it come with some sort of advanced control panel?

Final question: Does it support standard front audio connectors? These are very useful to me, since my PC is LARGE and hard to crawl behind.

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, can you tell me how the Vista drivers are for the 2496? Are they exceptionaly good, or just mediocre? Does it come with some sort of advanced control panel?

Final question: Does it support standard front audio connectors? These are very useful to me, since my PC is LARGE and hard to crawl behind.

I don't know. I won't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole. All I know is that M-Audio lists them as non-beta, so they should be fairly stable. The XP drivers are quite nice, among pro gear they're pretty standard fare, but nicer than any consumer card I've purchased.

2496 is pretty straightforward. Stereo RCA ins and outs on the back panel and the breakout cable for MIDI in/out and SPDIF in/out. That's all you get. Front panel audio connectors are not supported. This card design is really quite old, 5 years or more, but it's well built and works well.

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know. I won't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole. All I know is that M-Audio lists them as non-beta, so they should be fairly stable. The XP drivers are quite nice, among pro gear they're pretty standard fare, but nicer than any consumer card I've purchased.

2496 is pretty straightforward. Stereo RCA ins and outs on the back panel and the breakout cable for MIDI in/out and SPDIF in/out. That's all you get. Front panel audio connectors are not supported. This card design is really quite old, 5 years or more, but it's well built and works well.

Hm, that's fairly annoying. I do want front panel support, simply because it is convenient for me. I guess I'll have to look on, then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back