Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 with Linux
Jan 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 6
I have this card in my Linux music server, and cannot adjust the volume through alsamixer...it behaves more like a line-level output instead of me being able to control the volume.  I recently purchased the card from the eBay distributor, Gyrocom.  When I run lspci...I get "03:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)".  Ive tried quite a few things and cant get the volume to adjust.  FWIW, my card is an Audiotrak HD2 Advance DE...not one of the original HD2s sold a few years ago.  As of right now, Im running the card through a passive preamp until I can get the volume adjustment issue sorted out.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Were you able to get the volume issue sorted out?

Thanks,
Jim

Quote:
I have this card in my Linux music server, and cannot adjust the volume through alsamixer...it behaves more like a line-level output instead of me being able to control the volume.  I recently purchased the card from the eBay distributor, Gyrocom.  When I run lspci...I get "03:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)".  Ive tried quite a few things and cant get the volume to adjust.  FWIW, my card is an Audiotrak HD2 Advance DE...not one of the original HD2s sold a few years ago.  As of right now, Im running the card through a passive preamp until I can get the volume adjustment issue sorted out.

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 6
Hello!
At first, sorry for my bad English, but i can explain a lot of Gyrocom (Audiotrak) Prodigy HD2 Advance DE and volume control on linux.
I am using Linux for many years, and this card is working wonderfully on my Arch Linux PC. Getting this ready was pain for me, but a final right result was quick and easy. So I will share with my experience. Here are things i have tried:
1. Default. Plugged in and on ALSA there is no volume control. Reinstalling ALSA, trying many configs on Internet gives no result.
2. Putting that jumper on J4 to ON. This gives no result. There is no sound at all, or there is loud crisp noise (i do not remember), but that was not working anyway.
3. Putting that jumper on j4 + flashing EEPROM. Actually this was interesting step. After this on windows you will have entirely another sound card, but on Linux still no success.
4. Install OSS instead of ALSA. Yess! It worked, but wait... What a hell is that crisp noise in my speakers??? Result - volume control works, but sound is defective giving crispy noise over treble. It is hard to explain for me this sound defect, but it will annoy you as audiophile. 
--(P.S. Here was my grand moving from Slackware to Arch Linux)--
5. Install PulseAudio. Yep, this is final step and this is what you are looking for. All things are working excellent. Now i have volume control with crystal clear sound and bad-ass advanced features.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 6
I have just ordered this same card for a Linux based HTPC build.  I'm not sure why folks are expecting a volume control.  I assume you are using the red and white RCA audio outputs?  As with all audio equipment, these are typically line level outputs.  I.e. they are not adjustable in volume, nor are they capable of directly driving a pair of speakers. 

No different from the audio outputs on the back of a stand alone blu-ray player.  You would not adjust the audio volume using the blu ray player, you would adjust it using your home theatre receiver, or using the television set's internal amplifier.

To be clear, you need to connect these line level outputs to an amplifier.  This is how I intend to use this card.  It will be connected to a Rega hi-fi stereo amplifier, a Rega Mira 3.  The volume will be controlled using the Rega Mira 3 amplifier.

Pulseaudio as a software based volume control is a poor choice for a high end card like this.  Pulse audio is controlling the volume of the card digitally, by dropping bits.  Using pulseaudio to adjust the volume control digitally will result in noticeable poorer audio quality for anything below 100% volume level.  I will not be using Pulseaudio at all on my HTPC build for this reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back