Audiotrak DrHead mini review
Nov 9, 2006 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gouki

Head-Fier
Hi guys/gals,

I just bought the mentioned portable amp (made in Korea) in a hope to get something more out of my music and boy what a difference it makes. It is by no mean a heavy weight, but I do notice quite a bit of changes especially in the bass and mids. I love the fact that its portable and you charge it like a mobile phone. The battery is rated at 8-12 hours. There was another headphone amp at the shops that was smaller and made in Canada. The sound was almost as good except it didn't sound as "beefy" as the DrHead amp.

The only setback was when I tried DrHead with my friend's iPod where there wasn't much difference. The iPod sound was quite horrible though some of that could be because of the oldish headphones that he had. I tried it with my Sharp MD33 earphones (far superior) but the results were the same.

According to the specs, the amp is rated to play any kinds of headphones from 32ohms to 600 (it can support the AKG K240M).

Here's the website :

http://www.audiotrak.net/drhead.htm

I do have a question. Will I be able to use it to power speakers? like bookshelf speakers. There are 2 output ports for headphones on mine, but on the site it says an input and output on the same ports. Whats up with that?

Nov 9, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 10
Thank you for the review. I was looking for an amp for my HD595 and Dr. Head was on my mind but my dealer didn't have it so I got the Headfive instead
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you will need something like Audiotrack's DrAMP for your speakers
http://www.audiotrak.net/drAMP.htm
It is rated 15w per channel. If the speakers isn't too demanding you should get some sound with it.

If you use your pc for music you can use CARDamp MK-II instead.
http://www.audiotrak.co.kr/audiotrak/php/cardampmk2.php

Nov 9, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 10
I knew this amp but this seems to be a newer, improved version. Right?

Anyway, to my eyes, it's interesting indeed, with the socketed op-amp and the diamond buffer, the quality pot & jacks, and the gold plated RCA (ooohhhh, sweet...) inputs. Depending on the selling price... (what is it?)

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJN
Thank you for the review. I was looking for an amp for my HD595 and Dr. Head was on my mind but my dealer didn't have it so I got the Headfive instead
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you will need something like Audiotrack's DrAMP for your speakers
http://www.audiotrak.net/drAMP.htm
It is rated 15w per channel. If the speakers isn't too demanding you should get some sound with it.

If you use your pc for music you can use CARDamp MK-II instead.
http://www.audiotrak.co.kr/audiotrak/php/cardampmk2.php

Yeah thanks for your suggestion. I'm a bit of an amp/headphone newbie and will never get into the technical side of things, which was why I wrote about this Amp to find out if other people have had any experiences with it. Seems like there aren't. What is the technical difference between DrHead and the DrAmp? They just look like the same thing to me.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I knew this amp but this seems to be a newer, improved version. Right?

Anyway, to my eyes, it's interesting indeed, with the socketed op-amp and the diamond buffer, the quality pot & jacks, and the gold plated RCA (ooohhhh, sweet...) inputs. Depending on the selling price... (what is it?)

Yes this is the newer version of their portable Amp with some notable improvements according to words on the internet. I actually knew nothing about it, but I bought it anyway and did my research later
biggrin.gif

It cost me at around $90 USD? Cheap?

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouki
It cost me at around $90 USD? Cheap?

At that price, definitely competitive!

Nov 10, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 10
i drove for 5 hours alone all the way into another country (Singapore) to get the DrHead and the DT990. but my luck was just 50%... the dealer didnt have any in stock. they had the DT990 so i bought that and i bought the ICute amp instead. they had alot of DrAmp though
frown.gif
i couldnt go to other shops as most of them were closed since it was a public holiday.

how i wish i could get this small digital wonder.

As for DrAmp, my boss' elder brother told me he compared it A/B with an SGD$1k home theatre amp (dunno which one) and found the DrAmp to be better
rs1smile.gif
and its only a little less than 1/4 the price!

still waiting for the dealer to re-stock the DrHead and then im gonna be taking another 5 hour drive down to singapore
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

EDIT: forgot to mention that im GREEEEEENN with envy that Gouki managed to get the amp
biggrin.gif

EDIT 2: typo...

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Geez madman, I'd call 10 hours driving dedication! Surely you must like the beaches at Sentosa?
icon10.gif

I don't know if DrHead can compare with $1000 amps, but for its size it is bloody impressive considering the features that it has.

Nov 11, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 10
LOL.... what can i say? im a car enthusiast and i love driving :p that and also the fact i cant get the DrHead in Malaysia and i have to order the DT990 and wait for 2-4 weeks for it. plus it also costs a bomb!

and ive never been to Sentosa honestly..only to Orchard Road (which is where my Singapore office branch is at), Sim Lim Square, and now Adelphi.

the SGD$1K amp was compared with DrAmp not DrHead... typo error on my part
biggrin.gif

by the way....whats the dimensions and weight of the DrHead? i cant seem to find it on the website

also...id like to know whats your source and also what head gear u using plus the kind of music u listen to...

if its not too much trouble of course

Nov 11, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 10
That sounds like a nice alternative. I couldn't find anything when I searched the forums, and all thier distributors, only seem to carry thier audio cards, not thier amps...
mad.gif

Anybody know where you can snag one up???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back