Audiotrak DR. DAC2 DX
Sep 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #17 of 38
OK, I have Dr.DAC2 for almost a year now. So, my opamp config after several rounds of rolling is as follows:
FDO=2xOPA627bp + 2xOPA627au + AD797brz
LineOut=AD797brz
HeadOut=still empty. Working on it.
Basically I do listen via LineOut on my speakers. And you know - the sound is fantastic. There is no minus in any meaning. It is just complete wall of sound in front of me.
So, what do you say about AD797brz. It is one of the most best to my mind.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #18 of 38
Just bought a Dr.DAC2 DX.

The two sockets in I/V are too close, can’t fit in two browndog. I actually soldered a extension wire to the browndog so that I can try out those 1ch opamp. I encountered the same problem with Asus STX.

Had problem with OPA637BM in I/V. It produced a strong zzzzz… But ok to use it in the buffer, headOut or lineout.

Current configuration:
FDO (I/V)= LME49710HA x4
FDO (buffer)= LME49710HA x2
HeadOut= OPA637BM x2
LineOut=empty

Later tonight, will do a quick A/B comparing Dr.DAC2 DX vs Asus STX using headphone (didn’t try lineout).

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 38
Hi, I'm curious if you can mute the headphone out and just use it as a preamp? Does it 'plopp' if you switch between headphone out and pre out?

best regards.
bearmann

May 23, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #20 of 38
Could someone please explain to me what this 'amp-rolling' or something means?
I'm considering this DAC and would like to know what that is.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noobish question.

May 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:
Could someone please explain to me what this 'amp-rolling' or something means?
I'm considering this DAC and would like to know what that is.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noobish question.

Opamp rolling means to replace the operational amplifiers inside the unit to change or flavor the sound in different ways.  Rolling usually suggests that you replace, test, and replace again, looking for a combo that fits your tastes.

May 24, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #22 of 38

Quote:

Opamp rolling means to replace the operational amplifiers inside the unit to change or flavor the sound in different ways.  Rolling usually suggests that you replace, test, and replace again, looking for a combo that fits your tastes.

Ah, I see. Thanks for your reply.

How much of a nessesity is Opamp rolling do you think? Because I'm considering both the Dr. DAC2 DX and the Matrix Mini-i and I know the mini-i doesnt have this Opamp rolling option right?
Do you think that I will miss this function would I decide to go with the Matrix Mini-i ?

Cheers.

May 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #23 of 38

Quote:
Ah, I see. Thanks for your reply.

How much of a nessesity is Opamp rolling do you think? Because I'm considering both the Dr. DAC2 DX and the Matrix Mini-i and I know the mini-i doesnt have this Opamp rolling option right?
Do you think that I will miss this function would I decide to go with the Matrix Mini-i ?

Cheers.

Well higer quality opamps can improve your sound quality or modify it to be a better match for your gear.
If you have the option to change out your opamps, I would go with some different units.

May 30, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #24 of 38
Thanks for the help all.

I'm seriously considering the DAC2 DX right now, but there is still one thing about Opamp Rolling before I make the purchase...
How do you do it exaclty? :p I know what it means and what it does, but how do you do this rolling of Opamps within the device? Do you do it by changing some things on the chip board? Or do I have to buy anything for it?

Sorry once again for this noobish question, but I'm fairly new to this so I just want to learn. I hope any1 can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

May 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #25 of 38

Quote:
Thanks for the help all.

I'm seriously considering the DAC2 DX right now, but there is still one thing about Opamp Rolling before I make the purchase...
How do you do it exaclty? :p I know what it means and what it does, but how do you do this rolling of Opamps within the device? Do you do it by changing some things on the chip board? Or do I have to buy anything for it?

Sorry once again for this noobish question, but I'm fairly new to this so I just want to learn. I hope any1 can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

You just replace the stock opamps with higher quality units or units that are a better match for your taste.  Many audio devices these days come with opamp sockets which allow you to easily snap in new opamps.  Check if the unit has sockets, I think it does but I don't own that so I cannot be sure.

May 30, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #26 of 38

Quote:
You just replace the stock opamps with higher quality units or units that are a better match for your taste.  Many audio devices these days come with opamp sockets which allow you to easily snap in new opamps.  Check if the unit has sockets, I think it does but I don't own that so I cannot be sure.

Thanks for your response.

So if I understand it correctly, you replace the stock units with other units on the chip itself right?
And where do I get these higher quality units? Do they come with the package? Or do I need to buy these seperately?

May 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 38

Quote:
On the PCB board itself.  I would suggest that is you are unfamiliair that you do some reading..etc to prevent you from damaging the units, opamps or both.

Yeah that would probably be the best :p Haha.
Thanks again for you help, appreciate it.

I'm planning on ordering the DAC2 DX tomorrow.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 38

Joe_cool, many thanks for uploading the wonderful photos and suggesting some musical mods.  I'll be opamp rolling for sure.  Before I buy the unit to compare to my MF V-DAC/V-CAN combo, I wanted to know your thoughts on the power supply?   I get the impression that the power supply can be a weak link despite the nice caps, better opamps, etc.  Have you done anything to remedy that?

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #30 of 38
Regarding the external power supply, I feel this is a non-issue. Internally, the DR.DAC2 uses a switching voltage converter to get the +/- 12VDC and the lower +5/+3 voltages needed for the digital circuits. I tried several adapters including a linear (non-switching) adapter and observed no obvious differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back