Audiotrak DR. DAC2 DX
Nov 8, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #32 of 38

Quote:
Anyone knows what is the gain setting for the headphone out op-amp (stock OPA2604) ???

I plan to try AD8066 to replace OPA2604, but AD8066 stables on gain 5 and above.  Thanks!

I got the answer, the low gain setting for headphone output 1 is 2.5, and the high gain setting for headphone output 2 is 10.
My mistake, AD8066 seems to be unity gain stable. The datasheet doesn't state it, also not stated what is the minimum stable gain, but the graphs showing gain of +1, +2, etc, so it seems that AD8066 can be use for Dr. DAC2 DX.  I will test it when have time.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #33 of 38
This amp is a little gem.  If you own one and haven't swapped out the op-amps yet, you must give it a try.  Depending on your cans, you can tailor the sound perfectly to your liking.  A OPA627 browndog in the headphone output did it for me.  It impacted the sound more than swapping out the op-amps in the dac section.

I also like the sample rate indicator lights ... tells me if my computer is sending out a true bit rate.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #34 of 38
I finally settled with 3x OPA2107 to replace the 3x NE5532 in the FDO section, and OPA1642 for the headphone amp section.  I tried also AD8066, not stable, generates noise after a while.  OP275 sounds very close with OPA1642, not easy to distinguish them, but OPA1642 has a tad better detail and separation.

Yes, Dr. DAC2 DX is very nice DAC+Amp unit, small and wonderful :)

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #35 of 38
nice thread, I m interrested what phones you guys are using and with what music? I m completing a travel rig I got the dr dac2 on stock opamps now and I m lost when it comes to picking a pair of phones.

The Dac is great with my speaker system, not much else to say, just perfect for me. Then I got myself a pair of sr80i's and I m not happy at all with that setup. No bass, some frequencies are saturated and some drum kicks sound almost like a clipping mp3 and are downright painfull, zero soundstage - all is flat. Few albums sound good though, things with lot of keyboards and no deeper bass. Also gibson SG's, Les paul's and Fender Telecaster are playing good.

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #36 of 38
Let replace the 2 wima 2.2.uf cap with some better one, the sound stage will be completely different!
I found the poor sound is come from the 2 wima 2.2uf caps, and it is the bottle neck of the Dr.dac2 dx.
I replaced them with 2 M-Cap 2.2uf 250V.
It will be impressive rather than replacing the op amps........

6731aefa.jpg

take a reference to
http://www.earzone.com.tw/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2887

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #37 of 38
Nathan published his Dac3 review earlier

http://www.headfonia.com/audiotrak-dr-dac3-a-kludgy-steal/

Can't seem to find a Headfi thread on it

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #38 of 38
  Nathan published his Dac3 review earlier

http://www.headfonia.com/audiotrak-dr-dac3-a-kludgy-steal/

Can't seem to find a Headfi thread on it

Well having no Headfi thread is kludgy, but it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back