Audiotrak Dr. Dac 2 reviews?
Jul 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shleepy

100+ Head-Fier
I posted a WTB thread for a DAC with certain requirements and got a PM about an Audiotrak Dr. Dac 2. It does fit my requirements well, but I haven't seen any English language reviews... Does anyone have a link to a review, or can someone review it themselves?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm wondering how it would compare to a similarly (or cheaper) DAC for use from USB, maybe something like Fubar III or a Zero DAC with a USB/spdif adapter.

Thanks!

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by trendy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you own one or you found the picture on another review?

This ''picture'' is from forum ixbt (at the very bottom)
Îáñóæäåíèå ñòàòüè iXBT.com: "iXBT: Audiotrak Audiotrak Dr.Dac2" [1] - Êîíôåðåíöèÿ iXBT.com

In review from IXBT they are writing, this Dr.Dac2 is in the blind test indistinguishable from HD2 ,but they are also writing that the Headphone Amp in the HD2 offers slightly lower quality than headphone amp in the Dr.Dac2 .

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 9
This is because they used the OPA2604 instead of the NJM4580 in the Dr.DAC2. On the other hand, the BB op-amp hasn't got much juice to drive low-impedance headphones, neither its output impedance us suitable for them. So I'm just curious what they did for the low impedance output - resistor buffering? The good is that you can replace the hedphone op-amp for something more powerful like i.e. AD8397. On the HD2 it would involve SMT soldering and fitting another SSOP op-amp. There is no big choice of them.
For me the info about the same sound signature as the HD2 is actually disappointing because there are other similarily priced DAC's that IMHO go further with the SQ like Yulong.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 9
Sorry for the english...........
which is the best opa (no soldering)for the Audiotrak Dr. Dac 2???

Fdo..............???
line out.........???
Headphone....???

thanks...............
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pantapei10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the english...........
which is the best opa (no soldering)for the Audiotrak Dr. Dac 2???

Fdo..............???
line out.........???
Headphone....???

thanks...............
tongue.gif

I second this.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 9
I have dr.dac2 for a while. Spent for it 330$ (including shipping to EU).
Well, the native setup is pretty laid back as native opamps are cheap ones.
So, I did work on changing opamps for several monthes, here is my final setup:
FDO from NE5532 --> 2xOPA627bp and 2xOPA627au
I/V from NE5532 --> 2xAD797brz
LineOut --> 2xAD797brz
HeadOut still empty.
Of course the rest of setup like cables, amp, speakers, wires plays role, BUT to my mind the sound is amazing. It is crazy spacious, natural, very detailed, no harsh at all. I revisit all my CDs and mp3s and cannot stop wondering how much opamps play in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back