Audiothechnica 950LTD
Feb 16, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #106 of 249
I have my order in with Bluetin. I had a look first at opinions around Head-fi and other places, and they do seem very good.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #107 of 249
Good to know, thx guys.
So how much is the ATH-A950LTD?
Is the premium we pay for the LTD edition well worth the money than the A900 or similiar? If dif isn't huge but the price dif is then I assume the LTD is better suitable for AT enthusiasts or people who just want to get into the hype for those limited production products. Well, I must admit that I'm also very tempting in getting the A950LTD but my rationality is still keeping me checked
lambda.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #108 of 249
I haven't heard any AT yet, but there was another thread in the past few days, where a head-fi'er found the A950LTD very similar to the A900LTD, and both of them somewhat better than the A900.

Given that most people seem to find the A900LTD more satisfying than the W1000, the A950 looks like a good buy.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #109 of 249
Any ideas what's the price range for the A900LTD/A950LTDs?
I found the price for the A900 to be $180, which I think is an awsome price consider with that price I can't even get half as good headphones here in Canada.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #110 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiramisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the price for the A900 to be $180, which I think is an awsome price consider with that price I can't even get half as good headphones here in Canada.

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/products/hp/ath-a900ltd.html

A900LTD = 35000yen

The new A950LTD cost the same more or less.
Plus shipment, of course.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #111 of 249
Quote:

As qouted earlier in this thread, A950LTD is $318 USD thru bluetin. The A900LTD has been discontinued about a year ago and can be found once in a while in the FS forum for around $300+/- USD used.

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #112 of 249
Okieday, I'm in line for the first batch.
biggrin.gif
Big thanks to Minhwa for being so-on-the-ball. I missed out on the a900ltd, but I take the a950ltd coming out at a time when I've got some money to be a sign that I shouldn't miss out on these.
biggrin.gif

Yes, this is how I rationalize it, it was simply fate, I had no choice.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #113 of 249
Quote:

There's something wrong with their website. The page is just blank when it's done loading. Is it safe to deal with them?

In the deleted A950ltd thread, minhwa was quite forthcoming in saying that their website sucks.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #114 of 249
The A950LTD is continuing to burn-in. I'm not a strong believer in burn-in pro or con, but I believe I experienced significant burn-in changes with the L3000. Anyway, it only takes time and is basically a free "tweak."

The A950LTD's sound signature is most similar to the L3000, followed by the W2002, W5000 and then the AD2000. So far, I prefer the A950LTD least out of the five.

I don't think most L3000 owners would be interested in the A950LTD. They aren't complementary. The A950LTD seems like a toned-down version of the L3000 which is less involving, less detailed, less life-like and more bland. There are a lot of dynamics missing and the music has less impact. Notes separation is less crisp and clear. Soundstage is also smaller.

It's kind of like the L3000 crossed with the HD650, in a way. Take the L3000, remove details, dynamics and texture, and add the veil, some smoothness (the bad kind, due to lack of details), some muddiness and some bass bloat and voila! the A950LTD!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Keep in mind I'm comparing the A950LTD to a much more expensive headphone. Hopefully the A950LTD can improve with further burn-in, though I have my doubts. For those who're interested, I can do comparison with more popular headphones such as the HD650, K701 and RS-1. I feel direct comparisons are the most useful and informative.

Here's the A950LTD with W5000 earpads installed. If I keep the A950LTD I intend to buy a set of these pads for them.

A950LTDwithW5000pads.jpg

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #115 of 249
Elephas

My experience with two A900LTDs suggests that the sound will be at its worst between 75 and 100 hours and after 150 hours it should almost come back home to what it was out of the box.

Sounds like you have captured the sound of the A950LTDs. Now you should hear it once it is Fitz's as SK138 implemented it, after burn-in compete that is with at least 200 hours on it. It still will not be at the L3000 league but some distance will have been made up in the areas of detail and bass tightness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A950LTD is continuing to burn-in. I'm not a strong believer in burn-in pro or con, but I believe I experienced significant burn-in changes with the L3000. Anyway, it only takes time and is basically a free "tweak."

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #116 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who're interested, I can do comparison with more popular headphones such as the HD650, K701 and RS-1. I feel direct comparisons are the most useful and informative.

Yes, I'm interested. That would be quite helpful!

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #118 of 249
By looking closely at the following AT models, I found them to be quite low on their impedance, ranging from 32ohm to just 40ohms: ES7, SJ5, Pro700 series, A900 series. I know that the portable ones like the ES7, SJ5 or even the Pro700 series studio monitors are perfect for directly connecting to your beloved MP3 player without the necessity of an amp but would the higher end models like the A900 series at 40ohms still be an excellent choice for portable players like some of the others concurred with the Senn HD595/555s at a greater resistance, 50ohms?

Also, how would be able to get in touch with mingho at bluetin to know what's the exact number of reserves on the A950LTD up to this point before I actually submit my pre-order for it? I really have to agree with others about the poor web design/layout becouse it's quite confusing. I'm located in Canada and when I clicked in the US WORLDWIDE section, I can see the price in USD and that's great, better than any other currencies. However, I can't seems to find the ORDER FORM! So I clicked into Singapore as I assume that's where their "head office" and there I can see I can order from there but the transaction method uses "singapore banking?" I'm wondering where would be the best ideal place to submit an order, by what kind of payment method and shipped the item from which country to Canada. Ok I admit I don't deal ebay and rarely deal with online purchases becouse I got scammed for $499USD from ebay from buying a set of HID headlights for my GOLF long ago and the E-Business in the Canadian market is just far off short from the states so that's why I'm not really used to and heart-resting to online shopping.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #119 of 249
No need to click the Singapore main office, the order form is linked at the top of the page, the left-hand banner, cleverly called "get price quote". His name is Minghwa btw, and the site may not be the best but he's not a scammer. Drop him a pm here, his username is Minghwa, if you'd like to order.

I'm curious about how source-friendly these are. Will the a950 scale up, or does it retain that characteristic from the a900 of sounding good from mostly anything?

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #120 of 249
Good from most anything that is if you do enjoy them, based on my A900LTD experience. Some people just have a problem with some phones. Hopefully this will not be your issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to click the Singapore main office, the order form is linked at the top of the page, the left-hand banner, cleverly called "get price quote". His name is Minghwa btw, and the site may not be the best but he's not a scammer. Drop him a pm here, his username is Minghwa, if you'd like to order.

I'm curious about how source-friendly these are. Will the a950 scale up, or does it retain that characteristic from the a900 of sounding good from mostly anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back