audiotechnicas
Mar 9, 2005 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

unkoman

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new closed can for my portables, and considering the a500-900, but how are the isolation of those cans compared to hd280?
Thanks

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 7
The ATH-A500s/ATH-A900s provide a little less isolation, but it's certainly not enough to dissuade you from purchasing them over the HD280s. Of course, HD280s provide the best isolation of almost any closed headphone.

IMHO, I find the Audio-Technicas to provide better sound quality, but everyone has their own tastes.

The Audio-technicas are a little slower on transients, but I feel that they outperform the HD280s in nearly every other facet.

Mar 9, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 7
with the "remove the foam pads and replace with cotton wool and blutak" mod they would be
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 7
As circumaural cans they are particularly large and do not lend to portability. They may sound better than HD280, but they are not as portable.

Mar 11, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of getting the ATHs' for use in airplanes and other noisy environment.(public transportation, etc.) I'm also thinking of getting a canal phone but worrying that they might sound too "in your ears" (no soundstage). How are the soundstage of canal phones compared to the HD280?
Thanks

Mar 11, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Unless you go up the $ scale, canal phone will unlikely provide you the soundstage as well as full size cans. For example, though ER4P/S are similar price range to AD900, and have close to the same detail, balance and audio signature but practically 0 soundstage. But these intraaurals are much better at isolation than the circumaural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back