AudioTechnica for classical?
Apr 16, 2007 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

televators

Banned
001.png

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, I can only compare the W1000 with RS-2's, SR-125's and ER-4P's. The W1000 are my favorite among the three for classical. I find the sound stage to be much better and I feel it is more enveloping. It really surrounds you nicely. I've been to a few concerts in an "acoustically perfect" hall and the W1000's give the closest presentation among the 3. I haven't tried other AT headphones, but I imagine they should do well. I couldn't be happier with the W1000's for classical. I also feel the W1000's would do well in electronica.

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the ATH-A700 and I think they are great for soundtrack music such as John Barry. The sound stage and detail of the orchestras is very impressive. I turn off the lights and I'm up front with orchestra with these headphones. My only complaint with this model is the microphoning from the cord (if you bump it it is easily heard into the left head piece), you have to sit pretty still to enjoy the music.

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 7
I owned the W1000 until just recently and really thought they were decent for classical, if you trusted their version of the truth, as I find them to be quite colored... I prefer them much more for jazz... all-in-all a decent headphone!

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the W1000 until just recently and really thought they were decent for classical, if you trusted their version of the truth, as I find them to be quite colored... I prefer them much more for jazz... all-in-all a decent headphone!

Similar to my experience with both the AD2000 and AD700 which I owned, and also the A100 which I have heard. I really liked the AD2000 best with brass, and vocals were ok. The low bass was the best I've ever heard in a headphone, and that includes the DX1000. The AD2000's didn't resolve the fine details of violins very well, sounded more like wax instead of rosin on the bow. Overall, the midrange has a kind of low nasal "honk" to it.

For classical, I would recommend the AKG 501/601/701, or the Sennheiser HD580/600. If you like it bright, the Beyer DT880's; or dark, the Sennheiser HD650. Any of these cans will do classical better than the AT's that I've heard, IMHO.

Hey Televators, You are most welcome to buzz over here to Lawrence and check out my stash of gear sometime. We just had a meet here - didn't know you are around or we would have invited you. Next meet in late Summer or early Fall.

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by gosxicotet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, one question please...

is the MS1 good for classical music, opera, vocal, etc...?

if it's not good, what "portable" headphone is it?

thank's

You should make your own thread or read off someone else's thread since that could go into some debate ^^

I think they're not the best choice for classical music, etc.

It is hard to find something that's good for classical that is a portable..

Also for AT, it really depends. I own A700, A950LTD, W1000, CM700ti, EW9 and none really strikes me as a good classical can except for W1000, and EW9 just plainly sounds weak.. if there is one thing I can say it's good for, then it would be classical as well. Technically the AT woodies are good for classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back