AudioTechnica ATH-M50 vs Shure SRH840
Aug 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Quake120

100+ Head-Fier
A co-worker got some ATH-M50s and I demoed them and I really like their sound, but this place has taught me two things: 1) There is always something better and 2) I am weak when it comes to actually buying a pair of headphones. I always have this feeling like I could have spent a bit more and gotten a pair just a BIT better...But I digress...

I am leaning towards the M50's, mostly because I've heard them and I really did like what I heard. I've seen these compared to the Shure SRH840. From somebody who has owned both, what does each sound like in comparison? 
I listen to nearly every musical genre, plus movies/videos/video games. My main cans are HD595, so I'm not too terribly concerned with an analytical/accurate/"cold" sound, but the 595s aren't really "fun". I think that's why I like the M50s is because they make music sound fun. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 15
The M-50's have recessed mids, so you have to be OK with that.  The Shure does not, although its treble is rolled off a bit.  There are many good/reasonable choices in this general price range (e.g. CAL!, Grado, Sony, Alessandro, etc.).

What is your budget?

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and isolate poorly--but often offer a bigger sound stage)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 15
Budget: Maximum $200, leaning towards the $130 - $150 range. 
Closed/Open: This pair of headphones need to be closed because I intend on using them in a noisy environment and also at home, possibly around sleeping wife/kids.
Equipment/Amp: Cell phone/work laptop when away from home, Onboard Soundcard ->(SPDIF) Onkyo TX-SR606 at home. Possibility of Little Dot MK IV SE eventually to power Beyer DT880 600ohm...But this is not going to happen for awhile. 
Format: Anything from 128Kbps MP3 to SACD FLAC, lots of Spotify, as well (320Kbps at high quality streaming, I think)
Sound Signature: I prefer an accurate, uncolored sound signature, and I'm not adverse to a cold, analytical sound. I have HD595s which are pretty cold if you ask me...I just liked the M50s because they have a more 'fun' sound than the 595s. I'm willing to deviate a bit on accuracy in the sake of a fun sounding pair of headphones here...
Genres: Mostly alternative rock, but I also listen to just about anything else from EDM, reggae, trip hop, softer music, classical, jazz, blues...you name it, I'll probably listen to it. I appreciate all music :)

I heard the M50s from a co-worker and I really did like them, which is why I'm leaning in that direction...I just wanted to get a second opinion as far as what else is available in the price range since I see the Shures compared frequently to the M50s. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 15
You need to chose between relativdely efficient (easy to drive) closed cans that are either mostly "accurate, uncolored sound signature" (like the Shure, KRK KNS 8400 and Sony MDR 7506 & 7510) and those that are colored and enjoyable to you (like the M50 or Ultrasone HiFi 780).

I prefer the first group, but you may like the second better.  I suggest that you listen to as many of these as you can before you decide.  That will not only give you their sound signatures, but also tell you about their comfort, isolation and leakage.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
On a scale from 1 to 100, 1 being absolutely uncolored, and 100 being completely colored, where would you say the M50s fall? What about the Shures?

I could call out a number, but that misses the key point.  That key point is the way and degree that the M50 deviates from neutral.  The M50 has recessed mids, which means that sounds like those of guitars and vocals are pushed back into the mix.  Those things are important to me.  Therefore in my book, that places the M50 behind the other cans I mentioned, as well as others like the (also but differently colored) open Grados in the same price class.

Those who like the enhanced bass and pushed up treble of the M50 and are OK with its recessed mids will rank them higher.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 15
I see...Well, I will see if I can find somewhere locally that carries the Shures or the others you mentioned. I live in Utah which means it is difficult sometimes to find stores that carry them. Have you personally tried out the Shures? What was the bass like in comparison to the M50?

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
I see...Well, I will see if I can find somewhere locally that carries the Shures or the others you mentioned. I live in Utah which means it is difficult sometimes to find stores that carry them. Have you personally tried out the Shures? What was the bass like in comparison to the M50?

I own all the cans I have referenced, except for the 7506.

The M50 has more bass than Shure--and every other can mentioned.  I wouldn't call the M50 a basshead lite can, but it's close.

If you have a Guitar Center in your area, you should be able to listen to at least some of these cans.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 15
Yep, have a guitar center 10 miles or so away. I drive by that freeway exit every day on my way to work, so I'll stop by. 
Just curious, have you tried a 595? What is the bass on the Shures like compared to it? 
I'm not a basshead by any means, but something with a BIT more bass than the 595 would be good.

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 15
I second the notion that you should go to Guitar Center and try them side by side. I demoed the M50x (the newer model of the M50s) and an old pair of the SRH840's, so I am not sure if it was a great comparison (these were also on separate days), but the M50s seemed to have more detail in the sound - better clarity in the timbre of stringed instruments and separation of the instruments. The SRH840s were more comfortable to me, however, but I think that's just because the out of the box M50s have a pretty strong clamping force that will loosen up with use. But really what it all comes down to is your personal preference. We can go back and forth describing their sound signature, but you've got to listen yourself and see what you prefer.

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 15
I've never heard the M50s but faced the same dilemma three years ago when I chose my 840s over them.  

Your musical tastes seem pretty broad.  I will say that if you are a person who appreciates good vocals, then the Shures would suit you well as they have a sweet midrange/vocal region.  They have a good soungstage for a closed can, and they also have scaled up nicely on my Aune T1 amp/dac.

Both are good, highly respected headphones from good companies, so you won't make a "wrong" choice no matter which way you go.

May 25, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 15
If I elevate the bass using amplifier and graphic equalizer, can I get the shure as bassy as the ath-m50x? thanx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back