AudioTechnica ath-e40 | 12.5mm dual coil 3rd-gen DD monitor
Feb 1, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 8
Search is your friend :) Plenty, including me, have had these in the past.  Not sure what the first pic has to do with the E40 as that is a JVC headphone :)

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Some comments after the E40 is released for over half year.

It sounds like CKR9 Limited in vocal. Sweet but not too warm.

Its coil size is almost = CKR10 (the 2015 flagship of audio technica)

It uses a new connector called A2DC which solved some issues of MMCX.

Its price is 12,000 yen which is lower than CKR9 Limited and CKR10

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 8
They are solid but not special for $99 in the current market. Needed to be vented for the best bass and stage but do okay anyway. Fit isn't the best and has forced a few on here to sell them. Cable is a bit too long, needs a less obtrusive memory wire portion, and leaves some SQ on the table so it is recommended to upgrade it. Unfortunately the E40 are out of favor now as most have sold theirs as the curiosity was satisfied. Even with the $79 to $99 price they got some to try them out but they never really took off. They just aren't quite the CKR's :frowning2:

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 8
  They are solid but not special for $99 in the current market. Needed to be vented for the best bass and stage but do okay anyway. Fit isn't the best and has forced a few on here to sell them. Cable is a bit too long, needs a less obtrusive memory wire portion, and leaves some SQ on the table so it is recommended to upgrade it. Unfortunately the E40 are out of favor now as most have sold theirs as the curiosity was satisfied. Even with the $79 to $99 price they got some to try them out but they never really took off. They just aren't quite the CKR's :frowning2:

Actually it is quite popular in Taiwan and China. Due to it is like the CKR9LTD which has sweet vocal.  It is not very bassy compare to my current CKMK diy.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Yep, funny how Chinese phones are more popular on here. $70 and $80 and people still wanted the Chinese earphones over the E40. LZ A2, PMV, 1More etc.

The vocals were okay to me. I am an old AKG guy so mids have to be quite good to move me. Maybe more forward and sweet than CKR9 and indeed more like the LTD.  I thought the ATH-Sport 3 had slightly better bass and mids than the E40 and after buying those and comparing for a while I felt I no longer needed the E40 anymore. I waffled on the idea of getting a better cable for them but didn't.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 8
  Yep, funny how Chinese phones are more popular on here. $70 and $80 and people still wanted the Chinese earphones over the E40. LZ A2, PMV, 1More etc.

The vocals were okay to me. I am an old AKG guy so mids have to be quite good to move me. Maybe more forward and sweet than CKR9 and indeed more like the LTD.  I thought the ATH-Sport 3 had slightly better bass and mids than the E40 and after buying those and comparing for a while I felt I no longer needed the E40 anymore. I waffled on the idea of getting a better cable for them but didn't.

Thanks for your review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back