Audiotechnica ATH-7 Electret Pad Replacement?
Jan 23, 2005 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

groch

New Head-Fier
I have a set of 80s vintage Audiotechnica ATH-7s that work great but the vinyl has disintegrated off the earpads leaving just the cottony cloth backing. My guess is the vinyl may have provided a better seal and a bit more bass.

I expect replacements are long discontinued, and wonder if anyone can suggest a likely substitute. They are round not oval, and exactly 3" in diameter and the hole is exactly one inch in diameter. The current ones are about 1/3 inch thick, but may have been slightly thicker when new. The headband provides very little pressure, so the pads are quite soft. The inside of the earphones are absolutely flat and the pads are just glued on.

Any ideas on similar sized substitues. A soft vinyl/leather would probably match the original acoustics best.

BTW- I got these out of the attic to try with a Sonic Impact T-Amp and the combination works VERY well. The top end is extended and sweet, and very detailed. I remember liking these more than the equivalent Stax way back then. There could be a bit more bass and perhaps pads will help.

Sincere thanks in advance for help.
George

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 3
BUMP for help for the ignorant new guy (me).

Could someone measure the Grado options. I know I can order pads for them and they look about the right size. Any 3" in diameter? Thanks Much.

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 3
Sennheiser HD25 pads is really all i can think of now, and that may not be fitting either. It has a 1" hole in the middle, but the whole pad is only 2.75" in diameter
frown.gif

A bump for you... those ATH-7 looks very interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back