Audiotechnia A900 or Sony CD3000
Feb 23, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #16 of 45
Almost every Sony product I have ever bought have had problems due to bad build quality. I would never buy a Sony product if there is a similar option of another brand. [/QUOTE]

Similar option? CD3000s are very unique... I mean, I've tried Etys and I have tried HD580s (close to 600s w/ stock) and they are a different sound all together.

Build quality is a very low priority in high fidelity sound. Take care of your toys and build quality will be of no importance.

Most of my electronic equipment is Sony... I've had no problems with any of my stuff. TVs, cd drives, dvd drives, stereos, pcdp, etc. I'd agree with you if any of my stuff ever needed repairs but they havn't.

Hope no one is deterred away from these phones just because they are Sonys.

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 45
I've gone through that entire thread, thanks itza2mer.

BTW, I've never had any problems with my Sony products either, but I hear their customer support has gone to hell...

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by oneeyedhobbit
I've gone through that entire thread, thanks itza2mer.

BTW, I've never had any problems with my Sony products either, but I hear their customer support has gone to hell...

I should add that I've had problems with Sennheiser and Grado headphone drivers in the past. When any company manufacturers a product, a few 'flawed' items are gonna slip thru the cracks. The main problem I have with Sony is the current lack of care Sony Service USA has for it's customers these days. Until that situation is resolved, I won't ever consider buying another Sony headphone.

Feb 23, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by CamelBackCinema
Build quality is a very low priority in high fidelity sound. Take care of your toys and build quality will be of no importance.

I can't agree with you on this. Headphones move around with your head, they take far more wear and tear than, for example speakers. Built quality is essential.

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #20 of 45
I wonder how Stax warranty is handled... When you import them from Japan, what happens when they break?

Feb 23, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Here is the sad story of one Head-Fi member who sent his headphones back without making arrangements for customs.

Thanks for posting that! Wow, that would be a pain in the ass.

Feb 23, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by 3lusiv3
Almost every Sony product I have ever bought have had problems due to bad build quality. I would never buy a Sony product if there is a similar option of another brand.

Actually going slightly off-topic but where are the CD3Ks assembled? I went for my HD580s mainly because they're made in Ireland and I'd like them to stay here
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
I can't agree with you on this. Headphones move around with your head, they take far more wear and tear than, for example speakers. Built quality is essential.

I really can't imagine (in my own set up) how I could ever damage my headphones or any other part of my system with just regular use. Well... I guess my pads could get worn out if I shook my head constantly causing friction...
rolleyes.gif

In short of falling off my head for some odd reason or me falling asleep and banging against my desk or computer screen, build quality will not matter to me.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by CamelBackCinema
Similar option? CD3000s are very unique... I mean, I've tried Etys and I have tried HD580s (close to 600s w/ stock) and they are a different sound all together.

That's why I said similar option. I didn't mean to diss your CD3000's just because they are Sony. I just wanted to state the fact that I, personally, have had bad experiences with Sony products in the past which had made me very wary of choosing any Sony products. High end Sony products seem to be a bit different/better in build quality to the lower end Sony products. Same goes for their professional products.

Feb 23, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by 3lusiv3
That's why I said similar option. I didn't mean to diss your CD3000's just because they are Sony. I just wanted to state the fact that I, personally, have had bad experiences with Sony products in the past which had made me very wary of choosing any Sony products. High end Sony products seem to be a bit different/better in build quality to the lower end Sony products. Same goes for their professional products.

Sorry 3lusiv, I wasn't saying you were dissing the CD3K, clearly you were talking about other Sony products and not specifically the headphones. I guess I've had a bit more luck than you.

This thread was about the two headphones and I thought you were talking about them.

Well have a good morning everyone! Nothing like popping a few posts before breakfast

Feb 23, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #28 of 45
Thanks to all that have posted in this thread, I really value your opinions and insides of both heaphones. Im still thinking on both, I cant decide yet, both seem to be very good heaphones for the money. Damn this hobby is great but also is hell =).

One thing that I read that I wanted to ask was about his comment,

Quote:

With the right amp, I really do think CD3000 can contend with any headphone in its price range... I have heard great things about both headphones, and I was even considering the A900, but I did find a nice deal on my cans...

I thought that since the CD3000 were so efficent not much can be gained with an amp, maybe change the coloration of the sound, but I dont know if they sound so different as being unamped. Can you please elaborate a little more. I dont want to change the nature of the CD3000, because of its accuracy, soundstage, and being so upfront, that are some of the caracteristics that I value a lot from this heaphone.

Thanks again to everybody who has participated on this thread, I really appriciate your time and suggestion,
Pablo Abularach

Feb 23, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #29 of 45
I personally own the Perreaux SXH-1 which is a class A ss amp. When i got my headphones, my ICs did not come in yet so I could not hook them up to the amplifier. After a week or so, they came in and I listened to the amp.

From what I am hearing, the sound has become less harsh and sharp while becoming more separated and clear! All the things that you want: accuracy, soundstage, and position-- will actually improve! I didn't notice any new sounds or noises. Same nuetral EQ settings and same songs that I listen to over and over. It was pure bliss. In retrospect, amps can go upwards from 50 to infinity. In this world, you pay for what you get most of the time. Amps are truly a great investment. (I was skeptical at first trust me)

There are amps that can change the sonic nature of the CD3000s but the honest truth is that these headphones will be greatly improved with an amp. More so than most headphones even. CD3Ks are generally more versatile than other headphones.

Have a great Week!

Feb 23, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
I gotta say as a non-gamer, I can't imagine any of these issues to be that important for primarily gaming, and certainly would guess the CD3000s would be overkill and the differences between them and the A900s would shrink greatly for that use. Keep in mind the audio compression used for most games. Not downplaying gaming, but downplaying the importance of $400 headphones for it.

I agree. If your primary importance is gaming, don't waste your money on either of these phones. Do a search for best gaming headphones and find something that is more affordable (under $100).

I've said it once before... Expensive headphones are not going to magically make you pwn in CS. If you don't have one already, buy an Audigy2 and a cheaper set of cans and be done with it.

Please don't kill your wallet on a pair of CD3k's for VIDEO GAMES. I understand you would use them for music too, but from the sounds of it, music isn't your main concern. Purchasing audiophile cans to play games and occasionally listening to music (hopefully not 128 bitrate MP3s) seems WAY over the top.

Totally unnecessary. Find a better solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back