AudioSource Amp 100 stereo integrated amp
Feb 3, 2008 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
I was shopping around today looking for a stereo integrated amp to power the Best Buy Insignia speakers, and saw the AudioSource Amp 100 at Fry's for $150. Does anyone have any experiences with this amp?

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 27
That looks intriguing. I've been looking for a small integrated amp to use instead of a reciever for powering my bookshelves from my E-MU 1212m. I've been bouncing back and fourth between that and just buying some active monitors.

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 27
what is the difference between class D/T and class A/B, infinitesymphony?

i've read that the dayton is a clone of the emotiva with slight differences. what are these differences and, more importantly, will i be able to tell with the same speakers?

edit: found the differences here.

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 27
is this the same amp 100 B and H photo has for $80? for that price you can get two and monoblock them.
AudioSource | AMP100 - Stereo Power Amplifier with A/B | AMP100
I don't know about their x00 series but I have their audiosource amp three
very satisfied for the $169 I've paid for it. (I bought two)
excellent customer service, too. even though it's just one guy answering the phones.

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the difference between class D/T and class A/B, infinitesymphony?

Class D amps use digital methods for amplification, which are extremely efficient. Class T amps are really class D amps, but they use a particular brand of digital chip--a Tripath.

Class AB is the traditional push-pull method of amplification used in most amplifiers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and what about jolida tube amps?

will the insignia's reveal the difference between SS and tube? i know i can hear the difference, but on speakers that cost about 1000x more! (not mine, obviously)

The differences you hear may not only be attributable to the tubes, but also the general quality of the amp's circuit and components.

I'd tend to go with solid-state with the Insignias, since they're somewhat muffled and dark by default.

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 27
I had some fo those amps in the past and they are very good performers and very good amps, amp two is a killer amp, specially very sturdy and reliable, with real muscle to power anything, but IIRC this is a power amp rather than an integrated, even while they have volume, you may need a preamp for it...I always used mine with preamps...

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 27
If you are on a tight budget, you can look at some of the pro amps, from the likes of Behringer, Crown, etc. Their pro amps represent very good bang for the buck values. The only thing is, many of them use active cooling, meaning they have cooling fans, so keep them some distance away from your speakers and you will be fine.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had some fo those amps in the past and they are very good performers and very good amps, amp two is a killer amp, specially very sturdy and reliable, with real muscle to power anything, but IIRC this is a power amp rather than an integrated, even while they have volume, you may need a preamp for it...I always used mine with preamps...

Mainly out of ignorance, why would a preamp be needed? I was under the impression that all integrated amps are simply power amps with volume controls, and that preamps are only needed with like, phono inputs and the such.

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mainly out of ignorance, why would a preamp be needed? I was under the impression that all integrated amps are simply power amps with volume controls, and that preamps are only needed with like, phono inputs and the such.

Not really, there are other electronics involved on a preamp, sometimes there is one stage of amplification inside (voltage gain) that otherwise is completelly bypassed, even while there are passive preamps that mainly are just that volume controls, a preamp is more than a volume control alone, also preamps have a tone network inlcuded to tune the sound, if you do not needed, there is not much of use for it, and multiple sources, that may or not be anadvantage...

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 27
If I am not mistaken Audio Source is a more affordable of the Bob Carver designed gear, which in every case I have heard Carver made damn fine products especially their amps.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 27
The Pioneer Elite A-35R also seems like a good choice, but it is also twice the price. Is it worth it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a review on Audiogon.

I'd look at other amps for the money...

Class D/T
AV123 X-19
Sonic Impact T-Amp, T-Amp 2, Super T-Amp
Trends TA10

Class AB
Emotiva BPA-1/Dayton APA150
Pioneer Elite A-35R

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pioneer Elite A-35R also seems like a good choice, but it is also twice the price. Is it worth it?

I own an A-35R, and it was a big step up from a budget AV receiver I'd been using. It should have no problem driving easy speakers like the Insignias, given its 45 wpc @ 8 ohm rating. It sounds fairly neutral, with a hint of warmth. The built-in headphone amp is pretty good, and it also has a built-in phono preamp for connecting a turntable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back