Audioslave- Out of Exile
May 27, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 40
I just picked this album up, along with a few others, for the ride up to the cabin. I'm excited to hear what they've been up to, and i'll swing around come monday/tuesday and drop how i feel about things. For the record, i'm a huge fan of ratm, but enjoyed audioslave's first disc almost as much as any ratm album.

May 27, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
the strongest element of Soundgarden was added (an otherwise weak band, IMO).

Pretty harsh to dismiss Matt Cameron's drumming like that.

Bryan

May 28, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #18 of 40
just got it and love it. Wasnt to impressed by the single (name?) but the rest of the album seems like a development of the first. Glad they didnt just sell out now there are a bit more popular
smily_headphones1.gif

Favourite song anyone?

May 28, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Have it on order, can't wait. Always makes me laugh at Audioslave detractors, who wish RATM would come back. The weakest element of that band (Zach) was eliminated and the strongest element of Soundgarden was added (an otherwise weak band, IMO). Yeah, they aren't political, but unless you're still a college sophomore, pseudo-marxist "true-believer"-- so what? It's a grown-up band dealing with grown-up issues. Deal with it.
orphsmile.gif

And where is Zach? Can't get a record deal? Drugs?

Zach weakest element of the band, UH?
Chris Cornell is a better singer, I agree, but Zach was the engine (so much anger in the "monk burning", it's his anger, the lyrics and the innovative guitar playing of Tom that made that album so powerful and unique).
Audioslave is a grown-up band dealing with the most widespread grown-up issue: boredom.

May 28, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #20 of 40
Chris Cornel is NOT a better singer... for one, thier style is completely different. But in any case, what is truely missing from Audioslave is passion... that is what Zack brought to the table.
wink.gif

May 28, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #22 of 40
Can someone explain to me this whole situation, I always fall into the trap of listenning to the music and not what is happening with the band... wait thats a good thing, in a way.

But I want the goss!
wink.gif

Have rage folded
frown.gif

cheers
Jake

May 28, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

And where is Zach? Can't get a record deal? Drugs?

I think that I last heard he was going to South America to help out with some revolution.

And as for record deals, he is supposed to be "polishing up" his stuff with DJ Shadow before its release, but has been doing this ever since it was made.

But I might be totally wrong. I can’t even remember where I heard this.

May 28, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
And as for record deals, he is supposed to be "polishing up" his stuff with DJ Shadow before its release, but has been doing this ever since it was made.

That is good news... I love the idea of them working together. Two of my favourite musicians. Great stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker
Can someone explain to me this whole situation, I always fall into the trap of listenning to the music and not what is happening with the band... wait thats a good thing, in a way.

But I want the goss!
wink.gif

Have rage folded
frown.gif

cheers
Jake

from my limited knowledge, Rage Against The Machine lost de la Rocha but decided not to disband and instead find a new frontman

Chris Cornell had been out of the disbanded Soundgarden for some time ( not sure of the specifics of the disband ) and hooked up secretly w/ Rage Against the machine sans Rocha, which was a rocky start but eventually worked out

May 28, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Chris Cornel is NOT a better singer... for one, thier style is completely different. But in any case, what is truely missing from Audioslave is passion... that is what Zack brought to the table.
wink.gif

Chris Cornell is a singer, Zack is a screamer, and he stunk at that, anyway. No range, everything sounded exactly the same. A career of "Killing In The Name" on permanent loop makes Chris Cornell the winner by default.

I do however agree that Chris sounds awful bored ever since Soundgarden disbanded.

May 29, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
from my limited knowledge, Rage Against The Machine lost de la Rocha but decided not to disband and instead find a new frontman

Chris Cornell had been out of the disbanded Soundgarden for some time ( not sure of the specifics of the disband ) and hooked up secretly w/ Rage Against the machine sans Rocha, which was a rocky start but eventually worked out

Thanks for the info naga... sounds more like a soapy than a true story hey
tongue.gif

Cheers
Jake

May 29, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Chris Cornell is a singer, Zack is a screamer, and he stunk at that, anyway. No range, everything sounded exactly the same.

I think this is just a matter of preference. I agree that Zack likes to wail, but that is about all that we agree about. Chris Cornell sounds horrible to my ears. Zack does not have the best sounding voice or the best technique, but he does have passion and that brings excitement to the music.

Jun 2, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrhawk
I just picked this album up, along with a few others, for the ride up to the cabin. I'm excited to hear what they've been up to, and i'll swing around come monday/tuesday and drop how i feel about things. For the record, i'm a huge fan of ratm, but enjoyed audioslave's first disc almost as much as any ratm album.

Well, i've unfortunately listened to the disc since last week - what a painful experience. Going into it, i was really hoping to like it, despite what some have said, but after a track or two i wanted to just throw it out the window (was riding in a car). Chris sounds way too comfortable. His lyrics are about crap that no one cares about, and as such, we've gone from hard-rocking songs that are fun to listen to and encourage you to get a little excited to this cop out of chorus "To be yourself is all that you can do." I was infuriated when i heard him sing those words. To me, i was listening to a happily married, financially secure, middle-aged man roll off shoe-gazing lyrics to the tune of a very characteristically hard band, now sated by wealth and misled by an unmotivated and uninspired frontman. I'm really almost ashamed to have liked them, seeing them dwindle down like this.

One of my favorite things about audioslave was chris' ability to really belt in a tuneful manner. It not only allow for meaningful expression, but also made room for and complimented the rage-trio's harder sound. On their latest disc, chris doesn't sound like he's working his voice until track 7, and even then he immediately backs off. Either he was looking at pictures of puppies while he wrote and recorded this album, or he just turn ratm, one of the most hard-rocking bands of my time, into a wuss-rock power combo.

Thank you Mr. Cornell, for ruining rage. Where's zach when you need him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back