AudioQuest Nighthawk - AMP+DAC
Oct 21, 2016 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kowaqt

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've recently invested in AudioQuest's Nighthawk headphones (http://www.head-fi.org/products/audioquest-nighthawk-headphones)

Right off the bat it's pretty clear that they need an AMP+DAC to function properly, as my Sennheiser HD598 actually sound better without. 

I'm rather clueless when it comes to AMPs and DACs. I'm going to use my setup at home with my stationary PC, so what I'm looking for is not something portable, but strictly a desktop setup. Also I think it's relevant to state that I'm from Europe, so for instance Schiit's products are far more expensive here and not very accessible, although I'm still open for Schiit suggestions.

I don't have a set in stone budget, but I figure the price should somewhat match the price/quality of the headphones (675$), so they're doing them justice. So I'd say my maximum budget for the AMP+DAC combined is 1000$ - but like I said, it's no means set in stone.

Hope you're able to help me, as I'd very much like to start enjoying my Nighthawk headphones.

Thanks a lot in advance.

//kowaqt

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 4
Impedance 25 Ω
Efficiency 100.0 dB SPL/mW

They are easy to drive, you don't need an amp. They have an odd and colored signature, maybe that's why you don't like them.

I would listen to them exclusively for a couple of weeks and see if I can appreciate the sound. If you fall in love, invest in a good setup.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 4

I have tried them for a few days with my now broke Fiio E07K and to me, it seemed like there was a pretty significant difference in sound quality. Maybe I don't need an amp, but just a DAC - do you think that could be the issue? 

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 4
I mean, almost any headphone sound better with a good dac and amp. No matter the price, but the sound signature doesn't change, and I tought that's why you didn't like them. Comming from the hd598 it makes sense.

You don't have to spend 1.000$, the Audio-GD NFB-11 is a great amp/dac combo for the price. The Aune X1s has a really clean signal and it costs 250€. Aune also sells the S16 and the X5s+X7s if you are going to spend ~600€.
Check Schiit-EU or Schiit Europe if you live in the Netherlands. A Schiit Modi/Modi Multibit and Magni/Jot are fantastic setups.
SMSL has the M8 wich is a great DAC for 250€.

The Chord Mojo is a bit overpriced, because Chord is a premium brand, but you wil not regret buying it and you can use it with your phone or DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back