AudioQuest Niagara Thread
Mar 21, 2021 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Stereolab42

500+ Head-Fier
https://www.audioquest.com/Niagara

I believe this whole product line has been updated in the past few years, and I didn't see another thread on it, so here goes. I just picked up the Niagara 3000, which seems to be the sweet-spot. Other models are the lower-end 1200, and the nosebleed 5000 and 7000. (I think the 5000 and 7000 require special 20-amp wiring?)

20210320_190013.jpg

The face is really sexy, made in some sort of black metallic mirror-finish. Sides and back of the unit is industrial but built like a fortress, and the whole thing weighs a ton. The point of this unit is to act as an endgame surge protector and to cleanup your power. Nobody sane would argue that a great surge protector isn't a necessity behind expensive audio components. AudioQuest claims your circuit panel will vaporize before any surge the Niagara can't handle makes it through. They also take pains to detail how the protection is "non-sacrificial". I, for one, like to hear that $3000 boxes of electronics are "non-sacrificial", so put this in the plus category.

There's a lot more disagreement over how audible "conditioning" is. I don't claim to notice any audible improvements but YMMV.

I also considered the PS Audio line of power regenerators at similar price points. While they may do better at filtering certain types of noise, they aren't as good at some others (see the whitepaper below), and they have other serious downsides. Since they are going from AC to DC back to AC, there is a lot of power wasted and heat generated, and they need fans. Whereas conditioners like the Niagaras run cool and quiet.

AudioQuest is very open about the technology used in these conditioners, courtesy of one of their top engineers, Garth Powell. If you're curious checkout this whitepaper:

https://www.audioquest.com/resource/1138/Power-Demystified-whitepaper-8-23-18.pdf

One of several videos of Garth Powell discussing and dissecting the unit:

It goes without saying AudioQuest recommends you use their power cords into and out of the unit. I already had a good collection of NRG cords and continue to use them from the unit to my components (aside from the odd SMPS wart for devices that give me no choice). From the Niagara to the wall outlet I bought a 1m Monsoon cable. This thing is hilariously thick and inflexible; I had to screw a hook into the back of my desk just to hold up the weight. They also recommend upgrading the wall outlet to one of the NRG Edisons that they sell, but I didn't go that far.

20210321_145714.jpg

Aside from that I'm completely happy with the system. It looks great, is built well, turns on and off without trouble, runs cool, and at least doesn't make anything sound worse. Is it complete overkill? Probably. But I'm in the camp that says if your whole system costs X, you should spend some moderate but not embarrassing percentage of X on accessories -- cables, power, and so on. At least everything is prettier, even if it doesn't actually make your airs airier and your lows lowlier.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Had the Niagara 1200 for demo. Bothered me a bit that you have those fixed spots for high current and low current devices which makes it very hard if you want to add some things.

Besides from that i find power conditioners extremely notable in the sound and personally i'm not a fan of it. Overall everything sounded more detailed and better seperated but also way darker and lacking dynamics.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Had the Niagara 1200 for demo. Bothered me a bit that you have those fixed spots for high current and low current devices which makes it very hard if you want to add some things.

Besides from that i find power conditioners extremely notable in the sound and personally i'm not a fan of it. Overall everything sounded more detailed and better seperated but also way darker and lacking dynamics.
The manual makes it clear that you don't necessarily have to plug all "high-current" devices into those slots, at least in the 3000, since the other slots are also very capable of providing peak power. For headphone amps I'm sure it doesn't matter anyways since they consume only a fraction of the power of 2-channel amps (except for tube amps like the WA5, but since those are effectively class A they have constant demand and don't really "peak"). The higher-end Niagara models have more outlets and if I had a big-money 2-channel system that's what I'd go for instead.

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 6
I picked up a 1200 and Tornado.
I used it briefly with my Feliks Euforia and noticed my cans had more notable sub bass.

Other than that I’m not too sure I can claim I hear a big difference but it sure does look cool. (Awful, I know)

I recently switched to a XI Broadway which shouldn’t be affected by conditioning since it’s battery operated so I can’t comment on improvements there.

I’m using JPS Labs Superconductor V XLRs and Digital X PC. What I noticed with the upgraded power cable to my DAC was that I found myself raising the volume a bit more.

I’d guess that you’d hear a bigger difference with OTLs and amps in general?
The DAC part I’m not so sure about.

I’ll eventually plug straight to the wall with stock PCs and see what’s the difference.
8C296542-EE55-481F-AA14-5E2A87CF0388.jpeg
326728B3-AFB2-4967-AB17-5914FC0BCDA8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back