Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 question and observations
Dec 1, 2015 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

vai-777

100+ Head-Fier
Just got this today and paired it with my AKG Q701 running out of a fairly decent Toshiba laptop. It is definitely an improvement over plugging straight into the headphone jack, no question about it. Better bass extension, little more midrange.... still retains the highs nicely, can't really ask for anything else at that price.

Now... the question... I'm running Foobar / WASAPI, BTW. I tried it with my OLD (2001?) Sennheiser HD600 and it seems to do very little for it. The volume is about the same whether straight from the jack or into the Dragonfly, where as the volume increased significantly with the AKG Q701 when plugged into the Dragonfly. I understand the Q701 is 62ohms and the HD600 is 300ohms but shouldn't it stand to reason it would still be a little louder out of the Dragonfly regardless?

AND THE KICKER.... I also have a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohms and the volume through the Dragonfly is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than through the headphone jack on my comp. That really shocked me. Is the comp really putting out that much more power through the headphone jack?

I simply can't figure out why the Dragonfly would be lower volume with the Senns and Beyers than my headphone jack on a relatively cheap Toshiba (+- $300).

Anyone care to shed some light here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back