Audiophoolery
May 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

OICWUTUDIDTHAR

Aka: DroppingDimes; trapper1, OGKoosh, kappachino, Yajirobe1
Rude and abusive

Opinions on this?

May 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 29
Is there really much to say? It seems to be an old posting as well.

The guy's a bit hyper and rambles too much, the camera is a bit close, and there are way too many editing cuts (and wow, it was still that long).

There wasn't much content, but it's obviously nothing new and nothing much controversial or worth discussing either. It's not really contributing anything. Yes, the claims out there are often pretty outrageous and never really seem to be backed up by any real data. That's how it goes.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:
Probably not the best approach to refuting false audio claims.  One extremist criticizing another never works well.

Jaddie, other than things like soundstage which you kindly explained in great depth, are there any other very 'perceptible' differences people in hear in head gear that isn't really there or is a byproduct of the recording process or the frequency response? Things that are audiophooleric (new word?!) in nature?

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 29
"Warmth".

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:
"Warmth".

'warmth' is pretty much a rolled off treble is it not?

xnor in your opinion what provides the illusion of a larger soundstage, boosted mids or treble heavy head gear?

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 29
Larger soundstages involve DSPs. Mids and trebles are EQ issues.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
Larger soundstages involve DSPs. Mids and trebles are EQ issues.

I mean, if you had an IEM with a treble boosted one vs a mid centric model. Which one would give an illusion of a larger soundstage. I know that there is no difference in soundstage, but an illusionary impression.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
I mean, if you had an IEM with a treble boosted one vs a mid centric model. Which one would give an illusion of a larger soundstage. I know that there is no difference in soundstage, but an illusionary impression.

Is the soundstage and anything else involved with "location" a phase issue? Passive filters tend to muck with the phase of a single in addition to fequency response, so of course it's possible that two different drivers that have significant differences in frequency response also have different phase characteristics.

Cheers

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 29

Is the soundstage and anything else involved with "location" a phase issue? 

Yes, phase is an issue, but it's a question of application.  Just having phase shift somewhere doesn't necessarily change anything at all.  Another deep subject you've chosen.

Quote:
Passive filters tend to muck with the phase of a single in addition to fequency response, so of course it's possible that two different drivers that have significant differences in frequency response also have different phase characteristics.

Ugh.  All filters, active, passive, and digital, affect phase response to some extent.  The fact that they're active, passive or digital isn't what determines their characteristics alone, it's topology.  A 6dB/Octave low pass realized actively (which is pointless, by the way), passively, or digitally will all have the same response characteristics.  A 7th-order Chebyshev low pass filter is pretty much impractical to build passively, but possible, it can be realized actively, or digitally, and all will have the same response characteristics.  However, you can't really build a FIR filter passively or actively.  The fact that phase response changes with frequency response isn't a bad thing anyway.   It happens naturally in acoustics too.   Phase optimized filters can be built an any topology too, and you can also add phase compensation. 

Filters don't affect soundstage unless they are not identical in both stereo channels.

Correct in general when you say two different drivers can be different in frequency and phase response, but so what?  It's not THAT they are different, it's HOW they are different.  Question of degree, once again.  Most times they are close enough.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 29
His voice? No, not at all. I find Australian voices rather interesting. But I'm an American, go figure.

I actually enjoyed that video. I think he's got a lot of good points. I am quite sure the law of diminishing returns applies. I'd never spend money for a Blue Jeans cable. It just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

On the other hand, I recently bought a Monoprice cable to hook up my Magni+Modi. The RCA connectors were so damn tight, I was afraid I was going to break something. Kudo's to the Schiit gear for not breaking. But I'll never buy another Monoprice RCA cable. Maybe I should have bought the Pyst cable after all
wink_face.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:
His voice? No, not at all. I find Australian voices rather interesting. But I'm an American, go figure.

I actually enjoyed that video. I think he's got a lot of good points. I am quite sure the law of diminishing returns applies. I'd never spend money for a Blue Jeans cable. It just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

On the other hand, I recently bought a Monoprice cable to hook up my Magni+Modi. The RCA connectors were so damn tight, I was afraid I was going to break something. Kudo's to the Schiit gear for not breaking. But I'll never buy another Monoprice RCA cable. Maybe I should have bought the Pyst cable after all
wink_face.gif

I'm Australian so maybe that's why...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back