Audiophonics PCM5102 battery-powered 32-bit, 384kHz DAC with XMOS USB, Coaxial, and Toslink Inputs
Jan 28, 2016 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25
I've been researching DAC chips lately and decided to start looking for a "transportable" PCM5102 USB DAC - which means I don't intend to carry it in my jacket pocket, but I want it to be battery-powered for the low noise benefits that come with staying off the mains.

But I'm most interested in a PCM5102 implementation because of a consensus indicating that the PCM5102 bumps up the bass energy (it's not neutral), with warmish mids and an overall "analog" character, but without the (somewhat) compressed dynamics, laid back staging, rolled-off highs and reduced resolution of Wolfson DACs.  

Sparing you the several options I considered, it was price as much as the size and apparent quality of construction, as well as a suspiciously glowing review published by Quboz, that has led to my having just ordered one of these for myself.

I've not yet heard this Audiophonics implementation of the PCM5102, but I think it holds the promise of being a great DAC for warming up bright headphones without going too far in that direction and without compromising detail and transparency otherwise.  

And then there's the amazing price!

Audiophonics PCM5102

Photos and info from:  http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/appareils-hifi-dac/dac-pcm5102-on-battery-32bit-384khz-interface-xmos-usb-optical-coaxial-p-9314.html

Read this Quboz reviewhttp://www.qobuz.com/ie-en/info/hi-fi-guide/audiophonics-pcm5102-dac-qobuzism176822

It has an XMOS USB receiver, in addition to Coaxial and Toslink inputs.  

It is battery-powered and accepts 9V DC external power.  

It only measures 137 x 114 x 31 mm - which is fine for "transportable" use.

And it supports PCM up to 384kHZ

Prices could change at any moment, especially with currency exchange fluctuations, but...

I paid EUR 115.83 + EUR 22.08 shipping = EUR 137.91

The USD isn't as strong as the EUR:   1.00 USD = 0.89282824628 EUR  (at the time of the transaction - according to PayPal)

But I still paid only US $129.74 for the DAC itself.  

Shipping was another US $24.73.   Gladly!   

The cost for the DAC + shipping was:  US $154.47   <--- My actual cost via PayPal.  Amazing!  

I can't wait to hear this thing.

I'll post my impressions when it has arrived. I've allowed it to burn in and listened to it for a couple of weeks.

Update:  Google-translated specs...

Characteristics :
  1. 32bit 384kHz PCM5102 converter
  2. SPDIF receiver WM8805
  3. XMOS USB interface
  4. SNR: 112dB
  5. Output voltage: 2.1Vrms
  6. Toslink optical digital input
  7. SPDIF coaxial digital input
  8. USB digital input Type B
  9. RCA stereo analog output
  10. Source Selection: Optical / Coaxial
  11. On / Off Switch
  12. LED
  13. Aluminium chassis
  14. Dimensions: 137x114x31mm
  15. Weight: 510g
  16. supplied AC power (8.4V 1A) over the center (note the polarity when using adjustable transformers).
  17. Product delivered naked

Mike

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 25
It has arrived - from France to Texas in six days.  I will post pics this weekend, if not sooner.

UPDATE:  OK, how about this weekend (instead of last)!  

I've been listening to the Audiophonics PCM5102 almost exclusively for ten days, now.  My initial impressions, never posted, have been overridden as the DAC has matured with burn-in. 

I'm still not ready to reveal my sonic impressions, but I will say that it's a very solid little unit and my only complaint regarding its design is the lack of any charge indicator.  (Update: See my next post, below.)

There's nothing to tell you whether it is in need of charging, currently charging, or fully charged.  You just have to blindly plug in a 9V to 12V DC power supply, every once in a while, for an overnight charge and hope you're getting the job done.  

And by the way, it doesn't ship with a manual, and there's no PDF available for download.  No cables either.  Just the DAC, in exceptionally well-padded, double-boxed packaging.

Being that I'm a nut job when it comes to battery care, I've come up with this little solution for measuring the voltage of the DAC's battery, which I can't believe I hadn't crafted sooner for other uses:

No soldering required:

$6.00 for 5 pairs of the CCTV 2.1mm solderless jacks and plugs:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011YKCK5M

$9.99 for the DROK Micro Voltmeter:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JOB793W

I cut the wire leads down to about 2/3 of their original length, then stripped the insulation back and used the 1/3-length sections to parallel-wire the jack and the plug.

This allows me three possible uses:

1) I can stick the voltmeter's male plug into the DAC to measure the current voltage of the LiPo battery when turned off.  

2) I can plug my power supply into the voltmeter's female plug to measure what's coming from it.

3) I can even do both at the same time, but this gives me an intermediate voltage that doesn't really tell me much.

As shown in the pictures of my first post, the DAC has a two-cell LiPo battery that should theoretically measure 8.4V when fully charged and no less than 6.0 volt when fully discharged, holding at about 7.4V throughout the majority of its discharge cycle.

This little voltmeter makes a nice substitute for the charge LED they should have included in the design.

More later...

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 25
Regarding "my only complaint," as mentioned above...

The 7.4V, 1500mAh internal LiPo Li-Ion battery is intended to be used only as a buffer to eliminate noise from an external power supply (especially switch-mode power supplies, which are noisier than linear supplies).  

An external power supply should be connected to the DAC at all times - ostensibly, to avoid draining the 1500mAh internal LiPo Li-Ion battery.

Thus:  There is no need for a charge indicator, when the product is used as intended.

I Google Translated the Description section of Audiophonics PCM5102 page and noticed this:

Its special feature: the circuit is powered by an integrated 7.4V 1.5A battery that has the effect of avoiding the parasites associated with food. 
The switching power supply for charging the battery only.
The battery here is a buffer to power "properly" the conversion circuit, it is necessary that the product is connected to a normal use supply.

LOL

Here it is in French (original text)

Sa particularité : le circuit est alimenté par une batterie intégrée 7.4V 1.5A qui a pour effet d'éviter les parasites liées à l'alimentation. 
L'alimentation à découpage servant à charger la batterie uniquement.

La batterie fait ici office de tampon pour alimenter "proprement" le circuit de conversion, il est nécessaire que le produit soit raccordé à une alimentation en usage normal.

Here's my interpretation:

The conversion circuit has a special feature:  It is powered by an integrated 7.4V 1.5Ah battery that has the effect of eliminating the parasitics (noise) associated with an (external) supply. A switching power supply only keeps the battery charged, it does not directly power the DAC.
The battery, therefore, acts as a buffer to "properly" power the conversion circuit, but it is necessary for the DAC to remain connected to an external power supply during normal use.

John Kenney, creator of the battery-equipped Ciúnas DAC, advocates the same approach to noise reduction in his DAC design:

Quoting  http://www.johnkenny.biz/ciunas-dac

The battery is charged via an internal charger  powered from an external 5V supply. A USB charger cable is supplied which allows charging from a spare USB port or alternatively an external 5V PS can be used. The quality of this PS is immaterial as the device uses a battery shunt configuration & is continuously trickle charged. The battery has a lifetime of 20 years when operated in this manner.

For lack of information about the charging circuit of the Audiophonics PCM5102 (does it even have a charge controller?), we can't assume that it will apply only a "trickle charge" to its battery, when powered by a 9V external supply. 

In fact, I have already found evidence that the DAC will allow the internal battery to rise to voltages higher than its nominal rating of 7.4V - all the way up to 8.4V - which is the maximum voltage a two-cell LiPo Li-Ion battery can achieve. With sufficient time on an external 9V supply, I can test the voltage of the DAC's battery, just by plugging my little voltmeter into the DAC's power input jack - and voilà, I measure 8.4V.  Ooops!  That's not good.

If you keep a LiPo battery at its maximum voltage at all times, it will require replacement far sooner than it would if you maintained it at 3.7V per cell (7.4V for a two-cell battery).  

So, where previously, I was disappointed that this DAC does not have a state-of-charge LED, I am now disappointed that it does not have an internal voltage regulator between the power supply input jack and the LiPo Li-Ion battery, to hold the incoming voltage to 7.4V - which would allow the battery to last 20 years, as John Kenney has predicted for the "trickle charged" battery in his Ciúnas DAC.

So...  being that I'm a battery kook, I now find myself wanting to protect the Audiophonic PCM5102's internal battery by inserting an external voltage regulator between the DAC and my external power supply. It's either that or find a 7.4V power supply.   <----  This is the best solution, in my opinion.

Hmmm...

To be fair, their web page basically says that the external power supply should be attached during normal use, so one could argue that they are not saying the power supply should remain attached at all times - which would definitely cook the battery.  However, they fail to tell us to unplug the power supply when the DAC is not in use.  Ugggh!

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 25
Here are some switchmode power supplies that can deliver 7.5V DC to the Audiophonics PCM5102 internal LiPo Li-Ion battery (to avoid taking it to higher voltages) and which are stated to be equipped with 2.1mm power plugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Adapter-2-1mm-Regulated-Supply/dp/B006QYXFRO    (I have ordered this supply, because it's regulated. The other, non-regulated switchmode supplies listed here will not vary by much, but who knows where else I might want to use this, in the future.)

http://www.amazon.com/Accessory-USA-1000mA-Adapter-Supply/dp/B00W53V6U8

---

Here are some switchmode power supplies that can deliver 7.5V DC which appear to be equipped with 2.1mm power plugs (not stated in the description):

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-I-T-E-MU12-2075100-A1-Power-Supply/dp/B0050G3A92

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Supply%C2%AE-Charger-Switches/dp/B00CP7RMGG

http://www.amazon.com/VTech-80-087700-AC-Adaptor-White/dp/B006WBN1FW

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Switching-CN-160CA-CN-Lux1000-CN-Lux1500/dp/B00S984ZGA

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AO78A2I

---

Here are some "universal" switchmode power supplies with user-selectable voltages that include 7.5V and most likely include the very common 2.1mm plug:  

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZTZQ5OQ

http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-PSSMV1USA-3-12Vdc-Switching-Supply/dp/B00068U44I

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Star-Regulated-Universal-Converter/dp/B005IDTH76

http://www.amazon.com/ZOZO-Universal-Regulated-Replacement-Electronic/dp/B015PXUHYA

----

Pictures and sonic impressions are coming soon...   Sure!  LOL

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 25
Pictures!

The "USB" LED comes on as soon as it sees 5V power from your USB source.
The "Power" LED comes on when you turn on the main power switch at rear.

7.5V DC             RCA Line Out                                        USB w 5V DC

The bottom plate drops away easily once the four 15/64-inch Allen head screws are removed.
(Anyone who has owned a Burson Soloist would appreciate this.)

Surprise!   No hot glue can be found anywhere.  They should update their web site photo.

LT1963 is a voltage regulator (3.3V)

PCM5102A converter can be seen near the center of this photo and below.

It's a two-cell Li-Ion battery, not LiPo, as I had previously assumed.

The XMOS PCB is easily removed via one screw and the 10-pin connector.

Underneath the XMOS PCB.

I can't read anything on this IC.

The Wolfson WM8805GEDS is an S/PDIF transceiver.

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 25
More on why they really should either...

1) Include a Li-Ion charge controller inside this DAC and spec the range of voltages that can be supplied to the charger.

Or

2) Tell customers to buy and use a 7.5V DC external power supply (no higher or lower), rated at 1Amp or better, when operating the DAC, ideally disconnecting it when not in use, but leaving it connected would be OK.

Or

3) Ship the DAC with a 7.5V power supply.

This is why you don't want to let this DAC's two-cell Li-Ion battery reach voltages higher than 8.6V (4.3V per cell) and why keeping it at 7.4V (3.7V per cell) is ideal:

Overcharging Lithium-ion

Lithium-ion operates safely within the designated operating voltages; however, the battery becomes unstable if inadvertently charged to a higher than specified voltage. Prolonged charging above 4.30V on a Li-ion designed for 4.20V/cell will plate metallic lithium on the anode. The cathode material becomes an oxidizing agent, loses stability and produces carbon dioxide (CO2). The cell pressure rises and if the charge is allowed to continue, the current interrupt device (CID) responsible for cell safety disconnects at 1000–1,380kPa (145–200psi). Should the pressure rise further, a safety membrane on some Li-ion bursts open at about 3,450kPa (500psi) and the cell might eventually vent with flame.

Venting with flame is connected with elevated temperature. A fully charged battery has a lower thermal runaway temperature, or vents sooner, than one that is empty. For Li-cobalt the threshold is between 130–150ºC (266–302ºF), nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC) 170–180ºC (338–356ºF) and manganese 250ºC (482ºF). Li-phosphate enjoys similar and better temperature stabilities than manganese.

Lithium-ion is not the only battery that poses a safety hazard if overcharged. Lead- and nickel-based batteries are also known to melt down and cause fire if improperly handled. Properly designed charging equipment is paramount for all battery systems and temperature sensing is a reliable watchman.

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

A device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reach low saturation current when full. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing. (See BU-410: Charging at High and Low Temperatures)

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

Not all chargers apply a full toping charge and the battery may not be fully charged when the “ready” signal appears.

Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

Apply some charge to an empty battery before storing (40–50 percent SoC is ideal).

Last updated 2015-11-05

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 25
So... Is everyone chomping at the bit to order one of these, now that I've figured out how to power it?   
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 25
^ That was a bit of sarcasm.  
smile.gif

OK, after 12 days of listening to the following chain, exclusively....

44.1/16 and 96/24 FLAC on microSD cards > Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 > aftermarket USB emulation cable (digital out) > USB input of the Audiophonics PCM5102, with a TeraDak USB-Y cable to supply 5VDC power from an Anker Astro Pro LiPo battery pack and an external 8.4V six-cell AA NiMH battery pack to keep the DAC's internal, two-cell Li-Ion battery charged during use > Line Out > iBasso PB2 portable amp, equipped with 2x Burson V5 Dual discrete op-amps and "dummy" buffers (for maximum transparency), powered by an Energizer XP8000 LiPo pack via an XPAL Willy Cable WI16 inline 16V regulator, balanced out > Toxic Cables Silver Poison > Sennheiser HD800 

I reverted to using this chain, this morning...

44.1/16 and 96/24 FLAC on microSD cards > Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 > aftermarket USB emulation cable (digital out) > USB input of the Oppo HA-2, with an Anker Astro Pro LiPo battery pack to supply 5V to the HA-2 during use > Line Out > iBasso PB2 portable amp, equipped with 2x Burson V5 Dual discrete op-amps and "dummy" buffers (for maximum transparency), powered by an Energizer XP8000 LiPo pack via an XPAL Willy Cable WI16 inline 16V regulator, balanced out > Toxic Cables Silver Poison > Sennheiser HD800 

I always find switching back to previous component after a lot of listening to be very revealing - sometimes even surprising. In this case, it has only helped me to cement my conclusions without altering them.

The ES9018K2M implementation in the Oppo HA-2 is a superb match, for my tastes, when used with my favorite, "transportable" amp for the HD800 - the iBasso PB2 with Burson V5 Dual discrete op-amps. The Oppo HA-2's DAC is extremely neutral and transparent and less grainy by far than my Oppo HA-1's ESS9018 DAC on USB input (which I suspect is due to the HA-1's USB receiver being sensitive to power noise).  

My Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII NOS DAC has that analog quality that works wonders at taming the brittle edginess heard with the HD800 when it is used with amps that employ a lot of negative feedback (i.e. the Oppo HA-1's amp - which is excellent for just about any headphone other than the HD800), but when using zero-feedback amps (i.e. Metrum Acoustics Aurix) or, at least, low-feedback amps (i.e. NuForce HA200 and iBasso PB2), the absence of oversampling offered by a NOS DAC isn't as justifiable if the mission is to have very low distortion at higher energy levels as well as at low energy levels.

Ironically, the zero-feedback design of the Metrum Aurix, does not generate any of the low-energy distortions that are commonly artifacts of high-feedback amps (HA-1), but this lack of low-energy distortion (Aurix) - which is so precious for digging out the micro-details that can greatly enhance sound stage, imaging, and naturalness of timbre in both voices and instruments - can't be appreciated in combination with the higher-energy distortion of an NOS DAC (Octave MkII). In other words, my most expensive DAC and amp make a s somewhat self-defeating combination - at least when used to drive the excruciatingly resolving HD800, not so for "duller" headphones -  as the NOS design of the Octave MkII DAC generates enough high energy distortion to obscure the wonderful lack of low-energy distortion delivered by the zero-feedback Aurix. Together, they are really good for the HD800, but not ideal, in that the NOS DAC is robbing some detail from the higher energy signals that could otherwise pass unharmed through the 0 dB gain, zero-feedback Aurix - which, in 0 dB mode, acts as nothing more than a passive pre-amp, matching impedance and providing an attenuation control, to drive the headphones with only the voltage output of the DAC (more than enough).

Fear not - I'm about to describe the sound of the Audiophonics PCM5102.  
biggrin.gif
  I just wanted to orient readers to my preferences.

As stated in my first post, I ordered this PCM5102 implementaton in hopes of "bumping up the bass energy, with warmish mids and an overall "analog" character, but without the (somewhat) compressed dynamics, laid back staging, rolled-off highs and reduced resolution of Wolfson DACs.

This reveals that I'm not entirely satisfied with a perfectly neutral source, DAC, amp, and headphone.  I'm not a bass head, and I realize that in the real world, it's rare to find acoustic instruments that can generate the kind of bass we've all been conditioned to enjoy/tolerate with most recorded and reproduced music, but I would love to tilt the frequency response curve just a little bit clockwise, without using any kind of EQ. (I've never heard a parametric equalizer that doesn't degrade fine details, at least a little bit.  I realize that studios use hardware and software equalizers liberally, but I can't afford nor do I want to carry with me an EQ of that quality, especially if it involves using a laptop.)   

Here you go...  

The Audiophonics PCM5102 is most definitely a bass-lover's DAC, but with finesse - not at all clumsy or uncontrolled - and unlike the iBasso DB2 Boomslang dual Wolfson DAC, there is only the slightest roll-off of treble energy relative to the Oppo HA-2's ES9018K2M (which is just a tiny bit too-bright for my tastes, with the HD800 - as is the HA-1's ESS9018 DAC implementation, even when fed coaxially to avoid the grain of its USB receiver.)  The Wolfson DACs are known for adding warmth, but in my opinion, they not only suffer excessive roll-off in the highs, they have poor dynamics. Here again, the Audiophonics PCM5102 is not in the same camp as the Wolfson, despite adding a lot of warmth to mids, coloring them, frankly - this DAC is not neutral, but that's what I was seeking, right?  

Instead of being somewhat "lifeless" or "compressed," as is the case with typical Wolfson DAC implementations, the Audiophonics PCM5102 has punch and slam galore. For some tracks, it's almost too much for the HD800, and would probably be too much, at least for my tastes, with something like the 600-Ohm Beyerdyanmics DT880.  We're talking hard drum hits, here, with lots of impact - and it goes right down into the lower frequencies. The mids are not quite as forward as the bass and treble, but I'm not just talking about frequency response - I'm referring to dynamics as well. There's an overall "hotness" to recordings that sound more tame, and actually, more natural, with the HA-2's ES9018K2M implementation.  

The Audiophonics PCM5102 is only slightly less resolving than the HA-2 in the same chain, but this is a DAC that sounds best to my ears when I turn down the volume to levels that are slightly lower than where I normally find myself listening.  When I take the volume down to where the PCM5102 sounds utterly wonderful, in terms of frequency response and dynamics, the lowest energy micro-details of my best recordings are no longer discernible, even though they are still commuted by the DAC, as can be heard when I increase the SPL. I find myself actually riding the volume control with this DAC, as I go from one track to the next, especially when shuffling rather than playing whole albums sequentially.  I find myself seeking a harmony between "oomph factor" and discernible micro details. Turn it up too high and the dynamics can be literally "unreal" with some recordings - as is typical with artists like Adele, Michael Buble, Phil Collins, Laurence Juber, Jesse Cook, Rhett Butler, or Dave Matthews, for example.  In fact, if you are familiar with the forward, punchy sound of any of these artist's recordings, that's pretty much what the Audiophonics PCM5102 will do to "flatter" recordings.  But if you're playing a recording that's much less full-bodied or punchy (i.e. Cowboy Junkies' The Trinity Session), you can turn it up to appreciate all the amazing stuff that album holds at low energy levels, but also to enjoy this DAC's increased dynamics, bass energy and overall "fuller" sound.

In short, the Audiophonics PCM5102 is a great DAC for anyone who wants to be kind to their ears with low volume levels (somewhat like the "Loudness" switch seen on vintage integrated amps), or at higher volumes, it can be the solution for anyone who wants to make something like an HD600 sound more like an HD650 (and then some.)  Again, it does so with a good deal of finesse.  Don't imagine that this DAC will turn an HD600 (or an HD800) into a V-Moda M-100 or Ultrasone Pro 900.  Lastly, it's surely a great DAC for someone who is after pure "fun factor" in their sound, rather than accuracy and neutrality.

Do I like the Audiophonics PCM5102 more than the HA-2's ES9018K2M (in the chain described above)?  I don't know yet.
tongue.gif
  I really wish I could toggle between them in a single chassis, selecting the sound I want to match the track I'm hearing - on the fly. If I had to live with only one, however - again, for my tastes, and the rest of that chain - I'd probably have to go with the HA-2's ES9018K2M.

biggrin.gif

Mike

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 25
  Here are some switchmode power supplies that can deliver 7.5V DC to the Audiophonics PCM5102 internal LiPo Li-Ion battery (to avoid taking it to higher voltages) and which are stated to be equipped with 2.1mm power plugs:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Adapter-2-1mm-Regulated-Supply/dp/B006QYXFRO    

(I have ordered this supply, because it's regulated. The other, non-regulated switchmode supplies listed here will not vary by much, but who knows where else I might want to use this, in the future.)

This regulated 7.5VDC 2.4A switch-mode power supply (with 2.1mm tip-positive connector) arrived yesterday.

It may be "regulated," but I'm measuring...

7.77 V with my little DROK micro voltmeter
7.76 V with a Radio Shack multimeter
7.76 V with a Fluke multimeter

So, I'm a bit disappointed that it's putting out 3.88 V per cell for the two-cell Li-Ion battery in the Audiophonics PCM5102 (exceeding the 7.4V nominal voltage by 5% and exceeding the specified voltage by 3.6%).  

But, it will work fine, as it's still a lot less than the 8.4V maximum for a two-cell Li-Ion and much better than cooking the battery with a 9V or 12V power supply.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 25
Meanwhile, just as John Kenney (Ciúnas DAC) and the people at Audiophonics have claimed, when I play the most silent gaps I can find in good recordings, I don't hear any change in the pitch black noise floor by plugging in (or unplugging) the external SMPS. The battery is apparently an effective noise-eater and the SMPS is holding it at 7.76 V with plenty of amperage to spare, as the DAC pulls very little current (something like 100mA, at most, judging by how long the battery's voltage persists when the DAC is in use while disconnected from external power.)

For my tastes, with the chain described above, the sound continues to be ideal for reduced-volume, casual listening, but it's a little too garish and aggressive, for my tastes, at the higher volume levels I prefer for analytical, maximum enjoyment listening - especially with tracks already recorded with an excess of "testosterone."   

To convey just how dramatic a change this DAC makes (or does not make) relative to the ES9018K2M of the Oppo HA-2, I think the best way to put things into perspective is to say that even though it's just a DAC (albeit a DAC with more personality than most), it brings about a change as great as the difference between the HD600 and HD650, but I think most HD600 fans would be more pleased with the HD650 than with replacing a neutral and accurate DAC with this PCM5102 DAC.  But HD650 fans who want more in that same direction, might welcome this DAC, as would anyone who has an otherwise "flat" sounding system, that lacks bass energy, dynamics, and sparkle in the treble.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 25
Thanks for the review! I ordered the same DAC on eBay and also a 7.5V 2A power supply to avoid overheating the battery.

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #14 of 25
Thanks! I'm going to gear it up on my Chromecast Audio and iMac towards a t-amp with a simple Sennheiser headphone.

I will also test this DAC on my Naim Nait 5i to see if I can experience any improvements over the analog output from my Chromecast audio.
I don't have any experience with USB DAC's, so I will need some time to figure this out on my Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back