Audiophonics K214 Class A Headphone AMP - Very interesting
Jun 10, 2016 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

danimoca

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm in a "quest" to find a decent headphone amp for not too much money and found this:

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ampli-casquepreampli-amplificateur-casque-sedentaire/audiophonics-k214-class-a-stereo-headphone-amplifier-mosfet-1000mw-16-black-p-11023.html

Don't know why, but I found it extremelly interesting: it's cheap, looks good, both internally and externally and has an internal PSU, which I prefer.

However, nothing matters if it sounds like crap.

Is there anyone who has this amp? Or someone who can understand if it might possibly be any good?

Cheers!

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 6
I haven't, but I can vouch for Audiophonics' build quality and price/performance ratio (in fact, they often sell their own products as DYI options so you can compare it to the separate components prices).

Thanks!

I haven't owned anything from their own brand, but other products do have good reviews. 

I was only wondering if this one was actually better, or at least comparable to something like the Magni 2 (which is similarly priced).

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 6
This reply might come a bit late.         
I haven't heard the Magni 2 but I can vouch for the Audiophonics K214, it's a great little amp with a warm sound signature. It has some niggles, the volume pot button isn't the best (not amazingly smooth and has no volume markers on it), no relay inside so you'll hear some sound coming to your headphones even if you cut the power, the chasis is pretty small and it can get fairly warm to the point where it's very hot to the touch (it's a Class A amp, so it's to be expected a bit, I think it would have needed a bigger case to help dissipate the heat better).      
Haven't tried planars on it yet, but it has plenty of power to push DT880 600ohm with some to spare.     

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 6
This is an old thread (2017) but there is an updated version of the K214 available, the K214 V2 with improved components, not least a good quality ALPS Blue pot, itself a £15 item. Seems a decent alternative to JM Labs Atom 2 (if you don't need the power) at less than half the price here in Europe. The Atom2 comes to over Euro 200 with taxes/shipping. FiiO's K11 is probably one of its closest competitors at around Euro 140 with built in DAC, much nicer looks and more power/facilities but Audiophonics K214 V2 runs in Class A as seen by it's Mosfet's mounted on internal heatsinks and vents.

I would probably expect a different sound signature.

Internal build looks nice for under Euro 100 with a quality transformer, socketry and wiring. A power cable is not included but most will have one lying around.

Audiophonic K214 V2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back