Audiophiles: What is the best flash-based Mp3 player available?
Jul 16, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #106 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenBrouwer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the time I spend on head-fi was a waste?

Yes. But don't let that deprive you of some good entertainment!

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #110 of 115
I don't know if it will be the 'best' of course. As others have mentioned there is really no such thing as 'best' anyway.

I was only suggesting that you look at the Zen as it appears that it will be a very capable unit. Or don't...

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #111 of 115
alright guys, after days or scanning through 2348767 threads trying to find the best SQ portable dap, oh man, my head hurts, but thats expected. obviously we all know that in music (an art) there is no real best, I accept that, but after reading all this there are still some answerable questions:

I'm assuming we shall only talk about just dap+headphones.

lets cut some variables and just talk about SQ. amongst the best SQ most people have suggested are the kenwood/D2/clix2/1Gnano/M6/U3/K5/U3 etc. etc. I can accept that there is not much point to try to put them in any order as different people have different prefrences. However, there are feature sets in each of these players that can alter the SQ. For example, most people have compared these player's SQ using no EQ or sound enchancements at all - which is the correct thing to do - otherwise how does one compare. But once the list narrows down to the above listed players, wouldn't it be interesting to look at the ultimate capabilities in SQ of these daps when EQs are employed too? For one player's flat output can be perfect, yet the SQ may not nessarily be as perfect when EQ is used.

Personally the only thing I use are the custom EQ, BBE, and maybe mash3bass. One particular purist may claim that he prefers the 799's sound straight out of the jack flat, as compared to say the clix2 and/or D2 flat. However, if EQs are used for all these players to try to achieve the best sounding setting for that particular song, would the said person change his opinion? E.g. if I enjoy using mash3bass on the D2, would that make it better than all the others simply because using mash3bass to boost the bass is techically superiour to just using good old EQ boost? Or, for example, would the extra detailed EQ settings avalible on the M6 make it better sounding than the others due to the other's inferior EQ implimentation? I'm just suggestion some hyperthetical situations, not saying they are better or anything. In fact, I'm ASKING, for those of u who are lucky enough to be able to play with all these best players, to rethink, wether u would change ur opinion as to which players u would rank in which order if we now start talking about all the different sound enhencements they offer.

An additional questions I'd like to ask u pros, is that, I know the technology of say, BBE and mash3bass and simple 5bandEQ are very different. But in practice, for example, say, if I want to boost the bass for a particular song on some particular headphones, would most people prefer the good old simple EQ? can a 5band EQ produce effects as good or better than say BBE? On paper, in theory its supposed to be no - otherwise whats the point of emplying those technologies in the first place, however, whats the real life verdict from the pros?

There are many other things I'd still like to consider, but to discuss my first query I've already typed so much. I wonder what people think.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #112 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you are willing to wait for the best flash-based player not-quite-yet available take a look at the new Creative Zen.

http://creative.com/products/product...&product=16999

it looks nice (especially with the sd-card slot) and i was also looking forward to it.
BUT only 25 hours of music playback (others dap have 60! h) and only supports MP3, WMA and AAC.
pretty lame (
wink.gif
) in my opinion!

in the past creative hasn't been outstanding sq wise either...

Quote:

Originally Posted by blamuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright guys, ... lets cut some variables and just talk about SQ. amongst the best SQ most people have suggested are the kenwood/D2/clix2/1Gnano/M6/U3/K5/U3 etc. etc. ...

what about the samsung t9? i had the impression (from reading threads) it has better sq then the k5.

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #113 of 115
I have thoroughly tested D2 and it's BBE features. IMHO BBE is so artificial that my ears hardly tolerate it. I find it useless. MP Enhance is pleasant for a couple of minutes but no longer. Mach3Bass actually doesn't increase bass response but its harmonics. My ears don't get fooled with M3B so it is useless for me. Also BBE itself is a U-shaping band filter which becomes unlistenable beyond level 2. Music loses body and mass.
If player doesn't sound good without EQ-ing on decent headphones, this means you process bad sound turning on the sound enhancements. It will not fix bad sound, just add some funky decoration to an ugly bunch of flowers.

Samsung Yp-T9 is a nice sounding player, I prefer its sound signature to the Cowon D2's. However my flash favourites are: clix2, iRiver-ifp700/800, iPod Shuffle 1st gen., Teclast T39 (AKA VTec V39 Pro). The last one gives the best impression of participation in the music event I've ever heard from a player. You will also hear the advantages of going lossless on T39/V39 which actually most players don't deliver.
There is also a flash mod for Rio Karma available.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #114 of 115
I've never heard of the Teclast before you started talking about it. Can you give us more info/impressions?

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #115 of 115
by the way how does the music card M3 compared to the miniplayer M6 in terms of SQ? I think I will have to go for the MEIZU lineup for I can't justify spending all my money on a D2 or the new ZEN, but oh, how much i wish i can have that SD card slot....

basically I just want the best for my money, be it flash or HD, and the M6/M3 looks like the most value for money....or is there a better choice? >.<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back