Audiophile USB upgrade power adapter
Nov 29, 2003 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 14
Talk to blessingx, he should be able to help better...
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 14
Okay, I had to keep it going.
tongue.gif

Ian did some experiments awhile ago and passed along the recommendations and sold the PS to me. I can confirm the advantage. Going from the stock PS to a Stacor (in this case STA-5790) had a major impact. I'm not talking subtle. For some music I actually thought the AP USB headphone jack approached Meta quality just by swapping the PS. Still recommend an amp, but the change does show similar characteristics. The only disadvantage is the plugs aren't the same size, so you will have to cut and swap those (of visit your local RS).

Nov 29, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 14
I believe there is an atari ac adaptor that has the same power/output rating as the stancor and has the right size plug (and is considerably cheaper). I've never tried it myself though, so I'm not sure. I'm not exactly sure what defines the "quality" of adaptors, but the stancor model is a very well-established one among audiophiles as opposed to the atari, so you might want to go that route in either case.

Nov 29, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 14
Still makes a difference. I was only using the headphone jack reference as a comparison for the difference.

The only thing to keep in mind is if you pass through a digital signal (and bypass the DAC) to say a ART DI/O, there may not be any reason to upgrade. In fact the money spent on the PS may be better spent on the ART, but you have cables and attenuators, etc. to consider there. The latter is certainly a more expensive route.

Nov 30, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Talk to Ian he was the discoverer.

You mean talk to LAN. <mr. T voice> sucka foo' </mr. T voice>
wink.gif

Better power lends it's benefits in the whole device so it makes a difference if you use the headphone jack, RCAs, or even digital cable out.

Nov 30, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 14
I'm going to have to check this out. I'm listening to the head-out right now with AKG K240S, and it sounds pretty damn good right now. The bass could be a bit tighter, and I'm thinking that's what the power supply upgrade will do for it.
biggrin.gif

Now, if I only had the time to run all this stuff down....
mad.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #11 of 14
Anyone else have any suggestions on this? I would love to upgrade to power supply but I'm bad with modifying electronics, and I don't know if I could change the power adapter to fit the connection on the Audiophile USB....

I do plan on running an ART DI/O eventually anyway though, and you said that I shouldn't worry about the power adapter if running an ART. If I do run an ART how would the connections work...What in the back on the Audiophile connects the the ART and then the ART to my amps RCA's.

I guess while I'm on the subject...do you think it's worth it to run an ART DI/O in a setup currently consisting on a Audiophile USB -> Maxed out Meta42 -> Beyer 770's.

Dave

Dec 8, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
The only thing to keep in mind is if you pass through a digital signal (and bypass the DAC) to say a ART DI/O, there may not be any reason to upgrade. In fact the money spent on the PS may be better spent on the ART, but you have cables and attenuators, etc. to consider there. The latter is certainly a more expensive route.

I have an M-Audio Delta410 running out to a Bryston Preamp. The Bryston’s headphone amp is on par with a good, even very good META amp – I’ve done the comparisons, Great stuff Bryston makes! I drive a set of Sennheiser HD600’s.

I compared the M-Audio DAC (Audiophile) to my California Audio Labs DAC using the Delta410’s coaxial out and there is no comparison. The M-Audio is good for a PC sound card but the CAL DAC is superb.

I then compared the M-Audio’s digital-out and the motherboards (Abit IC7) optical digital-out to the California Audio Labs DAC. First I used an AR plastic optical cable ($25) which was ok. The M-Audio digital out was nicer but not to a great extent, I used a quality Monster digital ($50) cable. I then tried a glass optical ($35) cable from the onboard digital optical out to the CAL DAC and was VERY surprised how good it sounded compared to the M-Audios’ coaxial. The difference was nearly insignificant. I am aware that a higher quality digital coaxial off the M-Audio would ultimately sound superior but its convenient to have both my disc transport ( I use an MIT digital coaxial) and my PC (Glass optical) hooked up to the CAL DAC simultaneously (simple switch on the units face to switch between optical and coaxial) as well as a line level signal to the preamps auxiliary. The onboard optical out to the CAL DAC is 10X’s better then the M-Audio’s DAC, no doubt about it. Even MP3’s sound allot better and lossless files are very close to the transport playing the original disc. I have about 10,000 high quality MP3’s (VBR 85%+) and lossless files on my PC. I have hundreds of CD’s too but the PC is so damn convenient and sounds amazingly good, now.

Upgrading an audio card has some merit but adding a HiFi D-to-A converter is the clear answer to better sound. You can even sell your M-Audio card and pick up a cheap(er) sound card with digital out (optical or coaxial) if your motherboard doesn’t already have one
evil_smiley.gif

BTW: I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card too. I like its Windows integration better but it is a tad bit noisier. I was still able to hear noise when the mouse moved and the like. When I switch to the Delta410 card, everything is completely quiet. No noise at all!! And with the crappy AC97 onboard sound device, the digital optical-out part is just as quiet and works great as a digital transport to the CAL DAC.
600smile.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by boead
I then compared the M-Audio’s digital-out and the motherboards (Abit IC7) optical digital-out to the California Audio Labs DAC.

Upgrading an audio card has some merit but adding a HiFi D-to-A converter is the clear answer to better sound. You can even sell your M-Audio card and pick up a cheap(er) sound card with digital out (optical or coaxial) if your motherboard doesn’t already have one
evil_smiley.gif

I agree that an outboard DAC is the way to go but disagree on skimping on the digital out. My RME card has better digital out than the M-Audio cards.

Dec 8, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I agree that an outboard DAC is the way to go but disagree on skimping on the digital out. My RME card has better digital out than the M-Audio cards.

I'm talking about ‘optical’ digital out-put. The M-Audio doesn’t have one and like I said, I’m sure a quality digital coaxial cable like my MIT would be better, but most DAC don’t have two of either type of digital in-puts, hell many don’t have optical at all.

For convenience sake, I chose to use the optical out-put so I can have both digital sources connected at the same time and easily switch between the two without swapping cables.

My point was that even with an optical out-put from a basically free sound device (onboard Abit IC7’s), the improvement in soundstage width and depth, detail and richness (warmth) was not even comparable to the well respected M-Audio Audiophile DAC. Using another device for coaxial digital out-put is a tweak, not a league in difference. The glass optical made a big difference compared to the plastic optical.

See what I mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back