1. External USB
  2. PCI
  3. USB
  4. Sound Cards
  5.  Edit tags

Wiched 29 October 2016 09:42:46

no-profil-100x100.jpg

Hello,

I assembled a new machine and now I don't have the PCI slot and I can't use my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card.

I want to buy a new good external usb DAC sound card, that is at least the quality of the old one.
I read some of the threads here but most people talk in general about sound cards I'm comparing it to the one I had and I am used to. For the money the 2496 was great, so please recommend something good price/quality. My budget is around $80 - $100

Thanks you for the advice

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Is it just no free PCI slots or no free PCI-E or PCI slots?
(in other words are there any free PCI-E slots)
Do you need sound card features or will an external USB DAC/amp do the job?
Is the audio for movies or music or FPS gaming or other?
What headphones are you using?

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 8
I don't have regular old PCI slots at all I only have PCI Express.
I have Yamaha mixer so most of the basic things i have there, all i care is the sound quality.
The audio i mainly for music (most of them flac).
For the moment I use AKG K514 headphones but I plan to get new headphones too.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 8
  I don't have regular old PCI slots at all I only have PCI Express.
I have Yamaha mixer so most of the basic things i have there, all i care is the sound quality.
The audio i mainly for music (most of them flac).
For the moment I use AKG K514 headphones but I plan to get new headphones too.

Schiit Fulla, USB-DAC/amp.

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Thank you for the suggestion, but this DAC is not for sale in my country. Can you suggest something else? I read most of the threads here but most people get portable and i need at least a mic/mixer plug in too.

Oct 30, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 8
  Thank you for the suggestion, but this DAC is not for sale in my country. Can you suggest something else? I read most of the threads here but most people get portable and i need at least a mic/mixer plug in too.

If your looking to buy something external for mixing, you might be better off buying an Audio Interface.
https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 8
I would agree with the above poster, I normally recommend this exact model for people on a budget.  I have been using the 2i4 for years and its such a nice bit of kit for the money.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 8
I honestly don't know how they compare with the scarlett device, but i think an e-mu 0204 or 0404 might also fit the bill here, though probably 2nd hand, at your budget.
iirc, they have the same/newer dac than the m-audio 192, which was the update to the 2496 (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back