Audiophile USB and ART DI/O?
Jul 28, 2003 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Excuse my ignorance here, but as I''ve seen several members discuss using a Revolution or Audiophile and ART DI/O setup, I haven't seen anyone discuss a USB option with the ART. If I was to go Audiophile USB (considering USB because my next Mac will likely be a laptop) will I be able to interface with the ART as a DAC? Assume this would be through the S/PDIF output, right? I know the Audiophile USB is not bus powered, so I assume it shouldn't suffer from the normal complaints that some of the USB devices are being underpowered. I'm obviously very ignorant of this signal path. Trying to upgrade my source to get FLAC files to my 225's and have them sound better than this Xitel thingy. Initially a Mint, but eventually a maxed Meta, will be there too.

Thanks for all your help!

Jul 28, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 11
If it has coax digital out, it can feed the ART DI/O.

Is there a FLAC player for MACs?

Jul 28, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Is there a FLAC player for MACs?

Sorta Kinda. VLC does a decent job, but has problems with USB audio (so my current and future setup). The defunct MacAmp Lite X is great, but dead (serial numbers available on their site). And always the good old standby, XMMS, is an option with Fink. Good news is the Whamb developer, said he/she is going to have a plugin structure to support FLAC shortly... fingers crossed.

Jul 28, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 11
Any other comments about this proposed setup? Pluses/minuses? Am open to other suggestions.

Thanks again.

Aug 2, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 11
i am now also trying to get the best computer setup with coax out->DI/O.
the thing that's now my issue is if the Xitel Pro Hi-Fi Link can output 24bit from a software. this is from Xitel support:
Quote:

it passes the DTS and AC3 in its native format and receives MP3, wav, and CD in 16-bit which is how it leaves it when converting to coaxial digital. This is how the data comes down the bus. The Pro will not receive 24-bit MP3 (there's no such thing).

well, i asked them what happens if i force the files to 24bit. i'll give you the answer soon.
i'm talknig about the Xitel because it's cheaper (can be found for $80), & has optical out too. no other product has that option....dumb! also, if you use the coax out, no need for dedicated power supply for the USB device, it just passes the bit information (as far as i know).
the Sonica Theater is another product you should consider, i asked the tech support that question too, i'll get back to you on that too. it's available on eBay for $99.

it seems to me that it's hard to get a better sound from a computer setup then from a modded DI/O. i've done my research, PM me if you need part supply numbers and help
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Well I just got this Audiophile USB just to try out. i'll let you know what i think of it.

I have Audiophile 24/96, Revo 7.1, and Sonica also HAHA!
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Well I just got this Audiophile USB just to try out. i'll let you know what i think of it.

I have Audiophile 24/96, Revo 7.1, and Sonica also HAHA!
biggrin.gif

Do you work for M-Audio?
blink.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 11
No I don't work for them. I think their stuff just has good bang for buck.

You are using a Mac right? Is their an option to set the master clock to use what's coming in from SPDIF in? I read something in the manual but it's not clear. It's as if I need to use a recording application then configure the ASIO stuff in there.
confused.gif
On the AP24/96 this option is in the control panel but for the AP USB, there's not much in the control panel.

Aug 3, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 11
Hey I was joking about working for them.

The options in the USB control panel are less than the one pictured in the Windows screen. I don't see the one you mentioned either. I don't even see the digital bypass switch pictured.

Aug 3, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 11
yeah i know you were joking.
biggrin.gif

I'm not satisfied with this Audiophile USB so I'm returning it. The control panel is weird and it's not as flexible as I want it to be. Sound quality wise on digital out, it was better than AP 24/96 when the internal clocks are used. This is how most people would use it. I'm clocking my AP 24/96 with a GW Labs DSP and this config surpassed the AP USB by quite a bit. Hooking it up the same way, the AP USB got only a bit better. Putting the DSP after the AP USB did help it. I had extra wallwart and plug so I just spliced together and hooked up a more powerful power supply to the AP USB and that made things quite a bit better. So in conclusion:

GW Labs -> AP 24/96 -> ART DI/O is better than
AP USB (w/ upgraded power supply) -> GW Labs -> ART DI/O .

I'm going to test Sonica -> CO3 -> ART DI/O later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back