Audiophile TEST-CD
Dec 16, 2004 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xing3ds

100+ Head-Fier
I saw a few CDs with the label 'AudioPhile Test-CD' and it had lists of songs which i never heard and never know.

I wonder what it is use for? anyone in here have ever listen to that kind of CDs? is it used as a reference to test audio system? or its just songs with excellent recordings.. or whatever..

Many thanks.

Dec 18, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm getting more and more curious about it... grrr..

600smile.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 15
Could be that the recordings are first rate, but it's more probable (if they are in fact just commercial songs) that's a promotional aimed at those who have yet to find Head-Fi. Personally, i'd never audition anything with songs i didn't enjoy and know in and out.

In sum, unless it's a good mix, probably not worth it. Are they all under the same label?

Dec 18, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrhawk
... Personally, i'd never audition anything with songs i didn't enjoy and know in and out....

that is so true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrhawk
In sum, unless it's a good mix, probably not worth it. Are they all under the same label?

I didnt look it up if its under the same label or not. but I think it is under different label. its even have the SACD version of that test-cd and a few different test-cd. probably more than 5 diff cds and 2 diff sacd..

hmm.... and its also more expensive than the usual cd by 150%

Dec 18, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 15
Are these just "demo discs"?

Audio component manufacturers regularly issue these CD/SACDs. I have 2 from speaker manufacturer Boston Acoustics. If you go the sa-cd.net, click on "titles", then select "demos/sampler", you will find a bunch of these "test discs" from Sony, Marantz (multiple discs available), McIntosh, Ampzilla, etc....

1553.jpg

2035.jpg

Dec 19, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 15
I picked up from a discount bin a test record # 3 "Dynamics" from a label called Opus 3. I had never heard of that label. Anyway, I was very impressed with the sound quality of the disc. It is strictly a music recording--no tones or sound effects. A small booklet tells the listener what to listen for in each track. I went back to the store and bought test record # 4 "Depth of image, Timbre, Dynamics" (again) as well as the 15 anniversary sampler. All are superbly recorded but I don't like the fact that the sampler terminates the compositions rather abruptly. These discs do give a person an idea of how well their stereo is reproducing music. The recordings are done "acoustically"; that is, according the documentation, "We avoid all forms of artifice and electronic manipulation that could change the natural sound." I should add that I do not consider myself an "audiophile"; but then, the best definition of an audiophile I have ever come across is: an audiophile is someone who can hear differences among various components, cables, etc. even when there aren't any.

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 15
SOUNDBOY, yes the cds that i saw are similar to that one, but not specifically for what kind of system.
600smile.gif

DoNotBugMe, hmm.. interesting. I might get one of those.. and test it.

So in summary, it is agreeable that those test-cd can be use to test audio system and they are superb recordings....

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 15
These demo discs, whether they are CDs, SACDs, or DVD-As, are used for both promotional and demonstration purposes. Usually, the music on these discs are well-recorded and are enjoyed by audiophile types. Below are the 2 demo CDs I have from Boston Acoustics....

BA2.jpg

BA1.jpg

Both CDs sound amazing and not just thru Boston speakers. Boston no longer produce these CDs, but keep your eyes out on this series....excellent music and sound quality.

Dec 20, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 15
Mmmm, manring. Heard any of recordings with Andy McKee?

Dec 20, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 15
hmm...

thanks for the respond
600smile.gif

many thanks.

Dec 20, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 15
In Germany, you often get free audiophile demo Cds when you buy an audio magazine such as "stereoplay". Besides that, JaZZ told me about a Swedish audiophile label called "Opus 3". I have loaned a CD from him and so far I really like it although it's not my type of music. I guess that's how you make everything sound good.

Dec 20, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 15
Opus3 does have a website that has their catalogue and also explains their recording philosophy. By consulting the catalogue, one can determine if the label carries the genre of music that one prefers. I am under the impression that most of their sales are made through mailorder. The website lists various countries' distributors.

I have been told that it easier to accurately record small ensembles rather than orchestras or amplified music. Sometimes in test reports, the statement is made that "these speakers are especially suited for... (a certain type of music)."
But if speakers work well with acoustic music, why wouldn't they work well with other types? Just wondering.

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #14 of 15
You may try Naïm audio samplers. They are beautifully recorded and "work" very well with headphones as the recording technique uses only 2 mikes very close one to each other (kind of binaural recording)

Dec 22, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 15
Just last night, I went to the shop that sells those audiophoile test-cd and I saw one cd with the title "Audiophile Reference II - Pop Music" and the back of the cd-case, as usual, there were track numbers, titles, singers, and 'what to listen to' for each track.

and what surprised me is that the PRICE is TRIPLE!!!! than most of the CDs at there.
eek.gif

woww... that a wow! I was about to buy the CD but because of the price, I'm just not sure if its worth it.
confused.gif

its about USD 32.60
and thats considers expensive in here.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back