Audiophile Terms- my Definitions- please add your own- Can any of this be MEASURED?
Aug 12, 2015 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Exacoustatowner

1000+ Head-Fier
What do various Audiophile terms MEAN? Here are a few, Can they be measured? Can you think of any others?

1) Veil: Usually referred to as having been lifted, usually by something that should have little to no effect-such as a fuse or power cord.

2) Musicality- usually described in terms like pace and cohesiveness-fuse rolling can help with this.

3) Emotion: generally referring to feelings generated by music- frequently unattainable with Digital sound-unless using EXPENSIVE power cords, etc.

4) Bright: usually a negative descriptor-generally I think this means increased treble- usually dealt with by cables, fuses or power cords- Graphic EQ need not apply!

5) Warm: decreased treble- generally attributed to Wolfson DAC's- also attainable with fuses, power cords, etc.

5) Cold: See "Bright"- increased treble- and lack of "emotion" in music. Sabre 32 bit DAC (mine).

For the record I use EQ rather than cable swapping. My DAC is known to be COLD-at least on this forum-although the OpppBDP105D has numerous accolades from other Audio Reviewers-including some who MEASURED it's performance to be within 0.1 db from 20-20 Khz….
:)

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 16
  What do various Audiophile terms MEAN? Here are a few, Can they be measured? Can you think of any others?

1) Veil: Usually referred to as having been lifted, usually by something that should have little to no effect-such as a fuse or power cord.

2) Musicality- usually described in terms like pace and cohesiveness-fuse rolling can help with this.

3) Emotion: generally referring to feelings generated by music- frequently unattainable with Digital sound-unless using EXPENSIVE power cords, etc.

4) Bright: usually a negative descriptor-generally I think this means increased treble- usually dealt with by cables, fuses or power cords- Graphic EQ need not apply!

5) Warm: decreased treble- generally attributed to Wolfson DAC's- also attainable with fuses, power cords, etc.

5) Cold: See "Bright"- increased treble- and lack of "emotion" in music. Sabre 32 bit DAC (mine).

For the record I use EQ rather than cable swapping. My DAC is known to be COLD-at least on this forum-although the OpppBDP105D has numerous accolades from other Audio Reviewers-including some who MEASURED it's performance to be within 0.1 db from 20-20 Khz….
:)

1, 4, 5 and 6 can be measured: after all, they're all relative terms for FR. Whether or not people use it appropriately is another matter.​

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 16
  Yes, all those are measured in dollars. Somehow they all avoid measurement with test equipment no matter how many 100's of thousands was spent on the test equipment.

If there is one word I am just over reading here is "timbre". I read one guys review on a dap and he wrote it 6 times in one paragraph.

Really felt like replying with this but restraint got the better of me.

Got to do it here instead.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 16
  If there is one word I am just over reading here is "timbre". I read one guys review on a dap and he wrote it 6 times in one paragraph.

HAHAHA! When my eyes have rolled so far I can see the inside of my head-I come here. Usually when someone is recommending the best FUSE to "tame a Bright DAC" that has an FR within one tenth of a db for the entire range of the best human hearing,

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 16
  1, 4, 5 and 6 can be measured: after all, they're all relative terms for FR. Whether or not people use it appropriately is another matter.​

Generally people find devices with extraordinarily flat FR's to be WARM or Bright/Cold. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 16
  Generally people find devices with extraordinarily flat FR's to be WARM or Bright/Cold. 

If you're talking about DAC's and amps, agreed. For transducers, however, I think those terms are reasonable.

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 16

That is Justin "Timbre"lake, so it would have been an appropriate reply. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back