Audiophile Soundcard/Audio Interface recommendation
Feb 23, 2017 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dasmodul

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I've been happily using an M-Audio Audiophile 192 for years but alas I have to replace my computer and most high end computers now no longer have PCI slots for my M-Audio 192. I noticed M-Audio doesn't sell it anymore and instead recommends USB interfaces. If you guys had like a top 3 soundcard/interface replacement pick, what would they be? Price isn't too much of a concern within reason :p

Thanks!

- D

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 3
First off: do you really NEED a sound card? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5087736-post17.html and check Ethan Winer's audio myths workshop.
Onboard audio has made tremendous advances, though a lot of boards do have an audible noise issue still.

I had to buy a USB interface with bal outputs due to feed my xls 1002 due to noise issues (ground loop?) in sync with a physical noise the physical mobo was putting out, I bought:
Yamaha AG03 (06 if you need more input)

Cheapest balanced output you'll find.
Cons:
Only 2 channel...

Scarlett 2i2 is also balanced, and comparable, but I see reports of driver issues (bsod) on 10.

As for higher channel support...you'd probably end up paying a lot, there are not many balanced products to choose from.

Avoid like cancerous plague that it is:
-unbalanced line outs suck. all gear should use balanced, it prevents so many potential issues. not really necessary for headphones though.
-ASUS/Cmedia (horrid driver support)
-internal sound cards are always a gamble. I've seen less interference/noise/loop issues with them, but the noise is still there.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply. Yeah i need all the inputs/outputs. I think i found a MB "ASRock Z270 Pro" that still has one PCI slot in it. That way i can just cross my fingers and hope Windows 10 has the M-AUdio drivers in it. And I concur from experience Focusrite in general has a lot of driver problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back