Audiophile quality Rap/Hip-Hop recordings
Jul 18, 2007 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Pomomofo4130

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm a big Hip-Hop fan, and wanted to see if anyone knew of any particular Hip-Hop recordings that were better quality and really well recorded and engineered?

Any that you have heard? Any Artists come to mind? An example is Jay-Z's 'The Blueprint'....

Thanks,
Pomo

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 30
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you like instrumental hip-hop at all and haven't checked it out already, DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing....." sounds amazing, being that it's all sampled from old vinyl. Not to mention that it's probably one of my top 10 all-time favorite albums. Essential listening in my book.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 30
heroes.jpg

Sounds good, fresh lyrics, 'slap' .... has it all.

Esthero, Chali 2NA (fr/ Jurassic 5), Mistah FAB guest star.

DOPE.

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 30
Dead Prez: Turn off the radio:The Mix Tape, Vol. 1
Common: Resurrection
Nas: Illmatic
Notorious B.I.G.: Ready to die
The Roots: Do you want more

to name a few. These are required listening even if you aren't an audiophile.

P.S. Esthero is Trip-Hop so close enough haha.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dead Prez: Turn off the radio:The Mix Tape, Vol. 1
Common: Resurrection
Nas: Illmatic
Notorious B.I.G.: Ready to die
The Roots: Do you want more

I was just stopping in to say

The Roots: Things Fall Apart
Common: Like Water for Chocolate

and Latyrx

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 30
The Roots have probably put out the best-sounding hip-hop I've ever heard (in terms of audio, not in terms of music - not that they're bad in that field either). Hip-hop really isn't a genre known for its audio quality, nor was it likely meant to be that way.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Roots have probably put out the best-sounding hip-hop I've ever heard (in terms of audio, not in terms of music - not that they're bad in that field either). Hip-hop really isn't a genre known for its audio quality, nor was it likely meant to be that way.

I love The Roots and loved the latest, Game Theory. However, I thought it suffered from a little bit of over-compression. It sounds a little distorted to me no matter what format or volume level I choose. This is the first time I've noticed this with a Roots cd, though. Has anyone else noticed this?

I do have an old basketball injury that causes an occasional rattling in one of my ears that can sometimes sound like a blown speaker. Although I can usually discern subtle aspects of music I occasionally hear false distortion.

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 30
Wyclef Jean'the carnival is worth a listen.. (LP)
The Streets - Original Pirate Material (UK vinyl) is worthy too.
also, I like older rap in the gangsta genre, ie NWA, Public Enemy, Dj Quick. I think Cypress Hill albums have nice sound and recordings of vocals.
Beastie Boys have some killer sound on Pauls Boutique if you can listen to it on LP..
I like Tribe Called Quest's stuff, all of it.
cool.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EXACTLY!!! "Phrenology" kicks ass in terms of studio work and sound quality. I use this album everytime I test my amp upgrades. Holographic soundstage, natural instruments' presentation and shaking bass slam. BTW, I like this album despite I listen to rap occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back