Audiophile quality headphones for BASSheads?
Apr 7, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #16 of 34
I bought V-Moda Crossfade wireless , cos I wanted a good Bluetooth headphone !

And they surprise me everytime with every source I play them from wirelessly and this Headphone always puts a smile on my face.

They are actually Basshead audiophile grade headphones without a doubt . If you want little more sub-bass emphasis then M100 are slightly better than wireless model. Rest of frequency and signature are identical.

Bass range : 75db @ 20hz / 85db @ 30hz/ 93db @ 50hz
You can amp it up to hear sub bass frequency with authoratitave. I just play from Iphone most of time.

Treble : perfect /soft highs /sibilant free/ smooth sparkles
Mids : I still don't know how they separate the mid bass and the vocals so well. Male vocals sound so good(Vin Diesel/Samuel l Jackson) that thick voice is amazing to hear.

The bass is well controlled , goes really deep with loudness that will suffice you.

These can't be EQ'd well though , cos the frequency range it has been engineered is very different lot of technical cues has been rendered in these cans.

These r the best sounding Bluetooth headphone I ever heard. So clean and airy , good separation !

These put my Sony Xb700 to shame . Cos Xb700 are only good for Sub-Bass that goes lower than 30hz and not many audio files recorded lower than 40hz . Most of songs low r @40 hz except the song By Wiz Khalifa - on my level that goes to 10hz and Get Low by Lil Jon

These retail @ $320 trust me and get these u won't regret.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #19 of 34
Step 1: Buy audiophile headphones and an amp.

Step 2: Boost the bass to desired levels with EQ.

Step 3: Reduce the gain in the digital domain by at least the amount of your largest boost/cut.

Step 4: Control the volume with the amp.

I'm being totally serious here. The thing is, real basshead headphones can't approach the sound quality of audiophile headphones, but plenty of audiophile headphones can behave akin to basshead headphones with enough of a bass boost.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #20 of 34
  Step 1: Buy audiophile headphones and an amp.

Step 2: Boost the bass to desired levels with EQ.

Step 3: Reduce the gain in the digital domain by at least the amount of your largest boost/cut.

Step 4: Control the volume with the amp.

I'm being totally serious here. The thing is, real basshead headphones can't approach the sound quality of audiophile headphones, but plenty of audiophile headphones can behave akin to basshead headphones with enough of a bass boost.

Well, that would certainly raise the volume of the bass, but a lot of headphones' bass gets real loose and distorted with aggressive EQing. You also can't EQ in impact if a headphone doesn't have it to begin with. I think there is also the issue that audiophile headphones aren't for 'BASSheads.' They're usually designed to be neutral to mostly neutral and avoid any very exaggerated frequencies. If you want a crapload of bass, it might be better to get something specifically designed to deliver that, rather than pushing some other can outside of its designed range.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #21 of 34
  Well, that would certainly raise the volume of the bass, but a lot of headphones' bass gets real loose and distorted with aggressive EQing. You also can't EQ in impact if a headphone doesn't have it to begin with. I think there is also the issue that audiophile headphones aren't for 'BASSheads.' They're usually designed to be neutral to mostly neutral and avoid any very exaggerated frequencies. If you want a crapload of bass, it might be better to get something specifically designed to deliver that, rather than pushing some other can outside of its designed range.

That's why I said "plenty of", not "all".
wink_face.gif

The right audiophile headphone with the right EQ settings can have a much higher level of sound quality while approaching basshead-level impact.

The #2 ranked headphone in the extreme bass thread is the Fostex TH900, which is an audiophile headphone in every way except for its V-shaped stock tuning.

And no, you can get lots of impact when it didn't have it at first, just by boosting the bass enough. This is only true for some headphones, though.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 34
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The #2 ranked headphone in the extreme bass thread is the Fostex TH900, which is an audiophile headphone in every way except for its V-shaped stock tuning.

The TH900, in other words, something specifically designed to deliver a crapload of bass...

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #23 of 34
  That's why I said "plenty of", not "all".
wink_face.gif

The right audiophile headphone with the right EQ settings can have a much higher level of sound quality while approaching basshead-level impact.

Fundamentally, I don't disagree with this approach. I definitely think people should use EQ as a first resort when it comes to getting the sound they want. But, it is a matter of degree. When I want BASShead sound, so to speak, I load up my TFZ 5S, EQ the bass up, and hit the bass boost on my amp. The result is at least 18db north of neutral when it comes to bass. I cannot recreate that on my 846's with the bass filters, the EQ, and the bass boost. They still fall short on bass weight and quantity, and who knows what kind of distortion I'm getting. If it's a matter of getting a 'right' kind of headphone with a 'right' kind of EQ to get to basshead levels, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Personally, I'd rather just spend a little and get a one-trick pony bass 'phone.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #24 of 34
  The TH900, in other words, something specifically designed to deliver a crapload of bass...

Its bass never felt strong to me in stock form. Due to its biocellulose drivers, it has a really smooth, delicate sound, and the bass feels like less than there actually is.

That was just one example, though, since it is technically an audiophile headphone with low distortion, high technical performance, and so on.

Fundamentally, I don't disagree with this approach. I definitely think people should use EQ as a first resort when it comes to getting the sound they want. But, it is a matter of degree. When I want BASShead sound, so to speak, I load up my TFZ 5S, EQ the bass up, and hit the bass boost on my amp. The result is at least 18db north of neutral when it comes to bass. I cannot recreate that on my 846's with the bass filters, the EQ, and the bass boost. They still fall short on bass weight and quantity, and who knows what kind of distortion I'm getting. If it's a matter of getting a 'right' kind of headphone with a 'right' kind of EQ to get to basshead levels, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Personally, I'd rather just spend a little and get a one-trick pony bass 'phone.

And with that approach, the sound quality will be lower. This thread is about audiophile-quality basshead solutions, not just any basshead headphone. Some audiophile headphones are good for that with enough EQ. Planar magnetics are a good choice because they almost always have linear bass to start with, but they are also capable of strong impact and can usually handle as much bass as you give it, as long as your amp can handle it too.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #25 of 34
  And with that approach, the sound quality will be lower.

Oh yes, they are noticeably distorted that way. However, it's not for serious listening. I'm not sure any basshead 'phone is.

And with that approach, the sound quality will be lower. This thread is about audiophile-quality basshead solutions, not just any basshead headphone. Some audiophile headphones are good for that with enough EQ. Planar magnetics are a good choice because they almost always have linear bass to start with, but they are also capable of strong impact and can usually handle as much bass as you give it, as long as your amp can handle it too.

Maybe you are right, but there is no way I am boosting the bass ~24db on my 400i's to make them sound basshead like the TFZ's. Seems Procrustean to me. I think EQ is only a good option for minor to moderate changes to the sound. To each his own though.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #26 of 34
  Oh yes, they are noticeably distorted that way. However, it's not for serious listening. I'm not sure any basshead 'phone is.

Maybe you are right, but there is no way I am boosting the bass ~24db on my 400i's to make them sound basshead like the TFZ's. Seems Procrustean to me. I think EQ is only a good option for minor to moderate changes to the sound. To each his own though.

I was referring to just going with any basshead headphone rather than an audiophile headphone that can "do" bass.

Fair enough, but you may be surprised what it can do with sufficient bass boost and amplification.

https://www.google.com/#q=site:head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club+%22400i%22&safe=off&start=0

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #27 of 34

Fair enough, but you may be surprised what it can do with sufficient bass boost and amplification.

All right, I'll bite. What is your recommendation for an audiophile can to reach BASShead levels? Something without requiring permanent or semi-permanent (such as pad swaps or switching filter materials) mods, preferably.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #28 of 34
  All right, I'll bite. What is your recommendation for an audiophile can to reach BASShead levels? Something without requiring permanent or semi-permanent (such as pad swaps or switching filter materials) mods, preferably.

Planars are probably your best bet there. You could experiment with your HE400i for starters. But you may need to use a powerful amp to get more impact, since all that extra bass requires a lot more power than normal. (I've only used the HE6 with headphone amps, but have read impressive things about what speaker amps can do for it.)

For closed-back, I got crazy impact from the Yamaha HPH-MT220 with Brainwavz sheepskin leather pads and strong bass boosts...but the sound quality isn't as good as the stock pads IMO. (Still way better sound quality than the basshead king, the JVC HA-SZ2000, though.) On some tracks I could get head-rattling bass with the stock pads without any EQ too. But since (again, IMO) the $20 semi-open Koss KTXPRO1 has far better sound quality than the MT220 and has decent bass impact, it's hard for me to recommend the MT220. On the other hand, the KTX can't handle strong bass boosts and clips regardless of the amp.

This should go without saying, but you should also experiment equalizing the other frequencies to tweak the sound to your taste.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #29 of 34
You can get pretty intense bass from an HE6,like serious slam.Stock the bass on it is pretty loose but there are mods(sorry but even SZ2000s need mods)that you can do to the HE6 to get the bass tight and slammin at the same time,and yes as mentioned above,thats coming direct from the speaker taps of a vintage(conservative)100wpc receiver. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #30 of 34
  You can get pretty intense bass from an HE6,like serious slam.Stock the bass on it is pretty loose but there are mods(sorry but even SZ2000s need mods)that you can do to the HE6 to get the bass tight and slammin at the same time,and yes as mentioned above,thats coming direct from the speaker taps of a vintage(conservative)100wpc receiver. 

My Oppo PM2s had good bass until i connected them in balanced mode with a special cable terminated for the PONO.
now they really rock and have excellent slamming bass!! and thats with no other amp in the circuit, very impressive
upgrade over single ended operation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back