audiophile quality albums
Feb 8, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #226 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the list, I can add a recent re-discovery of mine

Jeff Buckley - Grace (great album, and excellent recording quality)

I agree, i always use this album for reference, namely Lilac wine and Hallelujah are great tracks for scrutinizing new equipment.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #227 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon ...

X2

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #228 of 340
Norah Jones - Not Too Late is a very well produced/mastered album, and its not loud! Care has actually been taken!

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #229 of 340
Ginger Baker Trio "Going Back Home" and "Falling Off The Roof"
Dave Brubeck "Time Out"
Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue"
Eric Clapton "Unplugged"
Rolling Stones "Stripped"
Jacques Loussier Trio "Play Bach" Vol's 1 and 2
Deep Purple "Made In Japan"
Jimi Hendrix "Live at Berkeley Community Centre"
Black Sabbath "Live Evil"
King Crimson "The Great Deceiver" and "Live on Broadway"
Pink Floyd "The Wall" and "Is There Anybody Out There?"
Santana "Lotus"
Yes "Montreux 2003"
Grateful Dead "Fillmore West 1969"

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #230 of 340
Feb 10, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #231 of 340
Dream Theater - Awake

I fell in love with that album after I got my MS-1s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #232 of 340
1) Check out DCC and other Steve Hoffman releases

2) Check out MoFi (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs)

3) Talk to LFF

4) Come to the National Meet there will be tons of audiophile music floating around, and you'll get to meet Steve Hoffman!

Some others to check out:

Korn - Unplugged (Be a little cautious with MTV unplugged albums, Korn, Clapton, and Nirvana are awesome! Some others totally suck)

Cantus - Let Your Voice Be Heard

Cantus - Deep River

The Tony Bennett / Bill Evans Album (Fantasy Records)

Infected Mushroom - It's arguable whether or not their stuff could be considered "audiophile" but I find many of their songs to be very good for testing gear, particularly bass and dynamic range.

Diana Krall's Live in Paris album is also quite well recorded. I often use "A Case of You" as a test track.

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Elvis Costello is strikingly well recorded. Elvis sounds surprisingly good singing jazz... I think he missed his real calling. <shrug> He did marry Diana Krall...

Jacintha ...can't really pick a standout, it's all amazing.

Jane Monheit is a little hit and miss, but some of the recordings are phenomenal... Over the Rainbow on Come Dream with Me is staggering.

Maybe not quite audiophile, but well recorded and worth checking out would be Norah Jones with the Peter Malik Group and The Little Willies

Rebecca Pidgeon's Retrospective is generally pretty well regarded for recording quality and her version of Spanish Harlem is on I believe it's Chesky's test disc.

Limon (Talk to LFF)

Not quite audiophile but very close would be Dixie Chicks - Home. Although, track 11 "Godspeed" pushes into audiophile territory IMHO.

Many Telarc recordings are also quite good

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #233 of 340
Did anyone mention all the singles from STAX Records 1950's/1960's? Man, they were tough!

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #234 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon ...

In its day, I considered that one my favorite. Its day has passed, however. It has been surpassed many times over SQ wise (including by the recent solo albums from DSotM engineer Alan Parsons.)

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #236 of 340
Mannheim Steamroller: Fresh Aire 8 (DVD-Audio)

In terms of being audiophile quality, I don't think it gets much better than this.
o2smile.gif

I like the music myself, but I know others feel that they have gone downhill since Fresh Aire IV.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #238 of 340
I had not heard any Porcupine Tree before reading this thread, so I You Tubed a few videos. NICE! I love DT so this was a nice find for me. Can't wait to hear them on my home gear. Is there anything better than finding new music that hits you on the first listen?

Looks like they have a nice catalog too, curse you head-fi, again!

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #239 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dream Theater - Awake

smily_headphones1.gif

agree! terrific sound in that album. also in "images and words",simply amazing. although i didnt like the sound in their other albums,its somewhat bloated and grey like something got screwed with the recording!,you cant hear the high notes as in "awake" and "images."
i also had the second liquid tension experiment album and the sound in there is also grey and muffy...maybe its related somehow to petrucci
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #240 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dream Theater - Awake

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm in love with that album even with crappy headphones
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back