audiophile power cords, worth it?
Apr 17, 2004 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

mickelae

New Head-Fier
i will start off by saying my system goes as follows...
corda prehead -> cardas neutral reference interconnects -> mf a3.2 -> equinox cables -> hd650
so my question is will upgrading the power cords to the prehead and cdp produce a noticable improved performance. if so, what are some recommendations? i started looking into the cardas power cords. my budget is around 300 each. thanks.

Apr 17, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 27
I have a Synergistic Master Coupler X-series to my Prehead and it works well, what cable is best I don't know. Tighter bass, somewhat smoother and better detail and soundstage. However, Prehead has a built-in filter for RFI so it probably not the component that improves most with a power cord. A power cord for the CDP is usually more effective, of couse not excluding a power cord on the amp also.
Worth it? It was for me and I think it will bring your system a step up.

BTW, how does the Cardas NR work with the Prehead? I sometimes consider to buy a NR.

Apr 17, 2004 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 27
Mikelae,

If you have around $600.00 to spend, I would recommend buying a BPT power conditioner and a couple of Signal Cable cords. You can purchase a BPT CPC with a 300 VA LoNo transformer and the cords and probably be close to your budget limitations. The cords alone make a difference, but the addition of clean power makes a night and day difference. A good power conditioner upgrades every component in the chain to a very noticeable degree. The Signal Cable Magic Power cord is very good and starts at $59.00.

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 27
I second that. A good balanced transformer or a used PS Audio P300 is better, but didn't think about that one can get it that cheap in US. I have good experience of the P300.

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 27
I have a Corda HA2. I experimented with quite a few powercords on it and found it really easy to hear cable differences. However, the other day I had to use a long run (over 20ft) long interconnect and the effects of changing out powercords made a much subtle difference. But I do remember that powercords made the single biggest difference in the bass department. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 27
thanks for you replies/suggestions guys. this is probably a newbie question, but i noticed that power cords come with an amp rating, most commonly 15amp and 20amp. whats this about and which one is appropriate for my system. i dont want to mistakenly get the wrong cables and fry my system.

Quote:

BTW, how does the Cardas NR work with the Prehead? I sometimes consider to buy a NR.

anders, the nr goes great with the prehead. ultra detail. as you probably guess this combo really brings out the best of well recorded music. but if the album is not well recorded, the extra detail could be bothersome. not sure if youve seen judes review of the nr, but here it is

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 27
Check out the Lat International AC2 PC. Under 200.00. I've been using them for years on everything I've owned. They've helped it all. www.latinternational.com They plugs and IEC are upgraded from the ones in the pictures. Great cables.

Apr 18, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 27
I have three aftermarket power cords in my system, two are by VH Audio and the other is from Transparant. The Transparant came with my Arcam CD player. The owner of the store I bought the Arcam from really tried to get me to buy one, saying it would significantly improve the sound. When I balked (I didn't believe it would make any difference), he pulled out one of his demo cords and gave it to me gratis, saying it WOULD be important. I never A/B'd the cords as I still was skeptical. Don't even know where the original cord is now.

Fast forward to about a year ago. I was moderator on an audio board and there was a thread involving several board members switching out the cords on their Rotel preamp/processors with one from VH Audio, with very positive results. I kept on questioning whether they could be right and they kept on urging me to give the thing a try. I did so, still doubting, but at least willing to find out for myself. They arrived. I set my system so that I could easily A/B the things. To my amazement, the sonic benefits were undeniable. The ground floor was significantly reduced. Sonically, the system seemed to sparkle. I couldn't figure out why this should be so I posted over at AudioAsylum. They speculated that it wasn't the grungy electrical power coming into the house, but, due to better shielding, electro-magnetic fields radiating from things like my amp weren't affecting the Rotel as much.

I don't know what the real deal is, but I do feel very strongly that the cord made a difference with the Rotel. When I bought one for my Denon 1600 DVD player, I was unable to detect any difference. When I brought this hit and miss thing up with a manufacturer of cords, the response was that this is to be expected, depending on the component, the positioning of other cables, the quality of the cable being replaced, and other factors such as this.

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 27
I think they made a difference in my system. When I went from regular power cord to a VirtualDynamics Power 3 cable on my source (Sony 333ES), even though I didn't think I would be able to tell a difference, I did notice: blacker blacks, increased bass, more upfront detail. How this works, I have no idea. Maybe it's psychological. Either way, I could tell a difference. Now I'm going to have to get another pair for my amp...

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 27
I can see how something like a power conditioner might improve performance a bit. However I really don’t understand how a lone replacement power cord could make any difference what so ever. Anyone care to explain how upper market power cords are any better than standard ones?

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

There are mains cables (power cords) available that defy belief. Would you spend US$3000 for a 2 metre mains lead? You can buy a very nice amplifier indeed for this sort of money, but they are there, and someone must be buying the stupid things.

What possible effect 2 metres of flexible cable can have to counteract the kilometres of power company's wiring is a simple question to answer. None. Or, to more precise, none whatsoever. I am not referring to cables with inbuilt filters or other esoterica here, just perfectly ordinary mains leads.

LMAO !!!!!

Apr 19, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 27
It is hard to decide whether you guys actually *think* what you hear or if the scientific people are correct and it all makes next to no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back